Anime research question for Academic Research Paper

I’m doing this for an academic study on the growth of anime from internet filesharing.

If you want to help me out, that’s fine. If not, that’s fine too. If you don’t want your answers made public, please PM me or email me at lord.god.jinnai at gmail dot com.

I need this info by Dec 10th at the latest, preferably before then.

Do you watch Anime (Japanese Animation)? Yes / No

If no:

• have you ever done so? Yes / No

• If yes, why did you stop?

If yes:

• how often?

• what genres?

• what series?

• how long?

Do you watch fansubs or fandubs (if yes, which)?

If you have watched/or still watch anime, how did you first learn about it?

Do you prefer subtitled or dubbed anime?

Do you prefer more litteral transations or culurally acceptable translations?

Do you read manga? Yes / No

If no:

• have you ever done so? Yes / No

• If yes, why did you stop?

If yes:

• how often?

• what genres?

• what series?

• how long?

If you have read/still read anime, how did you first learn about it?

If you watch anime and read manga, which do you prefer and why?

Do you fan translation of manga?

Do you use p2p programs? ifso, which?

Do you download via IRC?

Do you download via specific direct download sites (ifso which)?

If you download via any of these, do you download anything other than anime?

If so, what percentage would say is anime?

Do you download anime liecned in your country?

Do you buy licenesed anime? If you answered yes to the previous question, does this make you less likely or more likely to buy licenesed anime?

Do you buy any anime related product other than episodes/movies? Ifso, what?

For the advancement of anime ! Forward !!

Do you watch Anime (Japanese Animation)? Yes (duh)

If yes:

• how often? - Well… ever since recently… almost every week

• what genres? All across the spectrum except drama and reality… but that may change in future.

• what series? Too many to lsit. Wait til’ next, cleaned up post.

• how long? I never EVER go for a long series. ANything that ahs more than 52 episodes is a no-no in my book. I even stopped on Saiyuki and One Piece after they proved too long, so i don’t count them.

Instead, I always go for a shot series (13 opr 26 episodes) which i can enjoy in snippets of two hours per view. The longest i can go is a six hour marathon.

Do you watch fansubs or fandubs (if yes, which)? Yes, practically the majority of them 9save for the ones released officially, like the ones under ADV or Geneon. The aBe animes like Lain and Haibane Renmeia re examples of this)

No real idea… pokemon ? Neah, it was earlier then that. i think it was Sailor Moon in 1995. Neah, must’ve been even earlier then that…

Both are good, and depends. If dubbed… the quality must at least ahve some effort. Subbed is alright, sicne the original Japanese voice acting is the best, but, in case slike Hellsing and Cowboy Bebop, I prefer Blaxpoitatiobn and accented English, thankyew.

Do you prefer more literal transations or culurally acceptable translations?

Both are fine and have their place; in fact, the more traslations, the more the interpretation.

Do you read manga? Yes !!

If yes:

• how often? A bit less than anime, but relatively often

• what genres? This one’s mor elimited. ANything, as long as it’s humour

• what series? COmpleted: Midori Days

Incomplete: Negima, Love Hina

Halted: Saiyuki Reload Gunlock
Ouran high School
Excel Saga
Tsubasa

• how long? Since 2004, after reading Love Hina.

If you have read/still read manga, how did you first learn about it? Again, Love Hina.

If you watch anime and read manga, which do you prefer and why? both are good. I prefer the originals… in some cases, the anime, in some, the manga. It depends on the treatment. In ouran’s case, the aniemw as better, in Midori Days, the manga.

Do you fan translation of manga? No. I prefer official, only for Manga

Do you use p2p programs? ifso, which? Ermm… no comment (I hope this is allowed)

Look if you want an answer - yes, but I won’t state which one.

Do you download via IRC? No.

Do you download via specific direct download sites (ifso which)? No comment.

If you download via any of these, do you download anything other than anime? Again, no comment.

If so, what percentage would say is anime? 99.9%

Do you download anime liecned in your country? No

Do you buy licenesed anime? If you answered yes to the previous question, does this make you less likely or more likely to buy licenesed anime? Yes - more likely I suppose.

Do you buy any anime related product other than episodes/movies? Here, sadly… No. I don;t have the money to do so.

I’ll send you a PM afetrwards for a more detailed and better answer, though ia sk for some confidentiality. I hope you udnerstand.

Do you watch Anime (Japanese Animation)? Yes / No

Yes, that is a given.

[i]If yes:

• how often?
  • what genres?
  • what series?
  • how long?[/i]

Weekly. I generally stick to RPG, Fantasy, Fighting, Romance, occasional Sex Romp in that order. Series would take me hours to type: Examples are Slayers, Sorceror Hunters, Samurai 7, Elfen Lied, Inu Yasha, Gatchaman. The length of series isn’t important to me. I watch long or short series dependant only upon my interest in seeing it.

