Beside this games

quote:
Originally posted by TurricaN:
Besides bishoujo gaming (Which I can't do much of right now, since I rarely use Windows anymore and plan to delete it in 2003), I watch anime, write music, play keyboard, do shotokan karate, learn Linux, learn Japanese, play games over my universities LAN, get drunk, and well, that's about it.

Funny thing is, I've been at uni for six weeks now and I really don't feel that I've done any real work or learned anything. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

Shotokan?? You take shotokan?? Wow. I took it for ages and ages. I got close to a black belt twice, and then we moved both times. (The one time I started over, the second time no one taught it where I ended up.)

As for uni...where are you going to school? And is this your first semester at uni? (If it is, then it's no wonder it's damned easy for you.(

PS2.

Currently addicted to Legaia 2 Duel Saga for PS2.

quote:
Originally posted by rowena:
PS2.

Currently addicted to Legaia 2 Duel Saga for PS2.

Waaaaaaaaaaahhh!

So, not only "Suikoden 3", but also "Legaia 2" is already released in the US and we in europe still have to wait. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/frown.gif[/img]

(I hope not for a whole year, as it was in the case with "Final Fantas√Ω X". Well FFX is a very special matter to me, that even caused me to have a grudge against Square, because there were so much promises that weren't kept: starting with a german translated soundtrack (that was replaced by subtitles) and ending with a sucking PAL-conversion that in the end lead me to the decision to buy the game only after his Platinum-release. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/mad.gif[/img] )

If you are a fan of rpgs on consoles I think that you can forget your european console and buy an american or japanese one. For the first playstation (and super nintendo…) Square only released a few of their best rpgs (the FF and that’s all, no legend of Mana or Chrono Cross for example) on the european version…

quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
If you are a fan of rpgs on consoles I think that you can forget your european console and buy an american or japanese one.

That sounds nice. So, I am supposed to use my euopean console as a brick, if I am going to build a house, right? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img] [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

quote:
Square only released a few of their best rpgs (the FF and that's all, no legend of Mana or Chrono Cross for example) on the european version...

Fine with me. Square already pissed me off with having to wait one year for that kind of conversion for FF X. The fact, that FF XI is going to be a download-monster doesn't help my attitude much: FF X (Platinum) is going to be the really "final" Final Fantasy for me.

quote:
Originally posted by joe_kun:
Don't forget Wild Arms 3.

Oh Noooooooooooo!
(I want my bawling smily back!)

Hey Joe_kun, Wild Arms 3 is tight game, but I am not so sure about Gungrave, I know it is from the artist of Tri-gun, but I heard that you can finished the game in 40 mins. Well, I hope you like it.

quote:
If you are a fan of rpgs on consoles I think that you can forget your european console and buy an american or japanese one. For the first playstation (and super nintendo...) Square only released a few of their best rpgs (the FF and that's all, no legend of Mana or Chrono Cross for example) on the european version...

Um. Really. Take my word for it--don't believe the hype. Legend of Mana and Chrono Cross just aren't that great.

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
Um, neither. I dabble in pen and paper RPGs (...)
That's what I was talking about... o_O'

quote:
Originally posted by ladyphoenix:
i am a sworn 2nd edition D&D player...3rd edition makes your character way too powerful once you get going....it has its good points, but i prefer my own version of 2nd edition (i usually DM when i play) wherei re-do the mage and cleric magic trees and completely change how non-weapon proficiencies work and i am a happy person [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
(...)

Bah. D&D 1st ed. wasn't too bad but too incomplete, AD&D first ed. was very flawed and irrealistic, 2nd wasn't better, D&D 3rd ed. is IMO so far the best... though it can be as easily abused as the 2 others by munchkins! But then, D&D and AD&D are the munchkins game by excellence, so... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]
quote:
Um. Really. Take my word for it--don't believe the hype. Legend of Mana and Chrono Cross just aren't that great.

Maybe they aren't that great... But compared to what ? They are much better than anything that could be played on the European first playstation, no ?

quote:
Maybe they aren't that great... But compared to what ? They are much better than anything that could be played on the European first playstation, no ?

Even better than Final Fantasy IX?
I don't think so...

hey, i loved both legend of mana AND chrono cross…neither of them compare to xenogears (my absolute favorite of all time) but they were both excellent games that i still play today

quote:
Originally posted by olf_le_fol:
[quote] Originally posted by Nandemonai:
[b] Um, neither. I dabble in pen and paper RPGs (...)

That's what I was talking about... o_O'

[/b] [/quote]

Yes. And I'm not terribly into them, hence my use of the word "dabble".

quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn:
I don't think so...

*strangled choking sound*

Umm...

Is there anywhere with an exhaustive list of PSX RPGs that saw European release that I can consult before I have an aneurysm?

quote:
Originally posted by ladyphoenix:
hey, i loved both legend of mana AND chrono cross....neither of them compare to xenogears (my absolute favorite of all time) but they were both excellent games that i still play today :)

As it stands now, Xenogears is an ex-candidate for best RPG of all time list. This is sort of convoluted, so bear with me.

