Are companies abandoning ero for good?

Nitro+'s Chaos Head is a non ero visual novel, and lately non-ero PS2 remakes of many popular games like Clannad and FSN have been popping up. I also hear type-moon’s Witch of the Holy night (not sure how it’s said exactly it’s a long annoying title) will be non ero as well. Does this mean that companies like Type-Moon and Nitro+ have abandoned the eroge genre in favor of appealing to wider audiences? Does this mean that we won’t see anymore eroge from these companies?

To clarify my position on the matter, it’s not like I explicitly mind or anything. I just see it as some kind of censorship. The company has had a tradition of making erogames and when they stop putting it in it feels like I’m missing something. I don’t see ero as a explicit requirement but i’m starting to think ero content is the only way good writers can get their games out and sell them successfully, and once they have a reputation they just ditch that. I just personally see Ero as a rewarding part of the plot (when done right). It’s sort of saddening to see it all come to an end.

But I can kind of understand it. The sex scenes in FSN and Tsukihime not only sucked but they didn’t really make any sense either and were obviously just thrown in for sales.

EDIT: My mistake, Clannad didn’t even have a non ero remake, it was non ero from the get-go. Not that this means its a bad game or anything.

Ero’s not going to go away, however, I wouldn’t be surprised if companies like Nitro+, Key and TYPE-MOON, even if they didn’t abandon eroge altogether, started producing more and more nonero titles. I don’t expect e.g. Alicesoft to suddenly decide ‘we’re not making ero any more’.

I think it’s a good thing, really, since it widens the market for these titles and provides more variety in general - non-ero remakes other than console ports have traditionally been somewhat of a rarity.

AFAIK, Nitro+ proper still releases 18+ games (although the last Demonbane release was indeed all-ages. Supposedly, Kadokawa Shoten partially funded the production). Chaos;Head was an exception because it was created/written by 5pb, a company that only does non-adult titles.

Well, it really means that their work is so popular and highly regarded that they can sell non-ero games without losing many customers. Since console ports are already available, there’s no wider audience to capture.

Nevertheless, I’d be surprised if Type-Moon never released another eroge.

That might be the consumer’s point of view. However, writers probably prefer to present as true an expression of their vision as possible. In some cases, that means a non-erotic story.

I think ero-content will be sticking around for a while. For every all-ages release, there are about a hundred 18+ PC titles. :wink:

I am going to go ahead and say that non ero visual novels are for girls. :lol:

i hope you know that your statement will provoke alot of flames from some of the other members, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

but back on topic, the occasional non-ero release is not a bad thing, at least in my opinion. but then i can also see it, from a company’s standpoint, as a money generating strategy because it can be released in cross-platforms and they know fans in japan will buy every single variant of the same title possible :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, as I’m a girl and I like non-ero visual novels, I can’t argue that much… :slight_smile:

I like non-ero visual novels. I also like ero visual novels. The ero doesn’t actually factor in, because it’s not what I like about visual novels. =P

Yes, good ero scenes are a plus, but they won’t carry your game any more than your fancy animations, SRPG/card battle/mahjongg minigames, voiced protagonist or other similar ‘gimmicks’ will, in my view.

Fine. Go ahead and say it, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t also for boys. Like me, for example. :smiley:

Yeah I don’t mind non-ero either, since I really liked Ever 17. I also intend to get my hands on Chaos;Head sometime soon. It’s kinda funny my recent eroge spree is due to the fact that I don’t want to buy a new computer for higher end games. Yet at the same time I am probably going to pretty much dish out a PC’s worth of money buying these games. It’s just sometimes the characters are so good you wish you could romance them even though it’s really all about the plot.

Then what are all those 18+ otome and BL games? :wink:

Yea, there are a few i don’t mind. Most are anime themed though (unless princess maker counts).