American Market

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfson:
I think to some degree the age factor can be discounted... I'm outside the age bracket that has been defined in this discussion, and I don't have a problem with bishoujo--although I will admit that I am probably more prone to be turned off by some of the "darker" themes than some of the younger "target audience." But one can assume that I am not the only person in America over the age of forty who would be willing to play this sort of thing...

It works like this. People who have lots of free time are more likely to discover new hobbies. There are plenty of people who would like them but never have an opportunity to get hooked.

This is why you see generational shifts like this all over the place. Rock and Roll was one example. Video games are another; they're in the middle of the conversion from "kid stuff" to "something everyone does". Eventually you simply won't be asking "do you video game?" in the same way nobody ever asks "do you go to the movies?" - if the answer is "no, I don't" people usually go out of their way to point it out because it's so unusual.

So there's no law stating "b-games only for 18-25 year old crowd". It's just that college kids are the most likely demographic to become addicted.

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:

So there's no law stating "b-games only for 18-25 year old crowd". It's just that college kids are the most likely demographic to become addicted.

Yes but as you were saying this is probably going to change and might be now, because even those that entered this market about five years ago are now well out of that bracket, or soon to be out, so the market in theory should be continually pushing the limits. Most that grew up in the 1980's know video games, and those that were in these Pac-Man torny's could be in their 30's now easily. Yes that's different then these games but it is the gaming market, and perhaps signs that they could try a harder push to other age brackets.

quote:
I will agree with this last part. Most "romantic comedies" try in their mediocrity to do both, and therefore fail at either.

But the dark games too go overboard. It's not just one girl, which would be bad enough, the main character rapes, no it's four maybe five maybe a whole school, and it often is more then once. Add in the often either physical of psychological abuse, sometimes both repeatedly, and you are pushing the dark games way overboard into being about as dark as possible.

quote:

I can understand that. Someone had just made mention that the top end of the demographic was around 35 years old, and that any older than that people weren't likely to be interested in bishoujo games.

quote:
I will agree with this last part. Most "romantic comedies" try in their mediocrity to do both, and therefore fail at either.

True... I am starting to feel like I'm pretty much playing the same game over and over again as I play through some of the "romance" games... not too many of them are outstanding. On the other hand, in my mind it beats raping the girl...

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
Yes but as you were saying this is probably going to change and might be now, because even those that entered this market about five years ago are now well out of that bracket, or soon to be out, so the market in theory should be continually pushing the limits. Most that grew up in the 1980's know video games, and those that were in these Pac-Man torny's could be in their 30's now easily. Yes that's different then these games but it is the gaming market, and perhaps signs that they could try a harder push to other age brackets.

Exactly. I am close to being out of this bracket myself. In a few more years, we will age and the people who came in behind us will age, and they will have people coming in on their heels. Then we may have a large enough market to start seeing more than one title/month from GC and one title in a blue moon from Peach Princess.

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfson:
True... I am starting to feel like I'm pretty much playing the same game over and over again as I play through some of the "romance" games... not too many of them are outstanding. On the other hand, in my mind it beats raping the girl...

Well, I like Private Nurse, Crescendo, Heart de Roommate, and Snow Drop. But the Trabulance games are basically all the same, just changed around a bit.

I'm looking forward to the day when we see something like Tsukihime translated. I doubt this will be anytime soon.

Sadly, I don’t know enough Japanese to even take a half-hearted stab at the Japanese games, so I don’t have any real clue about what’s out there in their market… I only know what is available in the English market. I’ve avoided the Trabulance games exactly because they seemed pretty lifeless and generic (that, and unlike some people who are enthusiastic about their artwork, it doesn’t really appeal to me all that much). I’ve enjoyed some of the games you mention… and am waiting to receive some of the others you mention. Eventually, though, the list of available games will dry up, and I’ll have to rely on what’s coming out. I have hopes for Come See Me Tonight 2, and (when ever it finally gets finished) Little My Maid. I might even pick up Hourglass of Summer, since a few people are starting to say good things about it…