Convince me to buy Higurashi

The backgrounds really do add a lot to the game. It basically gives the feel of a distorted realityto reflect the mental breakdown that occurs during the game. However, I think the main artwork wasn’t done with that intention. However its not terrible. I’ve seen worse “professional looking” anime-style art. It would have been nice for some scene images and a slightly more proofread translation, but that’s not much.

Also, those kawaii characters add to the shock value when the cute story starts turning into something completely else… and with the new PS graphics with those generic looking characters, this intention is pretty much gone…

I played Eien no Aselia first, and I like both games, though Eien no Aselia has a special place in my heart. Less than great isn’t necessarily bad.

If you liked Ever17, I think you might enjoy Umineko more. I love Umineko way more. And speaking of vndb, it has a ranking of 9.08 compared to Higurashi’s 8.60. If the art style really is an issue for you, I think Umineko’s art might be slightly more refined.

Even though it’s technically the sequal to Higurashi, you really don’t need to play Higurashi to get it. It’s really only a sequel on the level of some surface references.

Reporting: I bought the first part, and it’s pretty entertaining so far, I really like it. I still flinch a little whenever a character sticks their swollen hands out, but otherwise it’s ok. At one point I was actually impressed with the graphics (When Rena got those creepy eyes for the first time, I literally shuddered).