An idea for the wider promotion of bishoujo games

Since this wasn’t done with the two edited games already, I assume this idea has already been discounted, but I’ll bring it up anyway.

Would it be possible to, with certain games where the sexual content is not that high, create a sex-free version of the game and sell that in locations where the adult game would not be allowed… and then sell/distribute a patch here at peachprincess to restore the adult scenes to the game?

These games badly need greater distribution, and that seems like one possible way to achieve it…

There are already some games that somehow have this, but they aren’t widespread. So I don’t think it makes a difference…

I think it is a good idea, but the problem is you still are not selling these games or this industry by selling edited versions even if the patch can be picked up later, you are selling perhaps some excellent games that have great plots and are emotionally moving, but they are not this industry or these games.

These games have sex in them, they have nudity in them, it’s just their nature. Some might have very deep and moving plots like Kana or Crescendo that have people weeping for days after some of endings, especially from Kana, but even with those types of plots these games had sex scenes as you are aware.

I remember a while back when they we were all talking about I think it was the PS2 or Saturn System or some other “edited” version of Kana that was coming out without the sex scenes if the game would have had the same emotional affect on all of us without those scenes. I am still not sure if it was ever decided one way or another about those scenes and what their removal might mean to the game overall, but personally without them I think the love that is seen in the game might not have come across as clear and the endings still emotional but not as emotional since, within Kana, those scenes seemed more to do with the love felt between the characters then placed in the game to have them in the game, such as most of them from DYLHB. So in that case and perhaps also in some of the, if not all of the, Crescendo endings to remove them might have removed some of the emotional affect of the game and then you are not giving them the same emotionally moving games.

Basically I fully agree these games need to find wider promotion but even within those with scenes which can be removed, such as the two aforementioned emotional games, and perhaps even Private Nurse, is removing them changing a key aspect of the game and in essence making it a different game that might not have the same effect on people is a key question to ask and when asking also see if that means they are not getting a true taste of these games which is what is needed to allow the industry to flourish.

Then there are games such as Amusement Park which without those scenes seem to have every single girl’s route the same minus different endings. So first it is a matter of finding what games you can edit from then seeing if the editing changes people’s impression of the game, which could alter sales and also the opinion of this industry.

Also how can you can you prevent people from pointing to say Kana or Crescendo minus the sex scenes and not have someone try to compare it(perhaps one of those parents with massive amounts of time and misplaced concern who are out to rid the world of all “evil”) to the one with the sex scenes and in that way sink sales of the edited version?

Secondly, is the nature of the choose your own adventure, that cannot, nor should it be changed, but it involves a lot of reading and most people seemingly would rather have a target to shoot at then to read a story that might have them so engrossed they feel the endings and cry.

Third, won’t the same problem or a larger one arise when these smart kids with computers start hacking into those scenes, making their own patches of sorts and their parents find out?

Still I agree there has to be a way to get wider promotion of these games but short of altering the rather archaic views many societies still hold about sex I am not sure how to get society to loosen up enough to allow these games to be sold in places like Target, Wal-Mart, etc, where the masses will see them and might start to get interested in these games meaning more profit for them and more games and a larger variety for us.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 06-03-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by woodelf:
We are talking quality games here, that may be good reason why will you not see it Wal-Mart even if there was not the sex issue in the games.

Given some of the quality of stuff I see Wal-Mart selling, yes personal opinion but 50 dollars for a design your own house program from three years ago sounds like high cost low quality, I am not sure it is fully the quality that is at issue. I think the quality is an excuse to be honest since they could sell ones like Kana if they had no problems with the sex scenes and were worried about quality.

So I really think quality is an excuse they use for the most part because look at a lot of what is sold, especially in the computer and movie sections. Some of the movies were out on video after the second week in the theaters which does not sound like a quality movie to me.

Other computer programs are not high quality either other games but they sell them, quality is not the real issue since that is so opinion based anyway and a lot of what those super mega stores sell is not the highest quality to start.

I think what we need here is someone translating bishoujo games ported to consoles, like Playstation 2, Dreamcast and XBox.
All of them are non-adult, so no problem with censorship. The stories makes sense too, even those based originally on adult bishoujo games because the cut-scenes are well-done (sometimes with new CGs and characters added). For those with an anime show based on the game, that will helps to promove the game and vice-versa. They will help to destroy once and for all the stigma “hentai” of the anime-based games, too.
And the kids who played these games someday will grown up. Maybe they start to play adult bishoujo games too.

Hirameki is already putting out edited games, but I don’t know how well they are doing and I haven’t seen any of their games in stores.

