Any chance School Days gets a release?

Actually the whole game is animated, not just the H scenes. The amount of animation varies, that’s all.

Summer Days, which is far less animated, is much smaller.

… :? :oops: :?: Even so, my DVD reader can play these DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL formats… Or not?

Yeah, most DVD readers can.

Note that basically all DVD videos that are released are double-layer; if you can play those, you can play a dual-layer disc.

EDIT: And if you need any more confirmation for your specific player, this review basically confirms it.

Summer Days also pretty much crushed why hype there was with the series through it’s numerous patching debacles worse than patches M$ put out for some of it’s stuff.

Grazie! :mrgreen:

Well, lots of lovestruck girls do stupid things :lol: :wink: , maybe the harem ending is more cute than ridiculous…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnslwYxXd1w

…Even if I would like to see monogamous love stuff, if translated for the rest of the world:

http://www.erogereview.com/2008/05/13/h … ruwashino/

Yeah, I’ve said this before, but I think Haruka ni Aogi is an excellent title. It’s essentially the school-based pure-love game perfected*. Plus, depending on your reading speed, there’s something like 150 hours of content in it.

I personally found it best to, rather than playing it all at once, play one route at a time and play something else in between each route. It’s a little bit much to play at all once =p

*while I do think this, I’m not exactly a big fan of pure love stories; I prefer stories with more ‘meat’ behind them, to be honest, so Haruka will never compare to titles like Sekien no Inganock or Syarin no Kuni in my eyes. That said, I had a lot of fun with Haruka, and I’ve had a lot of fun with other pure love stories like Koibito Doushide Surukoto Zenbu before, so I definitely don’t have a problem with the genre.

I think Yanderes like Kotonoha would make pretty excellent low-maintenance girlfriends, as long as you give them enough (exclusive) attention to stop them from going into Yandere mode. But I digress.

I always have my dictionaries close at hand, but I’m referring to them less and less as time goes by. I did four years of Japanese classes in school, but that was primary school/highschool-level, mandatory, and I didn’t really care that much about the language. It taught me the hiragana, the katakana, a lot of catchphrases (I probably learned more from anime later, to be honest), some basic kanji (like the numbers and various ‘essential’ ones) and how to tell the time =p

I got back into it in 2004 or so, and really started pouring time into it in 2005, when I started playing visual novels seriously. I used a combination of just about every newbie trick in the book to try and pull meaning out of every part of the visual novels I was into. It was very slow going, but in 2005 I was a very sad chap with far too much free time and nothing to do with it. Throughout 2006-2007, because I was spending practically all my spare time with visual novels and learning Japanese, I managed to progress decently through fairly random patterns of learning (I’ve been generally self-taught from that point), and by 2008 I can generally read pretty well, but I’m always learning.

Sorry! :oops:

Having played School Days myself I can definitely say it was the bad endings that made in famous in Japan. Most people who first started playing School Days were suckered into the promise of a moe style romance, but it’s only natural that many people would end up waffling between two girls etc. The point of the bad endings in school days was to give the players a dose of reality, that just sleeping with any girl will result in something bad happening to you. This was metaphorically demonstrated by 3 bad endings in the game. You could say there was a cry of pain from the surprisingly unexpected endings many otaku got in school days. Such things were never done on that scale before. There was just no hint, no alarm no nothing. So during the time when people just started playing the game, the ending came as a huge surprise since it wasn’t a common practice in the industry. You don’t usually mix seemingly light hearted high-school romance with death and violence etc. You could expect violent endings like that if you were playing something like Tsuki: Posession, or some crazy fetish game, rape sim etc. But not for something with a theme like School Days.

You could say the very title for School Days was misleading. Almost as if it’s trying to tell the audience that it’s just a normal game with nothing unusual about it. But regardless, as other people said in the thread, the bad endings are just a red herring. Their extremity and existance in a game thought to be a typical mundane romance is what makes it infamous and why the anime developers thought to include it since it would give their anime a little more fame than the 50 other shows like Da Capo, Kanon, Sola, True Tears etc.

I actually wrote a lot of the wikipedia text for School Days’ endings. I had to set the record straight in some cases. Many of the endings are actually the same ending just fed in by different scenarios. The game has little bar at the top that moves in the direction of one of the two girls. Your decisions affect which girl you get closer to. If you make any last minute shifts, it leads to a bad ending. But the game was designed to be flexible enough to help you change your mind.

Someone who was 100% dedicated to one girl is more likely to get a sex scene with her. The wiki used to say that the Christmas Eve ending was the best one, but that isn’t actually the case. Since you pretty much get NOTHING either EITHER girl. 80% of that ending consisted solely of timing out on decisions. You were pretty much hand’s off throughout the game.

Something I really liked about school days was how every decision had a timer on it. Sometimes you’re given anywhere between 1 - 4 choices but you could time out the choice which leads to a situation where the character remains silent, or continues what he’s doing etc. Another thing I like about it, is unlike many games we have in english, the “routes” the game takes which are listed in episodes are unique and different from each other. The more you play the game, the more it diverges from a “common” route. Sometimes entire scenes and activities are omitted. So you’re almost never really skipping anything.

I believe most post 20th century eroge take that approach these days, where you’re given a unique experience for each girl you target. I know that’s how many games like Tsuyokiss, Tsuyokiss 2, “They’re my noble masters”, fate/stay night, tsukihime etc handled it. I like that a lot than just skipping text for a few minor changes to the plot as was the case in snow sakura etc.

Yeah, the thing is that people really don’t like playing the same game four or five times… which is what you really get with really long ‘trunk’ games. With Tsukihime and Fate/stay Night it’s really, really obvious how much work went into making sure you didn’t have to play the same game several times, through giving the option to skip chapters you’ve already read, having fairly minimal repetition of scenes between routes (or none whatsoever, in the case of Fate/stay Night) etc.

While School Days provides a pretty unique experience each time from the wide variety of scenes, that same variety makes it very, very difficult to see everything in the game without a walkthrough. I think I managed it, but if I played it again I would definitely use a walkthrough.

In the anime the main portagonist is a first class bastard almost everybody either comits suicided goes mad or gets killed i mean its not a very "sweet image " so the anime takes the bad side of the game all the way(its a pretty bad sign when only the bad endings are good) .Its a very depresing thing and simply it doesn’t connect at least not with me sure if you like that sort of thing its fine but for me its simple one of those hyper products (heavy in size small in content) that simply doesn’t bring anything new .
As for it being released outside of japan dream on that sort of products never leaves japan never.