Bought some h games - any suggestions

The US market is what we were referring to as small. And you are right; there are hundreds of Japanese games. Dozens come out every month. We get maybe 1? No, that’s probably an understatement. Given all the game makers there are probably close to 100 or so in a month.

As for why most of them are ADV … there are a number of reasons for that. Well, there really is one reason, but it’s governed by a number of factors.

Essentially it boils down to “ADVs are the simplest”. You can tell the kind of story you want to in an ADV, and they’re much easier to make than a SIM or an RPG of some sort.

Compounding this is the same issues that affect US localized ports. The b-game companies are subject to very very cutthroat competition. They are also all very small. Most of them aren’t in very strong financial condition. Putting out, say, an RPG is a big investment because it is comparatively more complicated than an ADV game. If this investment takes too many resources the company may never complete it and go under. Or if it does come out, it may not sell well enough to save the company.

Look up why Infocom collapsed and you will find essentially the same story. They were coming out with a completely new kind of product and it was a long involved mess to create. This caused the firm to lose profitability and they went under.

Yeah, I indeed meant the English bishoujo game industry. The Japanese bishoujo game industry is huge.

Interactivity? Look no further than Brave Soul. I still haven’t finished that one 100%. And I bought it months ago. Then again, I don’t play it every day, but often enough.
Also, Gun Shield Warrior SAKIGAKE is a strategy/RPG, which will also have its fair dose of interactivity.

I didn’t think Gunshield was actually a strategy/RPG game…

Not sure if it is or is not, part of the description of the game given on another part of Peach Princess’s site mentions Combining advanced mecha combat against the terrible invaders known as the Seekers with a great (…)bishoujo story that you control. Now even if they mean the mecha combat is under our control rather then just the story, and the mecha combat might be from some of the pictures seen, that still might not make it an RPG. I think it is more story with mecha combat we control rather then an RPG like Brave Soul though that is just a guess at this point.

I say strategy/RPG because it seems to have strategy elements, and with the character dialogs during combat, and the ADV thingies, you could say it’s also an RPG.

quote:
Originally posted by Keido to Ido:
As for Eve B.E. and Dividead i just said i really want to get them, but I've heard mostly bad things about Adam. Do you think it's really that good?

It definitely is, at least if your focus is on the story and not the sex.
Adam is just terribly disappointing after Eve Burst Error and tries to make up for it with sex instead. One of its worst points is of course that it ends in a cliff hanger and the final episode will never be localized.

Perhaps Adam and TFA together might be again as good as Eve Burst Error. But TFA is somewhere atthge other end of my backlog, so I can't tell now for sure. Even if I finally turn my focus again to the Eve-series, I'd probably have to play Eve Zero and The lost one as well as replay Eve Burst Error and Adam before I finally try The fatal attraction.

quote:
Originally posted by NeMiSiS:
Hentai Neko!?!? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/eek.gif[/img]

Any game or animation that features reasonable amount of female power will score a good review regardless of acutal gameplay. It's a bad mistake to choose games based on Neko reviews unless you share the same interest in "female power" as the web mistress. Scroll through some of the hentai anime reviews and you'll see what I mean.

Well, the thing is, she doesn't write all of the reviews on her website. So, even if you feel that she has such a bias in the reviews she personally writes, you can't discount all the reviews there because of it. In my opinion, you should probably look at multiple sites for reviews anyways, so that you get a couple of opinions to make your decision on when looking for which titles to purchase.

