Anyone play Haruiro Ouse yet? (?

I can’t tell if the game is good or bad yet because there seem to be too few ratings in EGS since it only came out like a week ago. But from what I can see, the game looks like it’s mediocre and only has a good OP movie.

Anyone have anything else to say on it? I think maybe the values of Japanese reviewers differ from mine. But then again I pretty much stand with them in regards to the rating difference between Tsuyokiss 1 and 2, so they can’t be that different.

I’ve put a bit of time into it (been spending most of that time on 5 and LB!EX, though, to be honest). I think they’re being a bit harsh, probably because it’s not as good as Ashita no Kimi to Autame ni. Which it isn’t, but it’s fun enough so far and certainly far from a waste of money.

In practice, Japanese reviewers seem to be VERY harsh when a title doesn’t meet their expectations, fair or not. I can understand why Haruiro Ouse might disappoint people, but it’s NOT a bad game.

Anyway, while the opening movie is okay, I don’t think it’s as nifty as Ashita no Kimi’s… same with the pretty animated backgrounds etc. I do like the character art style more though.

Is it the case that the protagonist is some guy unable to fall in love who cruelly treats the other girls?

I just got my copy a couple of days ago, and plan to start playing it this weekend. It’ll be my reward for when I finish extracting the script for the Asahi route of AsuKimi. :slight_smile:

Do you think so? Purple Software is a well established brand, so I’m pretty sure the fans know what to expect from a typical release.

With these scores, I’d expect that for many players, the game must fall short of whatever standards they usually hold the company to (i.e. Primitive Link was similarly hammered).

It could be that they’re still annoyed about the imouto only being a secondary character. Everywhere I went before the game came out, that’s all I heard, “Why doesn’t the imouto have a route?” Even I was saying it. :lol:

Ehh… I thought Nanami being a secondary character in AsuKimi was a far worse crime. I like imouto secondary characters… they act as a good ‘balance’ for the protagonist (December when there is no angel etc.).

Well I just hit the Konoha scenario in Haruiro. This game is incredible stuff, for the first time, I actually FELT something while playing. I found Konoha so charming that I could feel my heart beating exactly at the same times the protagonist could feel his. This is incredible! Usually when I play games like this I’m largely indifferent to all the characters, but Konoha is just gold…

Ayano is also the coolest little sister character I’ve ever seen. At first I thought it was a crime to not include her as an attainable character, but I like that feeling of family that they created by sticking her in the secondary role. I feel like I really got the run for my money with Haruiro. I’m worried that I won’t be able to enjoy Asukimi as much as I enjoyed Haruiro. The art for some reason doesn’t seem as good.

I don’t like AsuKimi’s character design as much as Haruiro’s, however, that’s a relatively minor point. I’ll give a rundown.

1. Haruiro’s characters look less ‘shiny’ than AsuKimi’s
  2. AsuKimi’s characters look a bit too similar. Haruiro’s characters have more variety in general (but they look a bit similar to Purple’s previous works, whereas AsuKimi looks pretty unique for a Purple production)
  3. AsuKimi has superior background graphics. This is actually a fairly major point, considering a LOT of work went into AsuKimi’s background art. The animations etc. are superb.
  4. AsuKimi has, IMHO, superior CG to Haruiro, but they vary. Again, the somewhat uninteresting and similar character design in AsuKimi hurts CGs that would otherwise be spectacular.

Finally, AsuKimi’s story is good stuff, and I like the characters a lot more. If you liked Haruiro, I can almost guarantee you that you’ll like AsuKimi a LOT. Art isn’t THAT important. It’s important, but the scenario, the characters, the story etc. is moreso. After all my fourth favourite (I think) visual novel looks like this. =P

Yeah, but I must admit I really, really like Konoha. I have never in my life witnessed a heroine that has such a well balanced character. She’s got the gentleness of a moe personality yet the added mischief of tsundere type girls and just seems a lot more independent and free spirited without being a bitch about it. It is absolutely brilliant. I mean seriously name one girl who would cover for you if she caught you hiding out in the girl’s locker room or offer to help you change clothes in the morning. If it was any other eroge character there’d be a scream followed by the character getting a beating or comically flying into the sky becoming a shooting star.

EDIT: By the way, is it just me or does the artist/writer/project head seem to have a major stocking fetish? All the girls wear stockings and even background girls mostly wear them too. Not much in the way of bare legs. Either the Spring season in their town is rather chilly or perhaps there is a special reason for it.

Well, I’ve finally finished a route (Haruna’s) and I have to say; the game definitely deserves a lot more than the 57% average it’s currently sitting on at erogamescape. It won’t get on my top 25 list, but I quite thoroughly enjoyed that. I don’t regret the purchase in the least.

Come on, erogamescape, giving this a score more than than 10% lower than SHUFFLE! of all things is just being bitchy. =P

Well, this game is drawn by the Akiiro pair, so I think you can safely assume that, yes, the artists DO like their stockings. XD

Two questions:

1. Is SHUFFLE! a bad game? I thought it was pretty famous with most people buying it together with Fate/Stay Night.

2. Tell me about Akiiro, was that a good game at all? What was the plot? I actually like the art behind Haruiro a lot.

Shuffle! is pretty famous, yes. It has an anime adaptation and everything!

But it’s NOT a good game. Nowhere near it. It’s uninteresting, the story is stupid, the characters are unrealistic and, honestly, it’s just a slog to go through. It’s certainly got nothing on Fate/stay Night. It’s in general horribly overrated.

Akiiro Renka and Akiiro Ouka are two older Purple Software titles. I haven’t played them (in fact, I’ve been recommended NOT to), but I’m familiar enough with the art. The only Purple Software titles I’ve played are Majipuri, Ashita no Kimi to Autame ni and Haruiro Ouse.

Well this is a bit off topic, but while we’re on the subject of Asukimi, why do some of the girls have 2 ends listed in walkthroughs. Which ending is the better one?

Both endings are good; it’s really a matter of personal taste. Just save before you make your final choice, watch one ending, then reload after the credits and choose the other option for the second ending. You’ll need to see both endings to get all the CGs.