How do you play your bishojo games?

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
In general I find brute force + educated guesswork makes short work of lots of b-games...

How do you use brute force?
([i]asks stupid question, expects stupid answer[/i])
Did the Italian maid ever rule over the Gloria's empire?

quote:
Originally posted by Gulyen:
How do you use brute force?
(asks stupid question, expects stupid answer)

Brute force is an ancient and time honored algorithm in computer science circles; usually it's quite simple to implement, easy to understand, and works well but slowly.

Essentially, you say "screw that 'intelligent guesses' stuff" and simply exhaustively try all the possibilities until you find the solution.

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
Essentially, you say "screw that 'intelligent guesses' stuff" and simply exhaustively try all the possibilities until you find the solution.

In other words, "Its having a brain fart while debugging."

And it (brute-force searching) probably works rather well for, say, Critical Point or Gloria. Slightly less well for Tokimeki Check-In.

And trying it for Casual Romance Club or True Love would be… a loooong undertaking

quote:
Originally posted by Gulyen:
Did the Italian maid ever rule over the Gloria's empire?

Actually, she did all the time pull the strings behind Michelle and Charme, but she also was just Lisa's henchwoman.

( you asked for this spoiler, right? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img] )

A bit late, but I decided at last to answer…

For ADVs/NVLs, I play a first time without trying to particularly go after a girl, but rather to get a “feel” of the game and, well, know the characters. AFAIK, I seldom get any “good” ending this way… ^^;;;;;
Then, I try to get the endings with the girls I like. In such play, I don’t use the skip function, since I want to share each and every part of the story of the girl.
Once that’s done, I download a FAQ and go through all the remaining paths (if there are still some). For this part, I use the skip functions. After all, it’s to “get” the girls I didn’t like (it happen sometimes) or “minor” events I didn’t get.
An exception is if I can’t seem to get a girl’s ending (after two or three tries usually), in which case I immediately look for a FAQ…

For SIMs, I download a FAQ prior to playing and play through a story while regurlarly reading the FAQ. I do so because SIMs tend to have random events which need a lots of save/reloads, so it’s better to know in advance where to perform them to save time.

For RPGs, I download a FAQ prior to playing and go though the story by following the FAQ. Main reason is RPGs take me a lot of time (I have a tendency to want to finish at max level with doing all subquests and getting all items), so I don’t want to miss anything.

Once starting a game, I don’t stop until I finish it completely… though I may be playing some others at the same time. ^^;;;;;

My main concern when playing to bishoujo games is:

• Not missing anything
  • And, foremost, time. I don’t want to spend useless time looking for stuff I missed (my pleasure is reading the story not searching for the story… and I want to see my pile of games decreasing! ^^;;;; )

[This message has been edited by olf_le_fol (edited 09-18-2003).]

quote:
Originally posted by bokmeow:
IN my opinion Gloria was an effort to combine Love Sim with Visual Adventure.
??????????? Gloria was an ADV. How could you possibly think it's a SIM? Being the former or the latter has to go with how the game is played (i.e. the mecanism of the game), not how many branches you have in the decision-tree...
BTW, did someone play to "Kawarazakike no ichizoku 2" yet? Looks like it has a lot of paths as well?

quote:
Originally posted by olf_le_fol:
[quote] Originally posted by bokmeow:
[b] IN my opinion Gloria was an effort to combine Love Sim with Visual Adventure.

??????????? Gloria was an ADV. How could you possibly think it's a SIM? Being the former or the latter has to go with how the game is played (i.e. the mecanism of the game), not how many branches you have in the decision-tree...
BTW, did someone play to "Kawarazakike no ichizoku 2" yet? Looks like it has a lot of paths as well?

[/b] [/quote]

ole_le_fol, don't give me those question marks. I have gotten the same frigging story ending over and over again, yet ending up with a different girl every time I did that. Give me your incredulity if you will, but spare me the sardonic attitude.

quote:
ole_le_fol, don't give me those question marks. I have gotten the same frigging story ending over and over again, yet ending up with a different girl every time I did that. Give me your incredulity if you will, but spare me the sardonic attitude.
My, my, aren't we touchy today? It wasn't sardonic. I'm just surprised by how you could call such a game a SIM...

quote:
Originally posted by olf_le_fol:

quote:

Hey guys!
I think, you both are fighting about the definition "What is a SIM" while you surely don't disagree about several facts:

1.) In GloRiA, there are no puzzles, that have to be solved in order to make the story advance (a typical stylistic element in an ADV)
2.) GloRiA has no repetitve streotypical days that just vary a bit by the proceeding story (a typical element in a SIM)
3.) GloRiA has love-meters for each woman/girl (a typical element in a SIM), but they remain invisible until the ending (not as typical).

GloRiA certainly isn't a SIM in the sense of a typical SLG, but it uses one typical mechanism of them. And bokmeow didn't call it a real SLG, but an attempt to mix genres.
On the other hand, I still have no criterion how to distinguish and ADV from a NVL, so I am not certain if ADV applies to GloRiA either.

If I would write a review of GloRiA right now, I would still it a Multipath-NVL, because it has a continuing storyline and the player just chooses between different choices to find a certain ending.
I wouldn't stress that one SIM-mechanism too much, because otherwise, I would have to put a lot of other games into the SIM-category:

- Dividead: You have to make at least 7 out of 8 important decisions right to get certain endings

- Come see me tonight: You have to make for each of the girls at least 5 out of 6 decisions right inorder to get another set of endings

- Kana: I think, there was even a walkthrough that explained the meters and how they influence the outcome in this game

- Tokimeki CheckIn!: If you don't follow the paths regarding your target-girl, you'll only end up in one of the bad or the normal ending

I stop here, but theer are a lot of games that use hidden meters and still are Multipath NVLs. The only difference in GloRiA is: They are displayed in the ending.

But is that a reason to start a flamewar between two members of this BBS? Especially two whom I dearly respect?

[This message has been edited by Unicorn (edited 09-18-2003).]

quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn:
(...)
3.) GloRiA has love-meters for each woman/girl (a typical element in a SIM), but they remain invisible until the ending (not as typical).

*shrugs*
Bah, I don't care much after all: I was *just* wondering and bokmeow took that as an offense...
But, just as I though Spec. was using a too broad definition of an ADV back then (which would turn almost all games into ADV), I think as defining SIM as having love-meters for the girls would turn as well a LOT of games into SIM. Call them "flags", "key events", "love meter", "points" or whatever you want, but how do you think a game determines which girl's story to branch into, save for an invisible parameter (program-wise), when the final branching happens only late in the game (i.e. not determined in the very beginning)?
But, bah, bokmeow can call them as he wants to, I won't argue (and I didn't want to argue, as I repeatdly said: I was just surprised, hence the question...). It's not like it matters anyway...
quote:
On the other hand, I still have no criterion how to distinguish and ADV from a NVL, so I am not certain if ADV applies to GloRiA either.

*shrugs more*
Ask bokmeow. He'll tell you.

[This message has been edited by olf_le_fol (edited 09-18-2003).]