Bought some h games - any suggestions

quote:
Originally posted by Laslow:
Most of em are dating sims too.

[img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/confused.gif[/img]
I actually only recall some raising-SIMs in this matter...

Please forgive my possible ignorance but is a “raising-Sim” example Princess Maker?

So the Eva games are not dating-sims either? Those and the others mentioned are all raising sims too?

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 07-15-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
Please forgive my possible ignorance but is a "raising-Sim" example Princess Maker?

That's right. Princess Maker is a striking example for a raising SIM (and coincidentally, it was also made by GAINAX).

quote:
So the Eva games are not dating-sims either? Those and the others mentioned are all raising sims too?

I can't tell that for sure because I honestly don't know which games Laslow had in mind.
But the games I know of usually are raising SIMs where you adopt either Asuka or Rei or both of them.
Another type of game that at least offers some nudity is a strip-mahjonng. Such games exists for sure, but these games usually offer no great storyline. Also, Mahjonng is not very popular here, so chances for these games getting localized are also pretty low.

So far, I don't know of Angel-Combat-SIMs and even less of sexual training SIMs with the EVA-girls or -women. Somehow, I don't think that GAINAX would deal with the EVA-characters this way because it would be entirely OOC.

And if dating SIMs (like CRC) with the EVA-characters exist in GAINAX's software catalog,then I don't know about them. But that's actually quite probable because it is not for VERY long that I even take a look at japanese games. So, they may have eluded me...

[This message has been edited by Unicorn (edited 07-15-2004).]

After realizing the ages involved I started thinking more of perhaps minor, less involved in translating and such RPG’s for their game format.

Still with characters that popular I would think the raising Sims would do fairly well, or is that not the thought of anyone else? Yes but are these things not popular because they were never given a chance and therefore are now assumed to be not popular or because they tried with a tie-in to something else that was popular and it also flopped?

If they just tried say Mahjonng on it’s own, okay maybe it would flop, but tie-in it to something else popular and it might succeed. It’s a risk but less of one if you ride the coattails of something already popular.

Remember there is a demand for Princess Maker at least amongst us for those that would buy the game and there would seem to be a huge demand for a game involving characters people already like in anime, manga, figurines and whatever other format they exist in, which might also be able to be sold more “in the open”. So a game with such beloved characters in it would seem to be something almost assured of doing well and might even open the door for a new branch of games, which might in turn bring future players of the currently existing genre or is this too wistful dreaming?

Once more please forgive my ignorance by OOC?

quote:
Still with characters that popular I would think the raising Sims would do fairly well, or is that not the thought of anyone else?

You are right. That's why EVA is called the ever-milkable cashcow of GAINAX: They made quite a lot of merchandise and the games are part of it.
Because EVANGELION has a high popularity even outside of Japan, it would have a good chance. Or at least, I think that just as you do.
But convincing GAINAX that such a venture would really pay off is the tricky thing. And GAINAX may be still angry about the failed attempt to localize Princess Maker 2 and thus simply ignore any pleads.

I am still not fully sure what lead to the failed localization, I have read various things, but it seems to be a chicken and the egg cycle, excuse, of blaming piracy, which would have always been there true and obviously, if they had actually released the game, who knows it might actually not have been as spread out as it was when the game was “new” if they had brought it out. So did the piracy increase to the level it is now because the game was not brought out or would it have been as great as it is now for Princess Maker 2 at this time had they brought it out, either way it makes the piracy slightly moot since it could exist to the same level with or without the game having been officially released.

All said though while a sad statement about piracy it is a moot argument as no one can say for sure if the piracy would have been as great or not, but I still wonder on which end the failed localization can truly be held, by definition it would seem this end, but I wonder nonetheless if they are not also to blame despite what all the press releases and such I have read say on this issue.

If they blame this end, perhaps if GAINAX can be shown that other companies will not fail them, through showing a company with an established track record, and one of even bringing games over of companies that pull out, such as Peach Princess has done with the two games they are now bringing out LMM from Sweet Basil and Sakigake from Hobibox maybe they would change their tune, but there is still getting them to listen, and hoping that is the only true reason they are mad, the localization. If I remember the time they tried to bring over Princess Maker 2 no one was around long enough to truly be established in such a market, no true tested track records, which can now be shown to exist.

If they fear getting tied to the “negative” views these games hold maybe whoever they deal with can set up a dummy company to ease their minds, no ties to these types of games with the wrongful negative reputation or something.

I wonder if GAINAX would actually go for such an idea if pressured enough and shown that something popular can lead to excellent sales of other items linked to the popular item especially within this market and the right company with established track record selling the item.

OOC = Out Of Character. For instance, someone writes a fanfic where Asuka and Rei and Misato are all closet lesbians. (I’m sure SOMEbody wrote this somewhere.)

Ah okay, thanks for the definition.

What are the thoughts on the chances though of these coming over, maybe with some showing of proven track record at selling similar games?

Personally, I’d be happy to see any raising sim… princess maker or otherwise … that’s just me though. Heck, I’d be willing to shell out big bucks for a raising sim… I’m one of the freaks who bought CRC when it was at the 80 dollar price… so money aside, I’d do almost anything to see more of them come over … again, that’s just me.

I am glad to see there are a few others that would like such dating sims to come stateside.

If they bring any over I would not complain about which, but there is still this desire to see the latest Princess Maker be among the “first” to come over, though more practical might be one they can tie into something else already popular.

One Eva Dating sim would be the aply titled Evangelion: Steel Girlfriend. The main character isn’t a character from the anime but attends the same school.

Still a tie-in can be made, though you don’t think they would have fears of Steel Girlfriend being linked to another anime with Steel Angel in the title or at least use that as an excuse?