About purchasing a game

If this were permitted, you would basically be getting the game for free.

• I buy a game
  • I then also download it
  • I sell the physical copy to my friend Johnson for $10 off

Somehow I doubt Peach Princess will be very thrilled with this idea.

PP could alternatively set up some complicated system whereby the V-Mate for the download version that you get when you buy the CD stops working either after the game is received or just after a set period of time.

Then you’d have all sorts of fuss with having to reinstall the game, transferring saves etc. to worry about. Probably not worth it.

There are some places that do it - when I bought Eschalon on CD, they sent me a download as well - good thing because the CD took over a month to reach me. Also, I believe the seller that I use for my downloadable games lets you order a ‘backup CD’ in which case you get the download AND you get a CD in the mail (I haven’t used this myself).

For most downloadable sellers, though, the nice shiny retail box and the download are considered separate entities. Even in my case, the ‘backup CD’ isn’t the same thing as the retail copy, and someone buying the retail copy isn’t entitled to a download version… for one thing, it would be complicated to prove that you actually had bought a retail copy. With PP, if you bought your box copy directly from them, they can see that you really did, but what if you bought it from one of the many resellers or stores that carry them?

but what does it all mean basil?

it’s all greek to me

“Shareware” companies tend to be very good about allowing you to buy a CD version of the game, and get your license/full version downloaded immediately after purchase. Other marketting schemes— not so much.