ISTR people complaining when the two edited games were first listed on PP that despite having no sex scenes they were still being promoted as “for adults only” and not being set out for any wider audience, which doesn’t really help. I suppose the first thing to find out would be whether any large seller would be willing to promote “sanitized” games.

… and why hasn’t anyone fansubbed Tokimeki Memorial for the SNES yet? There are plenty of OTHER japanese games they’ve done… grumble

I don’t think anyone wants to sink the money into translating a completely non-H game that might therefore be passed on by the fans of naughty pictures, but if a good candidate for making adult/non-adult versions came along, I’d love to know if such an experiment would turn out.

And, of course, I’m completely in FAVOR of bright teenagers managing to hack the naughty pictures back into their legally-purchased game, but that’s just me.

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Gilis:
For those with an anime show based on the game, that will helps to promove the game and vice-versa. They will help to destroy once and for all the stigma "hentai" of the anime-based games, too.
And the kids who played these games someday will grown up. Maybe they start to play adult bishoujo games too.

This could also help further promote the burgeoning anime (and perhaps even manga) industry if you can start to get the games based on anime or games that spawned anime over, since people will likely either want to see the anime based on the game or play the game based on the anime. This tie-in might be the best way to get the games out and the games known, such as all the games with movie tie-ins that are always coming out.

quote:
Originally posted by papillon:
... and why hasn't anyone fansubbed Tokimeki Memorial for the SNES yet? There are plenty of OTHER japanese games they've done... *grumble* :)

Somebody tried. You can find a webpage that claims there's a project but it hasn't been updated in years.

Essentially, "the text is compressed" which means "no dice".

I have been wondering about that for a long time too.
Text compressed? And why would that be an issue? There are several games, of which the popular Seiken Densetsu 3 is one, that have such compression but were successfully translated.

quote:
Originally posted by Benoit:
I have been wondering about that for a long time too.
Text compressed? And why would that be an issue? There are several games, of which the popular Seiken Densetsu 3 is one, that have such compression but were successfully translated.

I don't know. Not an expert...

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
[B] This could also help further promote the burgeoning anime (and perhaps even manga) industry if you can start to get the games based on anime or games that spawned anime over, since people will likely either want to see the anime based on the game or play the game based on the anime. This tie-in might be the best way to get the games out and the games known, such as all the games with movie tie-ins that are always coming out.

My thoughts exactly!
Did you like it? Play the game, watch the anime show and read the manga!!

Now the question is will the people that matter, those that can do it start such a move, such as with the games Comic Party or To Heart which have the disadvantage of being massively popular in Japan so no need to risk this market, but still have a popular anime and popular manga either almost out or just coming out in this market that can be used to cross-sell the other.

quote:
Originally posted by papillon:
... and why hasn't anyone fansubbed Tokimeki Memorial for the SNES yet? There are plenty of OTHER japanese games they've done... *grumble* [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
Probably because of nasty compression issues which require a devoted ASM hacker.

Figureing out how its compressed varies for each game and its not easy. It takes a while and its hard to get people who are devoted to do it.

[This message has been edited by Jinnai (edited 06-06-2004).]

quote:
Now the question is will the people that matter, those that can do it start such a move, such as with the games Comic Party or To Heart which have the disadvantage of being massively popular in Japan so no need to risk this market, but still have a popular anime and popular manga either almost out or just coming out in this market that can be used to cross-sell the other.
You mean like half the games are already?

quote:
I think what we need here is someone translating bishoujo games ported to consoles, like Playstation 2, Dreamcast and XBox.
All of them are non-adult, so no problem with censorship. The stories makes sense too, even those based originally on adult bishoujo games because the cut-scenes are well-done (sometimes with new CGs and characters added). For those with an anime show based on the game, that will helps to promove the game and vice-versa. They will help to destroy once and for all the stigma "hentai" of the anime-based games, too.

But do kids really want to play games with emotional issues? I mean look at the games now for X-box. Violence, violence, violence. I not saying its a bad idea (well maybe I am but I don't know it) but kid's nowadays don't really care about that. Being 19 I know this. Few people I know like anime and are interested in other things such as dating, cars, sports etc.... I mean even I like those things. I usually only play B-games about an hour or two a week and then its all Warcraft or homework then in the summer I'm going to go look for a job and so will many other teenagers. I don't know, Personally for promoting Bishoujo games I'm just sticking to telling two friends who tell two friends etc... and see what happens. It has worked but ya some non "hentai" games would be good because I've told some friends and recommended them but they said no because they were a little ansty about the H-scenes so ya non hentai Bishoujo games would be interesting and maybe some more diverse types of games instead of the old click and choose would be nice. But I don't want the industry to prostitute itself just to make sales.

quote:
Originally posted by Sakamoto:
I seen all three of Hirameki's games over at a Suncoast in Clackamas, Oregon. I didn't see any of them in the other two Suncoasts I went into up there and I haven't seen any of them in the Suncoast stores down here in the Los Angeles area.

