All the stupid stuff

I was reading a magazine interview of the gta creators and Vice city, and they said they needed to test everything… like driving the car and stopping… getting out, and back in 100,000’s of times throughout the game, during each differnt part of the game.

Now exaclty how much of this is needed in hentai game testing? (since you dont have to kill everyone on the entire map 50 times a level…) because i noticed you guys said the next game is entering the test phase. Just wondering… kinda bored.

here in short will be what im asking, How much time do you guys have to spend testing stuff we could screw up?

don’t know about AVG titles like XC2, but brave soul…treat it just like any other RPG, because it is an RPG, no?

Testing is a very delicate thing, and exactly what you need to test depends very much on what you’re doing.

Ideally, you test each individual component of the software as you’re building it, and this way if your original design is sound it comes out working when you put all the individual components together.

Put another way–the programs don’t always perform exactly the same tasks, right? This means that the flow of control (meaning exactly which parts of the code were executed) is different–there are many possible paths. Ideally you want to test all of the code, which means triggering all the possible paths through the code.

This means that yes, you do have to play the game over and over. Many times. And you have to do things that most people won’t. To use a made up example, using the weakest weapon against the end boss–only to discover that there is an odd bug in the animation that is only triggered by that particular weapon when used in the room with the final boss, because the final boss’ engine is slightly different than the rest of the game’s to support the ceiling caving in during the fight. These sorts of obscure bugs are actually about as common as just plain stupid errors.

Considering what you just said, Nandemonai, it makes me wonder if PP will have to release a patch or so for BS… Few or no RPG’s are bug-free when released, and PP might be no exceptation from that…

quote:
Originally posted by Spectator Beholder:
Considering what you just said, Nandemonai, it makes me wonder if PP will have to release a patch or so for BS... Few or no RPG's are bug-free when released, and PP might be no exceptation from that...

Of course we have the benefit of it already being out in japan so most of the major bugs should've been hashed out. The main bugs should revolve around the translations and the message windows and probably not the game engine since I doubt they would need to change that.

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:

Of course we have the benefit of it already being out in japan so most of the major bugs should've been hashed out. The main bugs should revolve around the translations and the message windows and probably not the game engine since I doubt they would need to change that.

Of course that's the case, but a few bugs (if even minor ones) might still be unavoidable... Better to have soem minor bugs than BIG bugs, through [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:

Actually, there probably was a few engine changes. Remember, it's porting over from the Japanese OS, which isn't exactly a simple port. There might be a few tweaks to get it to run correctly on the English OS but cause other problems the original did not have. Plus, you never know what bugs will be discovered when you have a different group of people looking at the code. I mean, I recently found a bug in one of the scripts my company's been using since 1998. Nobody even noticed if for the past 4 years!