[Referring to Unicorn’s post] I agree with a lot of what Unicorn said. Eve: burst error, even with all the hentai edited out, was still an engrossing story, and I enjoyed it immensely. Even though there’s only one true ending, I’ve gone back and played it a couple of times just for the story. Adam: the double factor, on the other hand, was a big disappointment. Aside from the fact that the English version seemed like a rush job–as if they wanted to get it done before they shut down the American branch of Himeya Soft–they story itself was sadly lacking compared to Eve. They didn’t take the time with it (shoot, it’s even on two disks, compared to Eve’s three), and then they end it with a scene that sets up the next story which, unfortunately, will never be translated into English. Sucks for me… guess I have to finish learning Japanese…

Well if you played through eve burst error and still want the h-scenes you can get the rereleased dvd version in Japan Welcome to the forum, and don’t mind all the wackos here Looks like you got a pretty good mix of goodies to play through, let us know what you think of them, maybe we can then give you more titles to collect

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
Well, the thing is, she doesn't write all of the reviews on her website. So, even if you feel that she has such a bias in the reviews she personally writes, you can't discount all the reviews there because of it. In my opinion, you should probably look at multiple sites for reviews anyways, so that you get a couple of opinions to make your decision on when looking for which titles to purchase.

Yea, I was refering to the reviews written by the webmistress, not all that were posted on the website. Sorry for the confusion. Anyway, I don't think there's anyone else contributing to the hanime/ bishoujo game reviews these days. Reviews by contributors are all pretty dated.

I personally loved Dividead. I guess its just personal taste. I LOVE really dark gothic type anime and games that screw with your head. Thats probally why Berserk and Evangelion are my two favorite series .

Is there a game Evangelion released in English? Aside from the anime and manga reference it sounds familiar but I cannot place a game with that title.

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
Is there a game Evangelion released in English?

Well, there are two games with Evangelion-like characters that I can think up right now:

• Season of the sakura
  • JAST's Bishoujo-strippoker

But if I understood correctly, Laslow just talked about anime/manga and not games here.

[This message has been edited by Unicorn (edited 07-14-2004).]

Ah okay, thank you, when he said “anime and games” I thought there might be some games too that had been translated over.

Yea sady no Evangelion games have made it stateside. Its a shame considering how many of them there have been. Evangelion has been Gainax’s cash cow which they have milked almost dry.

From what I understand the anime and the manga have done very well stateside, or is that not true and is that one of many possible factors that could have lead them to so far not release a game stateside?

If the anime and manga have done well stateside, not to mention if the games from what is considered or self called “one of the most controversial anime and manga series ever” have done well in Japan, is it just that Gainax does not seem to feel safe in the stateside market, hence also the reason for no Princess Maker games being released for which they were long ago at one time going to bring over the second one I think?

Still though, at least with their cash cows they might have a new market to sell them in and keep those cows giving milk for a lot longer then if they never try right? Sorry another vain hope to have companies do something they might not want to, but if they read these boards maybe they will see a general interest and look to see if there is actually enough otherwise too to bring the games over finally.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 07-14-2004).]

I don’t know I’ve heard that Gianax can be an extreme pain to deal with. So it might be difficult to bring the eva games over. I’d love to get a localized version of them.

That’s really not a good thing for a company to be, a pain to deal with, yeah they are making money they but if something is successful in one or two formats it seems to me less of a risk to try a third, but anyway how man Eva games are there out of general interest?

I can think of 5 off the top of my head. Most of em are dating sims too.

Which would actually seem to fit right in with what is proven to be successful even on a small scale with somewhat unknown plots, versus something that is known to be very popular amongst many people and which is “easily,” as compared to RPG’s and other types of games previously mentioned by others, brought over.

It’s probably been said before, but games such as these, from a anime, manga or both that is already very popular, might actually help this stateside industry. Just think if Peach Princess could announce having a game tied to one of the major anime/manga series out there, such news would bring lots of attention, hopefully all good attention to this industry, Peach Princess and the other games already on the market, which would be a boon and hopefully stop other companies from pulling out as a few have done very recently, Hobibox Europe comes to mind. Oh well it’s a hope for the future or a wistful dream since I know a lot of this involves the willingness of the original Japanese production company and is out of Peach Princess’s, G-Collection’s and, whoever is bring games over these days, hands.

I assume others that could fall into such a category of already being popular and a boon to the industry might include the game verisons of Comic Party and To Heart which might not yet be translated into English in anime form but seems to have enough intrest already known about it go get the anime across in translated format before the manga even finishes.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 07-14-2004).]