Right after I played XG, my opinion was that it was the best RPG ever made; that because of the nature of the story it told, it was questionable whether anything could ever actually even get in the same league; and that the game would have been worth $100 (at a time when that was more than a week's pay).

Several years later, I played Planescape: Torment, and it was just incredible. After beating it I judged that it was told much much better than XG and its gameplay was much better. But XG is still XG, and so they tied for The Best RPG of All Time to Date.

Then I played FFX. More or less, repeat. So then it was a three way tie.

Then a friend beat XG and wasn't terribly impressed. So now I'm replaying Xenogears, and all the flaws that were not apparent when XG was released, because of the sheer paucity of the US market at the time...are now readily apparent. And so I have more or less come to the following conclusion:

Xenogears ranks with Valkyrie Profile--it is a game that should have been a candidate for The Best RPG of All Time, but isn't. This category is reserved for games which aimed high, hit the mark for the most part, and screwed something up.

As for Valkyrie Profile, to sum up in a paragraph what I could write an editorial on, it was a FLAWLESS game. And I do mean that--there was NOTHING WRONG with what was there. At all. If I could I would change nothing. It was just that there wasn't enough plot.

As for Xenogears...well, Xenogears is Xenogears and its plot is still unparallelled. But it's got problems. Its graphics are, looking back, simply hideous at times. The battle system is IMO tied with Thousand Arms for the single worst ever conceived and executed. The game text reads like early Sony translations--in other words, like they had the people who did their instruction manuals do the translation. As for the game itself, so much of the early game needed editing.

But Disc 2 is still awesome.

quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn:
I don't think so...

I agree that Final Fantasy IX and Xenogear are great games, but what I mean is that you can have much more than these 2 on an american PS. You can also get tactical rpgs, etc... The European version gets all the crappy snooker and surf games but only a few rpgs. That's just my opinion, no offense to snooker and surf games player [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

quote:
As it stands now, Xenogears is an ex-candidate for best RPG of all time list. This is sort of convoluted, so bear with me.

Right after I played XG, my opinion was that it was the best RPG ever made; that because of the nature of the story it told, it was questionable whether anything could ever actually even get in the same league; and that the game would have been worth $100 (at a time when that was more than a week's pay).

Several years later, I played Planescape: Torment, and it was just incredible. After beating it I judged that it was told much much better than XG and its gameplay was much better. But XG is still XG, and so they tied for The Best RPG of All Time to Date.

Then I played FFX. More or less, repeat. So then it was a three way tie.

Then a friend beat XG and wasn't terribly impressed. So now I'm replaying Xenogears, and all the flaws that were not apparent when XG was released, because of the sheer paucity of the US market at the time...are now readily apparent. And so I have more or less come to the following conclusion:

Xenogears ranks with Valkyrie Profile--it is a game that should have been a candidate for The Best RPG of All Time, but isn't. This category is reserved for games which aimed high, hit the mark for the most part, and screwed something up.

As for Valkyrie Profile, to sum up in a paragraph what I could write an editorial on, it was a FLAWLESS game. And I do mean that--there was NOTHING WRONG with what was there. At all. If I could I would change nothing. It was just that there wasn't enough plot.

As for Xenogears...well, Xenogears is Xenogears and its plot is still unparallelled. But it's got problems. Its graphics are, looking back, simply hideous at times. The battle system is IMO tied with Thousand Arms for the single worst ever conceived and executed. The game text reads like early Sony translations--in other words, like they had the people who did their instruction manuals do the translation. As for the game itself, so much of the early game needed editing.

But Disc 2 is still awesome.

XENOGEARS IMO IS the BEST RPG I've played to date. As for the graphcs, yeah sure they suck now compared to everything else that has been brought out but for that time period of when it was released thats what was basicly being used. IMO square has yet to top Xenogears with any of its other games story wise. For an Excellant Battle system though try a game called Grandia for the PS1. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by Thundercat:
XENOGEARS IMO IS the BEST RPG I've played to date. As for the graphcs, yeah sure they suck now compared to everything else that has been brought out but for that time period of when it was released thats what was basicly being used. IMO square has yet to top Xenogears with any of its other games story wise. For an Excellant Battle system though try a game called Grandia for the PS1. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

I meant that XG's graphics sucked in comparison to other games of its time.

i am one of those gamers that doesn’t care about graphics as long as the proper feel gets across…i love thousand arms, and except for the parts where anime-style drawing is used, the graphics are beyond bad

xenogears affected me in ways no story ever has before…it made me think, it made me laugh and cry, it made me truly care about the characters…other games, movies, etc have done this before, but not to the extent that xenogears did…it also very boldly made its own theory about very religious and spiritual views and gave them a whole new meaning

and it is also the only game to date that has ever made me throw up (when i discovered what the soylent system in solaris REALLY was)