Bave Soul is the best h-game I played so far!

Hey carroll is a red hed too. She’s pretty stacked too, not quite as stacked as alicia but…

So I’ll summarize so far;-)
Hottest/favorite girl:
1. Ruby - 3 (me included;-)
Clare - 3
3. Alicia - 1
Marin - 1
5. Carrol - 0
Karen - 0

Come on…The competition is on fire;-)

quote:
Originally posted by K-Oss:
So I'll summarize so far;-)
Hottest/favorite girl:
Clare - 3
3. Alicia - 1
Marin - 1
5. Carrol - 0
Karen - 0
Come on...The competition is on fire;-)

ohh...Let me vote for Clare again... ^_^

lol…nope no chance…not 2 votes for one guy…think you’ll have to register with a different nick;-)

quote:
It's much fun, the girls are really very hot and the story is great as well!

[img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/confused.gif[/img] I can't agree with your enthusiasm on this one. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/confused.gif[/img]
I now played through Alicia's storyline and I think it's nice, but nothing special. Certainly not as special as Kana or Private Nurse.

And the concept of having to play through many of the missions (because they are missions you can't turn down) over and over and over again if you want to get the paths of all girls might increase the total playing time of the game, but it is IMHO more annoying than entertaining. In particular those unfathomable huge dungeon levels that only hide the staircases.

So, I think that CROWD made the right decision to not make a second of its kind. It was a nice experiment with another kind of gameplay, but I'll prefer more story-oriented games.

Regarding the story's depth, this game is in my book closer to The Maid's Story than to Kana.

Admittedly, I don't know the other girl's storylines yet, but I know I'll have to face Cobden all the times again in my next playthroughs, so I wonder which of the girl's storylines is certainly quite more noteworthy than Alicia's? Clares's perhaps?

Because I want to mend my current opinion as soon as possible, I'd take on this girl next, so give me your suggestions and please without any reasons that would spoil their stories for me. I am simply going to count the votes and the girl with the most suggestion is going to be the second that I am going to try for.

Meanwhile, I am going to play Phantom of Inferno or Crescendo instead, because they are giving me certainly more of what I usually expect in a bishoujo-game.

Especially Phantom of Inferno took me by surprise. I am still in the very beginning , but it's story already seems to be in the same league as Eve Burst Error and Chain.

[This message has been edited by Unicorn (edited 12-09-2003).]

Clare and Caroll’s storylines are the best in my opinion. Marine (Why isn’t there an “e”!?) is disappointing and Ruby and Karen is so-so.

I too think Moon Goddess and Caroll’s endings are more interesting than Alicia’s.

By the way, your speculation is correct. Phantom of Inferno has one of the most complex and interesting story lines I have ever seen in a Bisoujo game. It took me around 10 hours of nonstop playing to get “ONE” ending of the game. Even though it does have some …errr…should i say laughable typos in the game, I was still deeply impressed by this particular title.
I personally think its story easily surpasses Eve Burst Error’s and Chain’s.

However, I do have to disagree with the fact that you try to compare Brave Soul with Private Nurse and Kana. Let me first say I love Private Nurse and Kana as they simply are 2 of the best Bishjo Games released in English Speaking market in recent years. The reason why i disagree with the comparison made above is because they simply are 2 totally different types of games. Brave Soul focuses more on game playing and monster fighting as most RPG games do which are quite different from ADV games that we have seen so far. And Brave Soul simply is one of the better Bishoujo RPG games ever made. Comparing RPG games and ADV games is just like comparing cats and dogs. Both are games but just have different built and game playing designs. :slight_smile:

quote:
Originally posted by Noirbo:
The reason why i disagree with the comparison made above is because they simply are 2 totally different types of games. Brave Soul focuses more on game playing and monster fighting as most RPG games do which are quite different from ADV games that we have seen so far.

That's right, but I wanted to express that I don't think that the story in Brave Soul is its strength compared to others (as the original starter of this thread stated).

Brave Soul certainly is a very good game, but its strong point is the gameplay and not the stories. The stories are nice, but certainly don't come close to the stories in the games, whose genre is story-focussed. So, I had to cut in on the usual praises regarding this game and to point out that I can't agree in this particular point.