Do you watch fansubs or fandubs (if yes, which)?

Very rarely. In fact, the last one was so long ago I can’t remember it offhand. Once I found out it is basically stolen copyrighted material I avoid it unless it is the only way (in my lifetime) that I will ever get to see something I really wish to see.

As a young child (about six years old-around 1976) they showed badly edited Gatchaman episodes renamed “G-Force” and “Battle of the Planets.” I loved the animation style and later noticed it in rare showings of “Speed Racer” and one-offs like “The Hobbit.”

Dubbed, although it depends upon the voice acting in a small part and availability of the title in a large part.

Do you prefer more litteral transations or culurally acceptable translations?
I prefer literal translations, keeping as close to the original as possible. I accept some culturally acceptable translations if it is the only way to bring the work to the America’s (would enflame public outrage against anime or doesn’t translate well.)

Do you read manga? Yes / No
Yes.

[i]If yes:

• how often?
  • what genres?
  • what series?
  • how long?[/i]

Very rarely. Mainly RPG or something I’ve read about that isn’t going to make it to anime form here. Sometimes the manga includes more of the story than the anime, so I will collect it and read to get more from it.

If you watch anime and read manga, which do you prefer and why?
Short version of this answer is anime because of availability. I seem to be able to collect all of a given series or movies on DVD, but when collecting manga I always have a missing “part seven” out of twenty books. Irritates me to no end.

Do you fan translation of manga?
No, due to copyright issues and personal morals. I would even only consider it if that were the last means at which to get the material (and I would have to desperately want it.)

Do you use p2p programs? ifso, which?
No.

Do you download via IRC?
No.

Do you download via specific direct download sites (ifso which)?
No, I prefer having a tangable DVD or whatever (anime, game, manga.) Although, with prices for downloads getting cheaper and the ability of making one physical copy of a given subject from it, that option is looking more promising.

If you download via any of these, do you download anything other than anime?
I download things like screensavers, character information, other items not normally included in the licensed DVD. I sometimes download small trial versions of a given subject or game just to see if I like it or not before ordering.

If so, what percentage would say is anime?
All of it is anime based items, but anime from actual series or OVA’s is very small. The percentage of trailers of anime would be around 30 percent.

Do you download anime liecned in your country?
Mostly yes. Sometimes I will download from Japanese sites to see what a given game, anime, or whatever is about. Sometimes it is later licensed and sometimes it is just “in the ether.” It never makes it here or just disappears forever into the secondhand stores of Japan.

Do you buy licenesed anime? If you answered yes to the previous question, does this make you less likely or more likely to buy licenesed anime?

Yes. It depends upon what I think of whatever trailer or items I have downloaded or reviews read. If I think they stink, well, I probably won’t shell out a lot of money to get it. If I like it then I will be first in line (or first in line online) to purchase it.

Do you buy any anime related product other than episodes/movies? Ifso, what?

If I like a certain anime title I always try to pick up t-shirts, models, or manga from that title. Unfortunately I have found that trying to find this stuff is IMPOSSIBLE or next to impossible. This has led to me making a few shirts or posters for myself (again, after making an attempt to ask if this is okay from the license holder and sometimes having to pay a small monetary fee for doing so.)

Perhaps some of the questions seem like you have to interprete them or maybe I just didn’t exactly understand what you are asking. I hope this helps and if I need to clarify anything please feel free to ask.

Yes.

Once every couple of months or so. There’s rarely a moment where there’s no noise so that I understand what the hell the characters are saying. As soon as there’s background noise, I can’t concentrate anymore.

I don’t know the genre classifications.

Dragon Ball Z, Ulysse 31, Fruits Basket, and Tokyo Underground (only the first three episodes).

I don’t have a criteria for this. I’ll watch anything I like, no matter how long.

I’ve only watched the first three episodes of Tokyo Underground that were fansubbed.

When I was little, in the early 90s, I watched the French channel TF1’s Club Dorothee show in the morning. It broadcasted a lot of anime.

Dubbed anime, if possible with subtitles (so I can fill in the short gaps created by background noise), even though it could throw me out of the immersion as often they are a bit different than what’s said.

I’m not sure I understand the question. Depends on the series, but in general I’d take the translation that keeps the -san, -chan and -sama parts in.

Yes.

Every once in a while, when I acquire some, which I then read over a span of about a week before going to sleep. I buy some every two months at least, as that’s how long it takes for a new issue to get out.

Shonen and shoujo.

Dragon Ball, Fruits Basket, Mars, Hunter X Hunter, Ranma 1/2 (stopped buying that series after three issues because I didn’t like it that much).

I start thinking when it’s over 20 issues long…

When I went camping in France in the early 90s. A buddy there had these mini-issues of Dragon Ball. I started buying them, though I could only do so in France and in Brussels (Belgium). But I only started looking at manga itself when I met a girl by playing Phantasy Star Online who was really into it.

