Bishoujo game T-shirts

quote:
However, I have been concerned that would be infringement on copy-right? Unless of course you have permission from the original artists of the picture, but still, is it legal to make a t-shirt like that?

Yes, it is legal as long as you have permission from the producer or distributor depending on the circumstance (like them being one and the same, takes some research to find out exactly at times.) I have only made t-shirts due to absolute lack of any merchandise to be had (PC games I have played, online MUD's without merchandise, and some anime where sadly nothing to little is produced even in Japan, much less the American market.

Some of them I have contacted over the years send back interesting replies. Most of them say:

"Oh, you want to make a fan shirt or two? Go ahead, just don't make a retail offering out of it."

Some replies demand a small fee, like an online MUD I played for years. Interestingly enough, after paying two bucks a t-shirt to them for years (for their logo) they asked me to make some graphic art for their site. In exchange I got to make a few for free. The only shirts they ever made were at their conventions, of which I own most (quality left something to be desired--I didn't say that....) On the downside all of their staff wanted t-shirts of their IG characters, but I didn't mind...

Sadly you also get two other kind of responses: "Don't even think about it!" or the silent treatment. They won't offer anything retail for you to buy, but won't allow you to express yourself artistically either. I have even sent graphics to the company so they could review them for visual content and gotten "no's!" and "no answer."

Sooo...just depends. I respect their wishes and do as they say-it's their right after all. My right to at least draw is protected by the First Amendment so long as it is for myself, so I sometimes just appreciate the material in that way (fanart). I will never understand why some companies won't allow it when they themselves won't make anything, even when I am offering to let them review and approve, pay whatever fee, and promote (by wearing the shirt) their product(s).

Go figure

quote:
Originally posted by Mirk:
Yes, it is legal as long as you have permission from the producer or distributor depending on the circumstance (like them being one and the same, takes some research to find out exactly at times.) I have only made t-shirts due to [b]absolute lack of any merchandise to be had (PC games I have played, online MUD's without merchandise, and some anime where sadly nothing to little is produced even in Japan, much less the American market.

Some of them I have contacted over the years send back interesting replies. Most of them say:

"Oh, you want to make a fan shirt or two? Go ahead, just don't make a retail offering out of it."

Some replies demand a small fee, like an online MUD I played for years. Interestingly enough, after paying two bucks a t-shirt to them for years (for their logo) they asked me to make some graphic art for their site. In exchange I got to make a few for free. The only shirts they ever made were at their conventions, of which I own most (quality left something to be desired--I didn't say that....) On the downside all of their staff wanted t-shirts of their IG characters, but I didn't mind...

Sadly you also get two other kind of responses: "Don't even think about it!" or the silent treatment. They won't offer anything retail for you to buy, but won't allow you to express yourself artistically either. I have even sent graphics to the company so they could review them for visual content and gotten "no's!" and "no answer."

Sooo...just depends. I respect their wishes and do as they say-it's their right after all. My right to at least draw is protected by the First Amendment so long as it is for myself, so I sometimes just appreciate the material in that way (fanart). I will never understand why some companies won't allow it when they themselves won't make anything, even when I am offering to let them review and approve, pay whatever fee, and promote (by wearing the shirt) their product(s).

Go figure [/b]

Thankyou for explaining to me about how it works with copying pictures onto T-Shirts, etc. I am do agree with you on all points, it is good to have the artistic idea and it is, to be perfectly honest, very silly why quite a number of companies will not let you do so but alas, that is the world that we live in. But still, thankyou for telling me about that. Your information has been helpful.

hey, i know it has benn done. Personally, i’d like one big new sheet for my bed. With Crescendo’s Kaho or Kyoko.

Ah, my glorious return from the Mojave desert greets me with a topic like this. Very nice.

I probably would at some point, but I am about 5 years behind on my anime and manga purchases, but with my recent tax return I took a break and bought some Japanese study materials, and if shirts came out, I may get one if it caught my eye.

Welcome back Billybob!

I like the idea of bishoujo shirts. I usually go for more simple shirt designs, most anime shirts I see are way too flashy or just a cut out of a character on a white background, and I don’t like the look of most of them. I would definitley wear something like a plain black shirt with just the Kana logo on the left breast. http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/3097/kanalogo4yi.gif

Thanks for the feedback. It’s very helpful. Offhand, I’m not sure how good game graphics themselves would look, in general it’s too low res for large reproduction. Most designs would probably be based on game packages.

Do you like reproductions on the front, or the back?

Ksim3000, I would consider a self-made T-shirt using our game art a “doujin” product, which is fine with us. Go nuts, and it looks good, send us a picture :slight_smile:

On the front. I never really understood why people wanted stuff on the back, but it seems fairly common …

Well, for those of us with breasts which stick out, sometimes a picture is better displayed on the flatter side. Also, I often wear an overshirt, so my tshirt under that sometimes has a small logo on the breastpocket area on the front and is otherwise plain - and if I’m wearing an extra layer you see nothing else, but then if I’m comfortable and more layers come off, the secret back picture is revealed!

Not that I care really, I’m just explaining why sometimes it’s nice to have small-logo front, picture-back.

quote:
Do you like reproductions on the front, or the back?

Front. Logo with art or smaller graphic on back.

quote:
Ksim3000, I would consider a self-made T-shirt using our game art a "doujin" product, which is fine with us. Go nuts, and it looks good, send us a picture ^_^

What about myself Mr. Payne? I would like to back some bishoujo gaming shirts. Would even send you the design to say yes or no to. Agreed?

Mirk, I think he meant that as a general comment. He specifically said:

quote:
I would consider a self-made T-shirt using our game art a “doujin” product, which is fine with us

I’m certianly positive tot he idea of T-shorts!! Wheenver the images are on the back or front, however… Doesn’t matter much, both would do for me. Thinking about it, on the back would perhaps be better for several reasons…

NICE IDEA! Hope its Great artwork… then i will wear it in publick haha!

Thanks for the feedback. We’ve got a lot of shirts in our “shirt cache” so it’ll be a while, but we’ll get something out one of these months.

Not to be disagreeable, but the quote only gave one person permission, not the general public. You omitted the first part of it.

Now, if Mr. Payne says “Hey, anyone that is a fan of our games feel free to make fan-made shirts for yourself” I am all for it. Legally speaking until he gives me permission, or “blanket” permission to all, I must consider that statement only pertaining to that individual and none other.

Assuming anything else could lead to trouble and I’m not about to do that.

He spoke to one person, yes, but the sentence was clearly about those T-shirts in general.

Well… to clear that up I just tried to email him, but to no avail.

::shrug::

[This message has been edited by Mirk (edited 03-09-2006).]

Sorry I didn’t check the thread. I would generally consider any self-made object, be it a T-shirt or a coffee cup or whatever, to be “doujin” and perfectly okay as long as it wasn’t done for profit or caused harm to the bishoujo game market. So that goes for everyone :slight_smile:

A sheet! A brand new sheet with Kaho on! Yay!!!

quote:
Sorry I didn't check the thread. I would generally consider any self-made object, be it a T-shirt or a coffee cup or whatever, to be "doujin" and perfectly okay as long as it wasn't done for profit or caused harm to the bishoujo game market. So that goes for everyone ^_^

Thanks for the clarification. Do you wish to see the end result or set up (drawings\\graphics) to make sure you approve?