Anime

Ok, I’m breaking down… I tried for so long to resist, but I just can’t anymore. What would you all recommend for someone who’s just starting to get into Anime? I.E. What are your Anime must see/own?

does it have to be bishoujo, or can be anything…including yaoi? :stuck_out_tongue:

Doesn’t have to be anything ::grin::… I’m just really knew to it all together and was curious about what is what in the Anime world… It’s always hard when starting a new hobby to know just what you’re doing and so forth…

i assume you have played bishoujo games right? :stuck_out_tongue:

man that’s hard to decide…what kinda genre are you most comfortable with? action? robots? sci-fi? sad/emotional? magical girls? comedy? love comedy? plain stupid shows? :stuck_out_tongue:

Let’s see… I’ll have to go based off my normal movie tastes since I really haven’t seen many Anime’s.

Comedy is always good. I’m also a sucker for tear jerkers too. I’m not really a sci-fi person and robots don’t really interest me all that much, however I’m always up for a good horror flick. I don’t mind sex, as long as it’s tastefuly done I.E. there’s a good plot to go along with it.

I’ve played some Bishoujo games before… among my favorites include: Kana, Crescendo, and Private Nurse.

To someone completely unfamiliar with anime, I’d recommend one of Hayao Miyazaki’s films as an introduction. Nausicae$B!&e(Bof the Valley of Wind, Laputa: The Castle in the Sky, Kiki’s Delivery Service, and Spirited Away are all excellent stories with fantasy, humor and drama and are currently available on R1 DVD.

There are as many kinds of anime as there are regular films. Rather than create a new recommendation list, I’ll point you to Anime on DVD’s. You’ll find series listed by title with a genre description. More information is available in the full review section and discussion forum on AOD.

If you are really new to anime, you probably want to avoid all hentai at first - not because they involve sex, but because the quality is usually lower than other anime.

[This message has been edited by perigee (edited 09-16-2005).]

For some decent horror/action, try out Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. It’s a good flick.

Ohhh man there are just too many good animes out there.
Some love, comedy, ecchi one’s are: Love Hina, Ichigo 100%, Guardian hearts, Chobits, Ranma 1/2 Nibun No Ichi(First 3 seasons are the best), Green Green, Girls bravo first and second season (some magical there), Great Theacher Onizuka.

If you like some drama love you should look at Peach Girl.

Sports and love: the all new Suzuka is realy good.

And the list is just goes on and on…

[This message has been edited by Thomas (edited 09-17-2005).]

Ok, I’ve decided on the following three. I think they will go well with the only two titles I’ve ever seen or owned. (Perfect Blue, and Sieral Experiments: Lain)

What can I say, I’m excited!

Video Girl Ai
Princess Mononoke
Record of Lodoss War (OAV)

quote:
Originally posted by ScorpioMysterica:
Ok, I've decided on the following three. I think they will go well with the only two titles I've ever seen or owned. (Perfect Blue, and Sieral Experiments: Lain)

Now if you want a really strange anime
-- more so than Lain -- pick up
.hack//sign and explain to me the ending. The last 3 minutes really has a strange plot twist.

Also I tend buy the older anime in boxed sets -- newest is not allways the best.
-----------------------
Smileys extra for $.25 each + shipping and handleing

[This message has been edited by woodelf (edited 09-22-2005).]

.hack//sign actually looks pretty cool. I’ll have to try and pick that up too when my cash flow increases a little more. Right now I’m saving for “The Movies” PC game… but I do have Anime on the mind and I want to, as has been mentioned, expose myself a little more to it over the next few months.

Ah! Megamisama, (Ah! My Goddess) TV series is being released by Media Blasters through their Anime Works label. If your a fan of romantic comedy you might want to check it out.

I would recommend any of the following (obviously I would not recommending going out and buying all of these sight unseen, but these are my personal favorites):

Crest / Banner of the Stars
Haibane Renmei
Kino’s Journeys
Tenchi Muyo!
Escaflowne
Cowboy Bebop
Full Metal Panic
Azumanga Daioh
Tsukihime
Berserk
Fruits Basket
Card Captor Sakura
Dragon Half
Excel Saga (not really an introductory title, though)
Read or Die
Scrapped Princess
Those who Hunt Elves

I would also recommend Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien aka The eternity you wish for. It’ll be out for the US later this year and is based off of a B-game. A word though it is not for the light of heart (nothing bloody) but the slice of life it gives many not be uplifting to some.

There is ofcourse classics such as Kenshin, the OVA’s Samurai X Trust and Betyral and Reflections. Love Hina, Escaflowne, Evangelion, GTO is pretty good.

Tsukihime wise I would play the game, the anime does not explain everything correctly such as why Arc has to suck blood eventhough she is a progenitor aka True Ancestor, why she is called Tsukihime (moon princess) etc.

Damn, I was starting to think Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien would never get localized. It’s a somewhat older anime; I wonder why they chose now to bring it over. If it sells anywhere near as well as people rank it on animenfo.com

I have a lot of favorite anime, but these are the ones I think are legendary. Most have somehow influenced my other hobbies and/or rethink what good anime is. They are in no particular order:

Evangelion: King of the psycho-religious with robots anime. Awesome plot, but the ending is so complex, no one understands it. Not even the creator.

Excel Saga: Funniest anime I’ve ever watched.

Futakoi Alternative: Sometimes its funny, sometimes its serious, but always fun. Twincest. Coolest opening ever.

Gunslinger Girl: Great soundtrack. Super quality animation. Fantastic mood. Not really loli, despite what it may seem.

Hellsing: Best example where the dub is better than the sub. One of the best “vampire hunter” series around. Paladin Alexander. Amen.

Samurai 7: An awesome anime remake of the legendary Seven Samurai movie. Great plot twist. FANTASTIC SCRIPT. Very emotional. Cool steampunk technology.

Scrapped Princess: Based off a Japanese novel series. One of the best - if not THE BEST - fantasy settings. Tons and tons of plot twists. Very emotional. Great soundtrack. Awesome character designs (same guy who did Brave Soul).

------------------
Chihaya: "Don’t look, don’t look!"
Chihiro: “But… it’s so big!”
- Futari de Hitotsu no Koigokoro

[This message has been edited by Nargrakhan (edited 04-19-2006).]

Sorry… double post…

[This message has been edited by Nargrakhan (edited 04-19-2006).]