ADV Gets Rights to Gatchaman

Oh I know they are but wanfu2k1 said Fox was considering airing it at one time I think?

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 06-03-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
Well have to see if CN will edit it or not. It's suppose to get bloodier later on.

Well if this night's show is any indication they will show some of the blood at least, they showed someone getting implaed and the body stuck to the wall bloody and dripping blood to the floor, clearly red too not even trying to change the color of the blood.

So it seems they are not editing all the blood out and gore out.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 06-03-2004).]

Yes, I did watch tonight’s episode.

First Clue: ballpoint pen

I thought it is sort of weapon. >.<

I noticed some bloods covered on the wall. It might not edit blood or gory. It is changing most Japanese names into English names.

The changing of names actually surprises me I would not think they would have done that since I know other anime they show which they have not changed the names, or have they in any of their other shows?

What are the real names for example say Conan after transformation and his ‘girlfriend’ or is it just the “guest stars” names they are changing?

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
The changing of names actually surprises me I would not think they would have done that since I know other anime they show which they have not changed the names, or have they in any of their other shows?

What are the real names for example say Conan after transformation and his 'girlfriend' or is it just the "guest stars" names they are changing?

The dubbed Case Closed keeps some guest stars's Japanese names like suspects only. Conan & Rachel's friends and families' names change from Japanese into American.

Rachel's father's name is Roger Moore o.O'

quote:
Originally posted by RonXE:
Rachel's father's name is Roger Moore o.O'

You got to be kidding right? They name him after one of men who played 007? Well I guess keeping with the mystery, quasi-spy theme it makes some sense.

I had not notice that name in the Adult Swim version is it only one the DVD then or maybe I just missed it.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 06-04-2004).]

quote:
You got to be kidding right? They name him after one of men who played 007? Well I guess keeping with the mystery, quasi-spy theme it makes some sense.

I had not notice that name in the Adult Swim version is it only one the DVD then or maybe I just missed it.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 06-04-2004).]

Ran/Rachel's father is worse detective.

I missed some closed caption lines. Someone post messages on Gamefaqs. Someone did point the poster and say Mount ??? (English name). The poster looked like Mt. Fuji.

I found out... I am sorry!!! Correct name: Richard Moore, not Roger Moore.

I really like Ran than Rachel. =/

[This message has been edited by RonXE (edited 06-05-2004).]

quote:
Ran/Rachel's father is worse detective.

I really like Ran than Rachel. =/

[This message has been edited by RonXE (edited 06-05-2004).]

Ah okay different name for him and yeah a much worse detective.

Yeah I can see that about the name Ran but then why change them in this anime? They did not change them in other animes I have seen, though those have mostly been on DVD only, or have they changed the names in ones like Chobits, Comic Party or perhaps better questions other ones on television or other ones by Funimation?

quote:
Ah okay different name for him and yeah a much worse detective.

Yeah I can see that about the name Ran but then why change them in this anime? They did not change them in other animes I have seen, though those have mostly been on DVD only, or have they changed the names in ones like Chobits, Comic Party or perhaps better questions other ones on television or other ones by Funimation?

Also 4Kids. Remember Pokemon, YuGiOh, Sonic X, Ultimate Muscle, Shaman King, and Kirby's Adventures (all six is working under 4Kids).

Satoshi (sp) = Ash
Kasumi = Misty
Haruka = May

Azu (sp) = Tea

quote:
Also 4Kids. Remember Pokemon, YuGiOh, Sonic X, Ultimate Muscle, Shaman King, and Kirby's Adventures (all six is working under 4Kids).

Satoshi (sp) = Ash
Kasumi = Misty
Haruka = May

Azu (sp) = Tea

Well that explains why I was unaware of any others, I have not seen the first three and until now had not heard of the second three. Yet it seems like something that is not done across the board or even frequently, but only on occasion, the name change?

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 06-05-2004).]

I think… American viewers may not understand Japanese names. American distribution prefered American names than Japanese names.

Astro Boy, Speed Racer, Robotech, Battle of Planets, Starblazers, and other English dubbed Anime (I forgot others).

quote:
I think... American viewers may not understand Japanese names. American distribution prefered American names than Japanese names.

Astro Boy, Speed Racer, Robotech, Battle of Planets, Starblazers, and other English dubbed Anime (I forgot others).

I still have no heard of any of those having aired on television, other then Speed Racer but I have seen them sold on DVD here, would they change it for that alone?

Then have I just gotten the ones they don't change? Each one I have seen and own keep the names as Japanese, or at least to sound Japanese. I have seen and have a fair amount of anime and to be honest expect for perhaps Rune Soldier and now Case Closed all the others have Japanese names for the characters.

So I ask truly how common is the change then for ones they have not aired on U.S. television so far as others can tell from what they have seen on DVD?

Without thinking about this too much, Magic Knight Rayearth. I recall hearing comments about the initial release with -chan suffix being replaced with -ster. Also, from the same one, the Masshin to Rune-God conversion.

quote:

I still have no heard of any of those having aired on television, other then Speed Racer but I have seen them sold on DVD here, would they change it for that alone?

Then have I just gotten the ones they don't change? Each one I have seen and own keep the names as Japanese, or at least to sound Japanese. I have seen and have a fair amount of anime and to be honest expect for perhaps Rune Soldier and now Case Closed all the others have Japanese names for the characters.

So I ask truly how common is the change then for ones they have not aired on U.S. television so far as others can tell from what they have seen on DVD?

Astro Boy is 60's Anime. Now new Astro Boy is airing on WB channel.
Robotech is 80's anime, it is Macross.
Battle of Planets is 70's anime, it is Gatchamen.
Starblazer is 70's anime, it is Space Battleship Yamamoto.

I think younger American viewers may not understand Japanese names, and nicknames (chan/san/etc).

quote:
I think younger American viewers may not understand Japanese names, and nicknames (chan/san/etc).

Honorifics aren't really the equivalent of "nicknames", although you're right in that the average young American viewer wouldn't understand the concepts implied within them. (I mean, if the differences between Ms. and Mrs. escapes most of them, those honorifics are way beyond their comprehension.) I'm trying to think of several examples of nicknames but the main one coming up is Misaki being called "Misakichi" from Angelic Layer (just watched Volume 6 over the weekend so it's stuck in my mind...)

Not to underestimate the change from having a -chan, -san, -sama, on the end of the name but when they did that did they also change the name from say Ruri to Becky or just Ruri-chan to Ruri? It is a name change but it is almost halfway, since they change something kids might not understand but then expect them to just accept a bunch of names they might never have heard before and instatly accept them as valid commonplace names at least within the anime world?

quote:
Oh I know they are but wanfu2k1 said Fox was considering airing it at one time I think?

Origionally fox was going to air it as part of their foxbox kids lineup a couple years ago. That's when we first heard about dective conan being liscensed. People were worried about edits and eventually fox dropped the idea when they also dropped the foxbox.

quote:
Well that explains why I was unaware of any others, I have not seen the first three and until now had not heard of the second three. Yet it seems like something that is not done across the board or even frequently, but only on occasion, the name change?

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 06-05-2004).]

Name changes used to be modus apparendi for companies trying to get their shows onto american TV. That and editing the hell out of it. Nelvana totally butchered Card Capture Sakura, changing Sakura's last name, the city name, the plot, the characters personalities, ect. Lately companies have been more tolerant of keeping the names intact. I'm hoping it's because of fans raising hell about all the changes. Oh and this just in 4kids decided to change Hollywood mew mew back to Tokyo Mew Mew. They are also going to allow funi to release uncut versions of Shaman King and Yugi oh. we'll have to see how uncut they will be though.
quote:
Astro Boy is 60's Anime. Now new Astro Boy is airing on WB channel.
Robotech is 80's anime, it is Macross.
Battle of Planets is 70's anime, it is Gatchamen.
Starblazer is 70's anime, it is Space Battleship Yamamoto.

Astroboy is actually airing on CN now I think WB has removed it from their lineup, at least for now.

Robotech- is an american creation, done by combining 3 separate anime that weren't related. The three separate anime were Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Super Dimensional Cavalry Southern Cross, Genesis Climber Mospeada. Carl Macek kinda kept the plot for macross then started making things up to try make it seem those other 2 series related.

Wasn't G-force gatchaman or was that starblazers? I'm pretty sure it was one of them.