It's back! (If only in download form)

Go on, post your eroges list. Eroge is a ridiculous space-eater and I don’t see how you can manage on a 400gb drive.

I don’t have any eroge on my gaming computer. It’s connected to a TV, making text ridiculously hard to read, not to mention it’d be a waste of power to be running a 4870 while playing eroge.

As for eroge, I don’t keep games installed longer than a year after I finished them. If I really don’t care about them, even less. There’s really no point in keeping them on my hard drive since I don’t tend to replay them. I have enough problems finishing new games. :lol: Even so, most eroge are 1-4 GB. Even on a 1 TB drive, that’s 250 games at worst. Are you really saying you have that many installed? That’s an order of magnitude higher than needed.

Again, you aren’t planning ahead for how big games will be. As for “You can easily install them again from disks”, who wants to wait around for a game to install when you can just leave it on the hard drive? Wouldn’t you much rather be able to just fire up whatever game you want from your collection on the slightest whim, especially with how little storage costs right now? Lastly, keeping the start menu orderly isn’t that hard, especially since currently a large number of my installed games are on Gametap and Steam.

I’d love to venture in to Linux (since I try and stay away from Microsoft stuff as much as I can), but unfortunately if you are a serious PC gamer, you are pretty much shackled to Windows because of DirectX (at least on the machine you play games on).

Those linux clusters are so powerful you could pretty much run Vista, XP, 2000, ME, and pretty much every other distro of linux on virtual machines as if you were running that OS on a dedicated motherboard, not to mention if any viruses try to Eff you up they will only destroy the Virtual machine’s OS that it was opened in, so the main linux cluster would be unscathed~ But yeah directx is quite the pain in the ass :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, I did plan for size increases in games. My calculation was based on 6 GB games, whic his the average size of games now. Considering the vast majority of games aren’t 6 GB since old games are usually 1-2 GB, the average would take into account the average future game being 10+ GB. Also, I wouldn’t expect many games to reach that since most games are tied to consoles, and the 360 has a limit of ~7.5 GB. Since I don’t expect a replacement for the 360 for at least another 2 years, I think 6 GB is a reasonable number. But hey, you want to be unreasonable. Let’s assume the average game on your HD will somehow be 10 GB in a few years. That’s still 300 games. I’ve been buying PC games for 12+ years and I don’t have that many games (close, but not quite), let alone that many I would ever play again.

And since you mentioned your games are on Gametap and Steam, that even defeats your purpose even more doesn’t it? You don’t need a backup of any of those games. You can just redownload them in the future whenever you want with a few clicks. Who cares if your HD crashes? Just have a backup of your saves. Since Steam is building a system to put your saves online, there’s even less of a reason to backup your games in the future.

Beh, downloading games again is even more annoying than installing from disks again. The main difference in our philosophies is that you are fine with installing and removing things repeatedly, while I would much rather install it once and leave it there. I freely admit that I am a data packrat, following the “Just In Case I Need It” packrat motto. It is better that I channel my inner packrat in to data than be a compulsive hoarder of physical objects (a trait that runs in my family somewhat), because it costs less, doesn’t impact my physical health, and causes no safety hazards.

I am a packrat. Both in physical items and digital items. One of the reasons I’ve slowed down buying things is simply because I ran out of room to put them. Same for digital stuff. I have some Starcraft game saves from 1999 somewhere. I hestitate whenever I sell things in RPGs. But the thing is, I know where to draw the line. Deleting a game you have a disk of or can download again is not losing the item. I just consider it moving it from something like an inventory to an archive/bank/storage chest or whatever. I might not be able to use it right away, but I still can use it if I wanted. I haven’t lost it.

The thing is, most packrats I know never use most of their things. Why do you need that many games on short notice? It’d be better to use the money saved on HDs for more games or whatever. It’s like buying 4 of the most expensive bags in WoW when you only have enough items to fill half a bag.

I know I have >250 installed =P But eroge isn’t even my main space eater, really; I just have a lot of stuff.

The day I realize I have 250+ eroge would be the day I realized I should have bought a car or something instead.

Eroge is more valuable, educational, useful and entertaining than a car.

I second that notion! :lol: