A curious series of economic questions

I am though. Man, I would love for shuffle to be translated. I really want to play that game.

It’s an US game…
With PC games you don’t have the problems like with pS2 games, etc…
You can play it in any country.

Ah… In fact it doesn’t matter here because it’s an Anime DVD.
And it’s a Zone 1 DVD (US zone).

It’s not exactly true because your PC would need to understand the character encoding of the game. Since XP, it’s not much a trouble any longer (though you’d need to install the Asian support files, and switch to them), but in earlier versions of Windows, you’d need to install a complete version of said country’s Windows version in order to get the specific support (as a general rule; there were programs to partially emulate the matter, such as NJStar or RichWin).
Also, some games have a protection similar to the consoles’ region detection, check the regional settings (or a file specific to their country version of Windows) and refuse to execute if the current regional settings don’t match their country. IIRC, at least ILLUSIONSOFT is famous for such protections.

Some game-installers by SELEN check the user’s timezone during installation - and create an invalid license-file if it isn’t set to GMT + 9 hours.

Some VNs do that… I’ve taken to just leaving my system clock on GMT +9 out of frustration.

Looks like they’ll go pretty far out of the way to keep people from playing there games. It’s kind of a shame, but it’s their choice to do it. As long as there’s a way to bypass it than it isn’t too bad.