3DRealms is dead. Long live 3DRealms.

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1127

This makes me sad on so many levels.

I’d lost all hope for the Duke a long time ago so it’s doesn’t hurt to much. I do find it funny that as soon as they had finally started making progress they get shut down. The god of vaporware continues his eternal reign.

Someone will pick it up and release it. The name ‘Duke Nukem Forever’ has such high name recognition that it would probably sell boatloads of copies no matter what the actual game was like. Some company that knows how to actually produce some kind of product and get it out the door will put something together and it will get released.

Usually I’m not a fan of the “this is the schedule, you have to get the game out according to the schedule, consequences be damned” attitude (see: Wind Waker), however, you have to say “enough” somewhere and feature-complete the bloody thing, and finish the damn game.

As I understand it, someone already bought the Duke intellectual property… so don’t you fear, he’ll be back. 8)

Having said that, 3DRealms made some pretty stupid decisions/comments. They made too many mistakes, too many times, without enough successes. Their collapse, is not surprising at all.

No, it isn’t. I mean, obviously, there was some kind of huge clusterfark going on over there, or they wouldn’t have taken twelve years to … come up with anything. Really, I don’t believe they’ve ever shown the game playable. What were they expecting? Twelve years might be a record for longest amount of time ever taken to develop a game. Or it might have been, had anything actually been completed.