However, I also can't agree to that a RPG has to have a weak story. There is the Final Fantasy series as a example that RPGs can have a brilliant storyline. But the problem of Brave Soul is that they also have to feature multiple endings. Giving each of the girls a story as complex as a Final Fanatasy game would have increased the production costs of this game insanely (not to mention, the time it would have taken to localize it). So, for the sake of the different possible endings, this game doesn't feature complex storylines in order to keep its production costs at a reasonable level.

One thing that I find very interesting, and think that Crowd did well, is the fact that the romance side ties in to the rpg side. What I mean is, for example, by advancing the girl’s romance storyline, she learns new spells/abilities that are usable (and make her stronger) in the rpg/adventuring side.

Just my .02 worth. I’m still more hooked on this game than any other b-game I’ve played, enough so to actually attempt a faq/walkthru for it.

Well there’s certainly one person who doesn’t share our enthusiasm for Brave Soul. “Shopkeepers”

Somehow Zack Parsons manages to comprehensively slaughter games I really like and has me laughing my ass off in the process. Again,

[This message has been edited by Interzone (edited 12-11-2003).]

This may be a stupid question, but: if he hates it that f-ing much, why does he keep doing these reviews? I say “Quit and get another f-ing job, asshol!”

ADD: yes, I misspelled “asshol” on purpose. Read the review and you’ll understand.

[This message has been edited by Nameless Mofo (edited 12-11-2003).]

That “review” in Somethingawful had to be the most ill-informed I’ve ever read. It’s so off the mark it would be funny except for the fact that it might dissuade potential buyers. It sounds like the reviewer has the most corrupted Windows PC ever misconfigured with random downloads in existence. It’s too bad idiots are allowed to submit game reviews for public consumption. I feel like issuing some kind of rebuttal there, but I don’t think their site provides for it. It’s a crime to trash a great game like Brave Soul when the person involved doesn’t have a clue about RPGs, B-games or basic Windows maintenance.

quote:
So I'll summarize so far;-)
Hottest/favorite girl:
Clare - 3
3. Alicia - 1
Marin - 1
5. Carrol - 0
Karen - 0

Come on...The competition is on fire;-)

My vote is for Alicia.

quote:
Originally posted by perigee:
That "review" in Somethingawful had to be the most ill-informed I've ever read. It's so off the mark it would be funny except for the fact that it might dissuade potential buyers

While I believe that the reviewer genuinely dislikes bishojo games for a number of reasons, I'm left with no doubt that this dislike is hammed-up and played for laughs. I mean, it is SomethingAwful we're talking about, not a place one would go for insightful reviews.

Besides, he mentioned in his review of Secret Wives Club that G-Collections sent him his review copy, and he's panned a few of their games quite severely. All publicity is good publicity, or some shit clichÈ.

And to be honest, I don't think complaining about it will do much good... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

EDIT: Not to mention that Peter writes comments on the reviewed games, and JList is a SomethingAwful sponsor!

[This message has been edited by Interzone (edited 12-11-2003).]

Thanks for the suggestion about adding to the glossary. I’ve added to the definition of otaku somewhat.

Hey, what if the Takuya scene with Chisato is part of XC3??? Wouldn’t that be…???

Oo, gotta email a programmer.

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Payne:
Hey, what if the Takuya scene with Chisato is part of XC3??? Wouldn't that be...???

Oo, gotta email a programmer.

*perks up*
Hmmmmm?

Hasn't CROWD stopped using any shameless advertising in all newer releases? Actually, I liked that (and the encounter with Takuya in Brave Soul in particular), but perhaps they overdid it a bit in Doushin and got complaints about it from their japanese customers?

At least, I didn't see any in "Owarinaki maidotachi no yoru" and "Obbligato". Because I have not yet taken a closer look at "Miss you", I can't tell if there was any of that, though...

quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn:
[img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/confused.gif[/img] I can't agree with your enthusiasm on this one. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/confused.gif[/img]
I now played through Alicia's storyline and I think it's nice, but nothing special. Certainly not as special as Kana or Private Nurse.

IMHO, you shouldn't compare a ren'ai masterpiece with an RPG game. BS is an outstanding game too and it even reminds me about Knights of Xentar...