A review of "Way"

Howdy all.

I thought I’d post a product review since I was impressed.

Way Review

By Buenoexcellete

Genre:
Card Game, Training Simulation

Story:
You help “Chucky” (a sort of small perverted stuffed animal) regain his humanity and marry. There isn’t a lot to the story, but who cares? You are there to see the CG’s and turn a bunch of virgins into nymphomaniacs.

Sound:
There are 4 or 5 MIDI themes, only 3 of which are actually heard during the game. The last one is played during the credits. Fortunately it is possible to turn the music off since the same one is playing through most of the game, and it gets pretty repetitive.

Graphics:
The graphics can be displayed in full screen mode, or in a window. There are a few animations, but the CG are largely static.

My Review:
I’ve only played a few Bishoujo games before this, and they were the overly difficult Love Love Show, and the incredibly boring Private Nurse. However I had some money, and some time to waste, so I figured I’d give Way a try. I’m damn glad I did too. This game is addictive as all get out. The play is very simple, but deep.

You start the game by choosing which girl you want to play with. You can choose:

Naydia: A dark elf girl you captured in the forest.
Tsukia: A slave who is secretly in love with you
Sakuya: Tsukia’s sister. She’s a virgin who hates your guts
Maid: Another virgin who is, appropriately enough, a maid
King Cat: Not a girl, but somebody you have to beat occasionally.
Heinie: Some kind of demon woman that you have under your thrall
Masiro: A virgin angelic warrior
Yeado: A virginal wizard girl

You are then presented with a scenario in which you are either having sex with the girl, or are attempting to get her in the mood. This is accomplished by a simple card game. You are given a starting hand of anywhere between 5 and 12 cards, and there are anywhere between 4 and 20 cards face up on the board. Your task is to match cards and assemble a combo. The girl is also attempting to match cards and remove them from play. Each combo is worth a certain amount of points, and the amount of points determines the intensity of the girl’s orgasm.

This is where it gets interesting. At first it is very difficult to assemble any combo’s due to the girl’s inexperience, but each time they orgasm in a different way they become better at it. This translates directly into more cards in your hand and more cards on the board which turns into higher value combos. At some point, you can unlock some new girls and eventually marry two of them.

The game also has some strange quirks that I hadn’t expected. One of the card combos is called “Seed” and if you end up with that combo while having sex with one of the girls, she has a chance of becoming pregnant! Moreso the game somehow keeps track of the date, and if you “Seed” on a full moon then any of them WILL become pregnant. This means that she is removed from play until you manage to beat the King Cat.

The CG’s are all very well done. My only complaint is that some of the girls look exactly the same, but with differently colored hair. The censorship that is there is very minimal, and shouldn’t bother anybody. Unfortunately there aren’t a whole lot of CG’s, only about 4 per girl on average, but from what I understand the game is a work in progress and new pictures are being added all the time.

The translation is¬Ö. Rough at best. Sometimes its pretty damn funny, and other times its just frustrating. It took me about an hour to figure out how to play because the translation was so choppy, but I persevered and got my money out of it.

Overall I would call this a hell of a value for the 18 bucks I spent. A far greater value that I got out of Private Nurse at 50 bucks (No offense to anybody who liked the game). As far as I can tell it’s only available from Dlsite.com. Here’s the link

http://www.dlsite.com/work/e_workshow/ea0002

A doujin downloadable game, huh? Interesting. The fantasy premise alone is enough to perk my ears.

Edit: Why the hell doesn’t that site have some sort of filter to separate English games from Japanese-only?

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 01-27-2005).]

Hm. Those are some really nice CGs…

…too bad I’m not into yarugee. ^_^;;

An introcution of yourself wouldn’t be bad either…
Where are you from?
I’m surprised by your bueno-excelente
Is it ‘Bueno’ or ‘Excelente’?

[This message has been edited by The Unholy Avenger (edited 01-27-2005).]

Dark_Shiki

I think that they never bothered to add an edit because translated games are so rare. If you look at the products, the vast majority of them are either digital novels or CG collections in which translation is a minor point.

Unholy Avenger

I’m just a random hentai who grew up watching StarBlazers and never really got over big eyes and super long legs. I got enough into it at one point that I attempted to learn Japanese, but just wasn’t dedicated enough. I’m kind of a master websurfer though (like most of you here probably) and figured out that since folder names are generally in english, I could pretty easily surf Japanese websites.

Oh yeah and I’m from Texas, and its one word “Buenoexcellente” and yes I know that makes no sense. Its the name of an extremely minor character in the comic book “Hitman” who “fights evil with the power of perversion”.