AX announcements

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Thomas:
Well, I did, and I enjoyed the bejimminy out of it.

"bejimminy"? Been awhile since I've heard that term. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

To tell you the truth, I don't think they'll ever get to the point where they license all the anime titles I want to see. Oh well, gives me more incentive to brush up on my Japanese. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] I am happy to see the manga market expand though. Even though I don't always agree with the translation choices, it's still way better than having to translate them myself...

quote:
Originally posted by Sakamoto:
I sort of have a love-hate relationship in regards to fansubs. In a perfect world I would prefer the Kakyuusei TV series and Elf version Kakyuusei OVAs never get fansubbed and the series just get picked up for region 1 so I can buy them that way. I'm less than comfortable with the idea of a bunch of fansub copies floating around and cutting into regular DVD sales, but on the other hand I really like the [Kakyuusei TV series and Elf version Kakyuusei OVA] (esp. the TV series) and I want to better understand what they are talking about.

If you don't mind me saying this, Sakamoto, I do believe that most of the stories you mentioned (Video Girl Ai, Ai Yori Aoshi, My Dear Marie, etc.) might be more bishoujo then shounen. I state this because, in all of these shows it is the pretty girl who drives the story along... the guy, though important, is just along for the ride. Those shows you mentioned are more heroine-focused works then hero-focused.

Anyway, though, what was it you wanted to know about Kakyusei TV? I'd offer some comments on the OVA, but it's been forever since I've seen them, and I only have the first LD of the OVA. I have all the region 2 DVDs, of the TV series.

quote:
Originally posted by Sakamoto:
1. What was Maki's story about since she had the shortest appearance of any of the girls in the anime?

2. And what was Minatsu's after hours activity in the game? ^.^

Okay, the game Kakyusei had some dozen girls of various personalities you could try to win the hearts of, including some 3 hidden characters (Maki, Mahoko, and Tina) that you could find, if you did stuff in town a lot. Maki is the fishmonger girl.

The TV series choose to focus on Ai and Miyuki, but at least give a bit of coverage to all of the cast.

Unfortunately, although I have Kakyusei for the Sega Genesis, I haven't actually played it yet, so I'm not 100% positive about Maki's story/motivation. I would venture to guess that she is working in the family store, and probably is wrestling with the idea of what she wants to do with her future (follow her parents lead, or do something else.)

As for Minatsu's after hours activity... I'm going to let you think on that one :P

quote:
If you don't mind me saying this, Sakamoto, I do believe that most of the stories you mentioned (Video Girl Ai, Ai Yori Aoshi, My Dear Marie, etc.) might be more bishoujo then shounen. I state this because, in all of these shows it is the pretty girl who drives the story along... the guy, though important, is just along for the ride. Those shows you mentioned are more heroine-focused works then hero-focused.
You're confusing yourself, Mike. "Shounen" = "aimed at boys"; best for "bishoujo" (in that context) would be "focusing on pretty girls". Obviously, "bishoujo" anime would be "shounen" anime as well, as they're "obviously" aimed at a male audience...

quote:
Originally posted by olf_le_fol:
You're confusing yourself, Mike. "Shounen" = "aimed at boys"; best for "bishoujo" (in that context) would be "focusing on pretty girls". Obviously, "bishoujo" anime would be "shounen" anime as well, as they're "obviously" aimed at a male audience...

Olf_le_fol:

First, I spelled it correctly. No, "Ole_le_fol" for me [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, since bishoujo is a sub-genre of shounen (both are works designed to appeal to a male audience), I wasn't really incorrect. Just slightly different ways of stating something.

Now, I would say a "normal" shounen show might be something more like Gundam or DBZ, where the focus is on the action/adventure aspects of the story.

Mike, nothing can be “more bishoujo than shounen” since everything bishoujo is shounen.

quote:
Now, I would say a “normal” shounen show might be something more like Gundam or DBZ, where the focus is on the action/adventure aspects of the story.
“Shounen” in that meaning means “aimed at boys”. Point. Western fanboys and fangirls incorrectly thought it means “focusing on the action/adventure” just as they incorrectly think “shoujo” = “everything with romance”, that’s all.

Actually there is alot of shonen romances, like Ai Yori Aoshi, Mamotte Shugo Getten, Maison Ikkoku, Love Hina to name a few. Shonen is like Olf said mainly a marketing designation saying it’s aimed at boys. And really there are alot of shonen stuff that you think is shoujo and shoujo stuff that you would swear is shonen.

quote:
Originally posted by olf_le_fol:
Western fanboys and fangirls incorrectly thought it means "focusing on the action/adventure" just as they incorrectly think "shoujo" = "everything with romance", that's all.

Fair enough.