Any new rpg bishoujo

You can always play Kiahi Kawaii but it’s H-free.

Kishi Kawaii is not an RPG… -_-
Yes, I know about the dungeon, but still…

Dont’ know if any… but have you ever played The-Venerable-Game: ‘Cobra Mission’ ???

Any veteran gamer would recognize this.

Should you want to cross some mild language barriers, try Romance wa ken no Kagayaite 2…(uh perhaps I mispell it… Some people recognize it as Last Crusader 2).

It’s in Japanese but it’s pretty nice and quite fun(oh, and H-Free). But if yer lookin for Bishojo (as in ‘Pretty Gal’ literal meaning), perhaps it’s your no.1 choice.

[This message has been edited by MadCat (edited 02-22-2006).]

It’s not a standard japanese console-style RPG with a party that includes one brash teenage male sword-using hero, one healer/archer female, etc, no. But then I would argue that 99% of console-style-levelers are not RPGs at all, since they have zero role-playing involved… and thus we spin off into a long conversation of what exactly should be called what, which gets silly and accomplishes little.

Genre boundaries are and should be fuzzy, or else we’d be stuck playing nothing but the same game over and over again.

Whatever happened with the Men At Work fansub project?

Also, does anyone know exactly how ‘playable’ Piece of Wonder is? I’ve only seen the little demo movie with the strange geometric monsters being attacked. That could be your best bet for a new on-sale official bishoujo game with some game elements (non-H). Should be out within the year, no?

quote:
Originally posted by papillon:
It's not a standard japanese console-style RPG with a party that includes one brash teenage male sword-using hero, one healer/archer female, etc, no. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img] But then I would argue that 99% of console-style-levelers are not RPGs at all, since they have zero role-playing involved... and thus we spin off into a long conversation of what exactly should be called what, which gets silly and accomplishes little.

Genre boundaries are and should be fuzzy, or else we'd be stuck playing nothing but the same game over and over again. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Of course when the industry slaps "RPG" onto anything that remotely has you control "a character" or "group of characters" that's going a bit far and really completely destroys the meaning of RPG for most people.

As I said, the entire computer/console ‘RPG’ genre is pretty much trying to destroy the meaning of ‘RPG’ because most of them have ZERO to do with role-playing at all.

How many console RPGs allow you to make any meaningful character decisions at all? And of those, how many go beyond “choose to be either good or evil” or “choose your girlfriend”?

Anyone who’s ever played a proper tabletop or LARP game knows why I put ‘RPG’ in quotes whe talking video games, because most of them aren’t even trying. They’re stats-based tactical combat games with a plot tacked on.

Anyway, my point is that I don’t make too many assumptions if I see something marketed as an ‘RPG’. There’s not just one style of CRPG, and it requires reading more detailed reviews to find out what sort of game I’m being given.

[This message has been edited by papillon (edited 02-24-2006).]

Actually, in Japan, tabletop role playing games (TPRG) aren’t all that different from console games at times. True, there’s D&D in Japan, but Enterbrain publishes a butt ton of TRPG, and the vast majority of them have predesigned characters for players to use.

When I mean predesigned, I mean they have premade names, stats, skills, equipment, etc.

Japanese have a different view point on the word “RPG” - as they do with many things.

Nonetheless, the “tabletop” side of the RPG word usage is becoming less and less mainstream with the gaming consoles dominating the market. Hell… doesn’t Square-Enix make more money than Wizard of the Coast?

Role-playing was never all that mainstream. We’ve been geeks hiding in corners since long before these newfangled video games started showing up.

As for company net worth - Many LARPs I’ve been to didn’t support any company, other than possibly the costumers. No rulebooks, no purchased scenarios. So how can you possibly track how many of us are enjoying that particular pastime? (Which has always been a problem for any business wanting to make money on this sort of thing - keeping people from Making Things Up themselves keeps them more reliant on your prepackaged fun, so you can sell more to them.)

Amusingly, some of the newer RPG sourcebooks do try to explain the concept of leveling up and gaining experience as “like in a video game”, since nowadays they figure gaming newbies will have more knowledge of that sort of thing!

It’s not like I want to strip the title from the CRPGs and demand that they all be called some new fruity thing I come up with. It’s just that if you’re going to talk about damaging the meaning of the word, I think actual gamers have more grounds for that complaint.

quote:
Originally posted by papillon:
Role-playing was never all that mainstream. We've been geeks hiding in corners since long before these newfangled video games started showing up. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

I beg your pardon. I most certainly am not a geek. I am a dork.

(Never mind that I'll claim to be a geek when convenient to make another joke ...)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by papillon:
[B]Role-playing was never all that mainstream. We’ve been geeks hiding in corners since long before these newfangled video games started showing up.
Amusingly, some of the newer RPG sourcebooks do try to explain the concept of leveling up and gaining experience as “like in a video game”, since nowadays they figure gaming newbies will have more knowledge of that sort of thing!

{/QUOTE]

I’ve looked at quite a few of the new d20 rulebooks everything seems to be going to. I have to say, they seem more specifically structured and full of definitions as you described. Yet, at the same time, I have been reading reports that the growth of anime/manga among young teens has led to kind of a rebirth of interest in traditional pen and paper stuff. Kind of the reverse of what I would expect some of us here experienced.

It would be nice to see some of the more open-ended stuff find a place again. I am thinking along the lines of the Castle Falkensteins and some of the freer systems of the 90s that almost encouraged LARPG.

quote:
Originally posted by Miau:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by papillon:
[B]Role-playing was never all that mainstream. We've been geeks hiding in corners since long before these newfangled video games started showing up. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
Amusingly, some of the newer RPG sourcebooks do try to explain the concept of leveling up and gaining experience as "like in a video game", since nowadays they figure gaming newbies will have more knowledge of that sort of thing!

{/QUOTE]

I've looked at quite a few of the new d20 rulebooks everything seems to be going to. I have to say, they seem more specifically structured and full of definitions as you described. Yet, at the same time, I have been reading reports that the growth of anime/manga among young teens has led to kind of a rebirth of interest in traditional pen and paper stuff. Kind of the reverse of what I would expect some of us here experienced.

It would be nice to see some of the more open-ended stuff find a place again. I am thinking along the lines of the Castle Falkensteins and some of the freer systems of the 90s that almost encouraged LARPG.

quote:
Originally posted by Nargrakhan:
True, there's D&D in Japan...

Interesting. Can you post the Link of the Japanese publishing house (the Italian equivalent is http://www.25edition.it/ ) which translates the game manuals from Wizard of the Coast?
And, on a side note... what are you attempting to say in your last post, Nargrakhan [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/confused.gif[/img]?

[This message has been edited by Baldo (edited 02-25-2006).]

quote:
Originally posted by Nargrakhan:
True, there's D&D in Japan...

I've done some research myself, and I've discovered that D&D truly exists in Japan, although we Italians have more game manuals translated available.
Japanese publishing house (Hobby Japan):
http://www.hobbyjapan.co.jp/dd/
A Japanese D&D fan site:
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Toys/6305/d20/dnd3e.html