Boot Camp, Vista, Problems...

Ok, here’s the deal. I’ve been away for a very long time from these boards. This is mostly due to the fact that I have a Mac. However, I just upgraded to Leopard and installed a Japanese copy of Vista Home Premium. However, even that I now have my computer running a Japanese copy of Vista with all the local settings in Vista switched to Japanese I still can’t play my Japanese games. The install window pops up with lots of gibberish characters and the game can’t read or locate files because Vista isn’t properly handling the Japanese characters. Is this due to the fact that I have Leopard set to English? Do I need to change everything on my computer to Japanese? Am I missing something? My Japanese isn’t too bad, but it isn’t great either so I’m wondering if I’m missing a simple problem where I’m just not understanding the kanji.

FYI, when I first installed Vista I switched the settings to a Japanese install, (the only option available,) and the keyboard/interface to English. However, even after I completed the install everything showed up in Japanese except for my Boot Camp assisstant which showed up totally in English. I then switched every setting in Windows I could find over to Japanese, but still no joy.

Any ideas? Please. I bought Vista just so I could play and if I can’t figure out how to make this work I’m going to be really depressed. If no one can help can anyone point me to a place where I might be able to get help?

Hmmm… my knowledge about MAC systems is kinda low. They can run Windows OS now? I always remembered them not being compatible… my how things change…

Anyways, there are few questions I need to ask:

#1: How is VISTA installed? Is your system in dual boot or is it in a virtual environment?

#2: Is it a 32bit or 64bit install of VISTA?

#3: Have you applied the various Multilingual User Interface (MUI) patches that MS has released?

#4: Do you have access to a Japanese native keyboard?

On a side note, technically speaking, only Windows Vista Ultimate and Enterprise editions support multilingual modes. Other versions can be “forced” to work with multiple languages, but MS doesn’t kosher it. :frowning:

I’m not too familiar with this setup either having never owned a mac. However, as Narg suggested it’s important to make sure of which version of Vista you’ve installed.

The 64-bit version is NOT the version of Vista you want to install! It’s less compatible with games, so you will want to use the 32-bit version.

If you are seeing Japanese characters come up as jibberish in the Japanese version of Windows, then something is very wrong. You shouldn’t have to mess with MUIs at all… Anyways in the english version, the major setting you have to change is this one:

-

Sorry, that’s hosted on imageshack since I don’t have a webserver to host it on.

Edit: You get here by going to your control panel and opening Regional and Language Settings (the Globe with the clock in front of it).

This needs to be changed to Japanese to run programs natively. You can only do this if you’ve installed the Japanese language support pack from windows update.

[ 01-07-2008, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Raigan ]

Heh… all this talk of 32bit and 64bit VISTA is reminding me of the OS-tans for them. :stuck_out_tongue: