Anime Recommendations

in the winter season alot of people are looking forward to dance of the vampire bund
it has a werewolf male lead and a loli vampire female lead
said loli vamp is frequently naked
and there are lesbians and lots of blood including blood from the sky at one point

From what I read it is going to be a TV anime translation, though, which means none of those great things you mentioned will be part of the series …

Gilgamesh is neat.

I told the Epic of Gilgamesh for a history class once and it was fantastic … oh, you probably mean the anime … it was alright, too slow for me.

The epic is great stuff man.Even yesterday I attended a session on ancient history and I had my moments, the epic was one of them.
The anime is okay, like I said, neat, not the best but cool enough.

The Golden Boy OVA is pretty awesome. A bit old, but a classic nevertheless. Short too.

I just finished watching the anime (there is only 1 season presently, yes?) and they did include the often nude loli, though of course they blurred over anything the American audience would find unsavory. I have looked at the untranslated Manga, however, (at least the first book, not sure if there is more than one in the series) and she is certainly naked more often in that. Neither the anime nor the first manga seemed to have any lesbianism in it, however - does it appear somewhere later in the manga series? (of course, since I can’t read Japanese it’s possible it was presented in the dialog and I missed it)

I really hope they get this manga translated into English, though chances are it will get shot down because of the often naked loli character.

Any recommendations for the comedy genre?

Azumanga Daioh is a good comedy/school life anime
I’m partial to Galaxy Angel; a silly anime with no continuity of a group a girls who have spaceships and resolve (or try to resolve) missions

Irresponsible Captain Tylor if you’d like a good old school spoof of space operas. I can only reccomend the TV series though since I’ve heard the OVA sequels turn serious (why make a parody show try to actually be the show it parodies?)
The Slayers series

Still, one anime that I must reccomend to you is Baccano!. If you want something unconventional then this is the anime for you. The story is set in primarily 1930s America (and is surprisingly accurate in that presentation) presented from multpile viewpoints over multiple time periods. The story may seem a little confusing to follow at first, but you get used to it and at the end everything wraps up nicely. It’s also surprisingly light hearted for an anime set during the Great Depression and the majority of the characters are gangsters, and the humor, especially from two characters Isaac and Miria, is genuinely funny. The show also has a large cast of characters and almost all of them are memorable, which is not an easy feat considering this is a 13 episode (16 if you count the OVAs) series. And one more thing, the dub for this series is perfect, way better than the Japanese dialogue and I do not say that lightly as I’ve watched the series subbed, and it also features a number of my favorite seiyuus who all do a great job.

Durarara!! is another good series
it is from the same person that wrote the baccanno novels (with at least 2 characters from baccanno show up)
the series takes place in modern tokyo and deals with craziness

Sora no Otoshimono

The real insanity actually begins in episode 2. Between Tomoki’s raging hormones (only his precious Ikaros is spared) and Mikako’s repressed yangire (only her precious Ei-chan is spared…maybe…), it’s a riot.

Gakuen Alice and K-on were both recent interests of mine and fun comedies.

Nice response. I forgot to add one thing, how many/which ones are dubbed in English or have Subtitles?
I am interested in Galaxy Angel and Sora no Otoshimono. Keep the recommendations coming though :slight_smile:

Seconding Irresponsible Captain Tylor. It’s very funny and is dubbed and subbed.

Gintama is funny, I am surprised no1 mentioned it :slight_smile:
Got Irresponsible captain Taylor, gonna watch it next week

I just finished reading a manga (that was turned anime) series called Basilisk (???). It’s been translated into English, and also a series that ends in 35 chapters (24 episodes with the anime), so is easy on the wallet.

It’s a grim and tragic story about two ninja clans that must eradicate each other. The twist is that the young leaders of both clans, have a Romeo and Juliet kinda thing. Great characters, as neither side is really evil or good, and it’s really a story about vengeance consuming people to create more vengeance. To be honest, a good end would have been for neither clan to have fought at all… but we wouldn’t have had a story then, would we? Added bonus: yandere, lotsa konnichi hotties with hair that cover their eyes, and alluded (tw?)incest too.

It’s got the cool ninja battles of Naruto, without the problem of actually being Naruto. :wink:

Aimed for a mature audience (there’s excessive violence, nudity and rape… although nothing explicit is shown).

Manga is better than the anime IMHO… but the anime is cool. They changed a lot between them though.