Advice

My friends on this board!
I ask you for an advice, to make a long story short. On the company i work for we exchanged almost all our computers last month, and the manager started a lottery and i won a DELL Latitude C640 3years old.The specs are a Pentium 4M CPU 2.0GHz, 512Mb RAM, 30Gb HD, but no operative.
I want to use it as an backup comp and to play e few of my games on.
My options are
1.Buy a copy of Win XP Pro

• can use any game or apps i can buy.
  • have to buy used
    2.Use a Linux operative.
  • open source, cheap.
  • hard to use games on
  1. Use my old Win ME since i have scrapped the old computer in order to reuse the harddrive.
  • Already owns it, dont use it on any comp.
  • cannot use applocale, hard to use east asian fonts on.

As i said i ask you all for some advice.
I do not want this thread to be another operative war.

try xp home, should be A TAD cheaper than pro

or win2k, not totally xp, but in theory should run most of the games release anyways

In my opinion, your best option is named Partition. More exactly, if you create three different partitions, one for WinXP -and your games- (discard ME, it’s trash), one for Linux -and the rest-, and finally an empty partition formatted using FAT32 for transferring your data from Linux to WinXP and viceversa (Linux CAN read FAT32 file systems, to my knowledge, and I’ve heard of the existence of a program which even permits the choice of system when you start a computer session), your dilemma will be nicely solved, I think :slight_smile: .

EDIT:
Ooops :o , your HD has 30GB’s only, too few for partitioning. Oh well, in this case get WinXP if this computer is mostly for playing games, or Linux otherwise.

[ 06-12-2007, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Baldo ]

A Windows XP Home copy is the best bang for your buck (you’re going to use it for playing Win32 games, so setting up a Linux for virtualization/emulation for such is somewhat tricky/annoying). For home use, you probably don’t have a need for Windows XP Professional advanced stuff (network tools, mmc and stuff).

For dual-booting (if you want to try Linux), I’d strongly recommend you getting another hard disk. Partitions can go berserk and try do destroy each other sometimes :smiley: ( j j/k, but I really don’t like to dual-boot on the same hard disk).

That was an elegant solution Baldo but impossible.

Lamuness and Leon, i totally forgot about XP home edition. And i also fogot about Win 2K.

I checked prices on the net and foun out that i could save a bit if i buy XP Home Edition.

I know i used it for six years so i know it’s bad sides(many) and it good sides (few).

So far it looks like Home Edition is my number one choice.

I will wait until next week when my vacation begins and let you all know what i did.

Leon thanks for your advice on dual-boot on the same HD.

I thank you all for your advice.
I bought a copy of Win XP Home Edition, because of Vista i got it for a bargain price. The local computerstore sold out all XP beore end of June.
And my “new” laptop with its new op works like a charm. I tested it with my copy of The Sagara Family and Slave Pageant, ant they worked like charms.