I prefer manga because more often than not it is the original work, while the anime is based on it. Currently it’s my best option, too, with the background noise and all. They’re also cheaper, as in offering more story for less money than anime.

I used to read an English fan translation, Futari Ecchi. I stopped when I saw that it had been translated officially in French.

No.

Since I watch anime and generally don’t download it, obviously yes. :slight_smile:

No.

Watch anime: yes
Not very often
Eclectic tastes, watched too much stuff to list
I watch fansubs
Prefer subtitles
Prefer culturally acceptable translation

Read manga: yes
Daily (lunch break at work)
Eclectic tastes, read too much stuff to list
Have no “preference” to anime or manga, they’re orthogonal
Ever since manga has been translated on a large scale (6 years, let’s say)
I do not do fan translating of manga myself. I will read fan translations of things you can’t get elsewhere.
I get fan translations via emule, bittorrent, and usenet
On the advice of counsel I can neither confirm nor deny downloading anything else using this “intarweb”
I buy tons of licensed anime
I download licensed stuff every now and then. Not often.
I don’t pretend to be able to reliably answer if this makes me more or less likely to buy licensed stuff.
I buy artbooks, posters, nifty collectibles, and wallscrolls.

[u]Do you watch Anime (Japanese Animation)[/u]?

Yes I do.
Very often, mostly Mecha but everythings fine.
Series like Gundam, Gravitation, Genocyber, Girl meets Girl, Macross, Gargoyle of Yoshinagas, He is my Master, Elfen Lied, Super Robot Wars Original Generation Divine Wars, Love Hina, Love Love, Vampire Hunter Night Warriors: Darkstalker’s Revenge, Ninja Gaiden and lots more. More or less everything I can get my hand on that I find interesting. I used to watch Cyborg 009 when I was young, but I was taken by amazement over Super Dimensional Fortress MACROSS at the age of 4-5 but I forgot it later, but I’ve always had this love for Mechas. Finally, for about 4 years ago I got my hands on Love Hina and moved on from there when I first located Assault Suits Valken to Snes and moved on to Gundam Wing and from there back to the wonderfull memories of MACROSS.

Summary: As often as I can, Very broad view of anime genres, again broad view of series and about 4 years + 2-3 years in childhood.

[u]Do you watch fansubs or fandubs (if yes, which)[/u]?

As I stated, anything I can get my hand of. That is more or less only Fansubs.

[u]If you have watched/or still watch anime, how did you first learn about it[/u]?

When I was young and at the Daycare mother" place where her daughters were watching Anime.

[u]Do you prefer subtitled or dubbed anime[/u]?

Subtitled

[u]Do you prefer more litteral transations or culurally acceptable translations[/u]?

The most correct + What makes sense.
It is another language, just translate it as good as you can for now.

[u]Do you read manga[/u]?

Yeah, if magazines like “Shonen Jump” and “Manga Mania” would count.

[u]If you have read/still read anime, how did you first learn about it[/u]?

A free preview booklet

[u]If you watch anime and read manga, which do you prefer and why[/u]?

Anime because then I get to hear the beautifull Japanese language and it helps me get stuck in it more.

[u]Do you fan translation of manga[/u]?

What? o_O
No, I don’t.

[u]Do you use p2p programs? ifso, which[/u]?

Crappy Limewire, half-good Bitcoment.

[u]Do you download via IRC[/u]?

No

[u]Do you download via specific direct download sites (if so which)[/u]?

animeSUKI.com
isohunt.com ( have the impending feeling of virus doom everytime )
torrentreactor.com ( just odd )
piratebay.org ( good yet crap )

I used to download with suprnova.org but sadly,
they have left us…

[u]If you download via any of these, do you download anything other than anime[/u]?

Games, Movies, Music.
Why is Nightmare Creatures to PC impossible to find?! T_T

[u]If so, what percentage would say is anime[/u]?

60-70%

[u]Do you download anime liecned in your country[/u]?

Yes, because the anime that IS licensed here is some crap…

[u]Do you buy licenesed anime? If you answered yes to the previous question, does this make you less likely or more likely to buy licenesed anime[/u]?

I have a box called “Mecha Masters” which contained M.D. Geist, Genocyber, Cybernetics Guardian as the soundtrack to M.D. Geist & Genocyber, I have bought YS Legacy and Gundam Wing Operation 1. In time I’ll buy everything I like but as of now wihtout a job and going to school - I’ll continue to download.

[u]Do you buy any anime related product other than episodes/movies? If so, what[/u]?

I have a ZAKU Warrior model from Gundam Seed Destiny and a SERPENT Custom model from Gundam Wing Endless Waltz ( Snap togheter, yay! ) as well as couple of small type models, aroud 6-8 of them. Cute, from Gundam 0079 & 08th MS Team.

There are other things I want too ^^

I hope this was answer enough!