18 or older... why?

Umm refresh my memory…

Why is it companies are still sporting the “All characters in our games are 18 or older” when about a year or so ago the US passed a law where in games or anything animated that was no longer required… well is it really necessary?

Well only reason i bring it up is because on the bottom of the page of Casual Club Romance it says that… And im NOT to say they absolutly are not 18 or older but there are at least 2 characters where u could make a huge argument that they are NOT 18 or older…

As i said… it makes no differnce… But is it a politically correct thing to do or what?

Err…don’t forget there are other countries in the world besides US. Just because US passed the law doesn’t mean that applies to all other countries in the world.

There are customers from other places (like Canada and Europe) who buy these games and to play safe I am sure companies will still want to keep that disclaimer for the sake of international customers. So I guess it’s still a politically correct thing to do like you said.

[This message has been edited by Lamuness (edited 09-18-2003).]

It may be politically correct. And I don’t particularly object to them making those claims on the packaging, as long as they don’t tamper with the game.

But I was irritated to discover that when updating Season of the Sakura for the JAST Memorial Collection, they’d changed every time it uses the word “girl” of one of the girls you’re at school with to the word “woman” instead. To me that seems rather OTT, and it gets quite irritating during play It’s not like people don’t use “girl” to refer to anyone aged 20, 25, even 30… sigh.

hee hee – they might actually take it as a compliment and like you for it…

I don’t know about other players, but frankly, I wouldn’t ever even dream of touching a girl under 20, let alone 18. (My new girlfriend is 28.) I don’t care how much she begged me or how many articles of clothing she removed to entice me. I know temptation and I can walk away. Been there, done that. I just don’t think that anyone nearly half my age could even be mature enough to understand what a real relationship is all about. So I prefer games with older characters.

Yes, I know these are games, and that’s awesome. It’s just good ol’ clean fun. It’s all fantasy, no one gets hurt, and that’s the simple truth. As far as I’m concerned, there doesn’t need to be a law about it, but I have certain feelings about the Japanese younger than 18 genre that are best left unspoken.

Best regards,
Made in DNA

quote:
Originally posted by chronoluminaire:
I To me that seems rather OTT, and it gets quite irritating during play [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/frown.gif[/img] It's not like people don't use "girl" to refer to anyone aged 20, 25, even 30... sigh.

I agree with you on this. Woman, girl, gal.. yeesh, it's the same for man, boy, guys if you ask me. =P But this is a personal preference of mine. Some people just have a preference for one word over another. Easier to just let it go. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img] Truly an unimportant thing in the scheme of life.

Best regards,
Brent

Making sure that all characters are over 18 is just good sense, seeing as how America is itself a country founded by Christians fleeing persecution from other countries. That Puritanism rears its head in the strangest places, but it’s always there. One problem is that, even though the Supreme Court (recently) did declare that a picture of a 17 year old can’t be called a child, that picture (or a comic book, or a literary work) could always be attacked on the grounds of obscenity and violating community values. So we must, for the protection of our customers and ourselves, follow certain guidelines, such as stating that all characters are over 18.