The Suncoasts (yes, that plural) by me carries Amusement Park and Day of Love and I'm down in the South Bay area. And I can't remember, but I might has seen Phantom of Inferno too, but that one I'm fuzzy on. SO don't go nut crazy if I'm wrong. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

------------------
精神 の 神

quote:
Originally posted by tiger_of_the_wind2040:
It has worked but ya some non "hentai" games would be good because I've told some friends and recommended them but they said no because they were a little ansty about the H-scenes so ya non hentai Bishoujo games would be interesting and maybe some more diverse types of games instead of the old click and choose would be nice.

That's why it would be great if Hirameki would licence Clannad. I would actually buy it because it wouldn't be an edited version made for a US DVD release. It's already non-adult, so it would be the perfect title for Hirameki to go for. I bet it'll never happen, though. What a shame.

quote:
Originally posted by tiger_of_the_wind2040:
But do kids really want to play games with emotional issues? I mean look at the games now for X-box. Violence, violence, violence. I not saying its a bad idea (well maybe I am but I don't know it) but kid's nowadays don't really care about that. Being 19 I know this. Few people I know like anime and are interested in other things such as dating, cars, sports etc.... I mean even I like those things. I usually only play B-games about an hour or two a week and then its all Warcraft or homework then in the summer I'm going to go look for a job and so will many other teenagers. I don't know, Personally for promoting Bishoujo games I'm just sticking to telling two friends who tell two friends etc... and see what happens. It has worked but ya some non "hentai" games would be good because I've told some friends and recommended them but they said no because they were a little ansty about the H-scenes so ya non hentai Bishoujo games would be interesting and maybe some more diverse types of games instead of the old click and choose would be nice. But I don't want the industry to prostitute itself just to make sales.

That's EXACTLY the reason because we need translated bishoujo games ported to consoles. The kids nowadays just play violence-themed games. Why? Because that's the ONLY genre they have, that's the ONLY genre they know.
If some other genres start to be released too, like story-focused games, the children will know DO exist other genres. Maybe, out of curiosity, they start to play them and they start to like them, to CARE about them.
KNOWLEDGE is a bless, IGNORANCE is a curse.

And remember, years ago, the only genre for anime shows being broadcasted on TV were action-focused anime shows too. But now we have all the genres, including romance and comedy-themed shows.

If some bishoujo games with some playability, like the RPGs from Studio Ego or the simulations from F&C, start to be translate and release them to consoles, maybe the children will play them for the playability-part, and start to like the stories too.

Many of us started in the same way. The only genre of games we knew were action-focused games.

quote:
If some other genres start to be released too, like story-focused games, the children will know DO exist other genres. Maybe, out of curiosity, they start to play them and they start to like them, to CARE about them.
KNOWLEDGE is a bless, IGNORANCE is a curse.

And remember, years ago, the only genre for anime shows being broadcasted on TV were action-focused anime shows too. But now we have all the genres, including romance and comedy-themed shows.

Remember on the other board, the one with Virgo, someone said though that these are not games because you have to read so much text and your only options are point and click more like Choose Your Own Adventure then anything else. That is something that is hard to overcome from people that are use to flashing images they can half watch as they point a virtual gun and pull the tigger.

Knowledge is not always a blessing, nor ignorance always a curse. What happens if it is learned that a lot of people do think along these lines, of these not being a game? Well that thinking has to change first, and maybe it is by bringing over some of the RPG's but then eventually the gap still has to be bridged then between the RPG's and the type more common in translation today so another niche market of RPG's is not suddenly formed.

I think the difference with anime is in how the individual is able to take part in it. Basically they only have to sit and watch the anime, though yes the trends have changed for the better since it is more variety, but it is still different then trying to get people to go from games that they can just half watch, to ones they need to actually read and follow the plot then make choices based on the plot.

I fear it is much harder to make that change since it requires, or might seem to require, a lot more effort on the part of individual then sitting down and watching a comedy or romance comedy anime instead of action centered anime. So if we are just talking edited games here the first thing that needs to be done is to convinece people that reading a plot on a screen can be a lot more entertaining the shooting a virtual gun. If we are talking uncensored games, then this still has to be overcome along with people's views on the entire industry as being something perhaps "evil".