Can someone help me define 'Doujinshi'

Is Doujinshi an amateur publication, or is it the amateur effort of drawing someone else’s creation for your own publication?

For instance, can I say, ‘The cleric from Brave Soul is a Doujinshi of Rei Ayanami?’

my best translation of a doujinshi (which is a book) would be "indie books"

amateur? hell no! even pros make doujinshis…so are they amateur?

so to answer bok’s question, it’s a publication not an ‘effort’

Doujinshi is fan art. This includes anime and manga but a lot of times it’s refered to hentai manga. The only doujinshi manga I’ve ever had is the ones in the memorial book of the Magic Knight Rayearth manga box set. Ummm… I’m not sure what you mean by the cleric from Brave Soul being doujinshi of Rei Ayanami but there’s this Rei Ayanami doujinshi book (not really manga but still has words describing what’s happening and is in a series of pages) that looks very similar to the art of Brave Soul

I think doujinshi is broader than just “fan art” (“fan” used loosely here), though it’s certainly what the Western audience is most familiar with. Doujinshi also includes original works, not simply parodies of existing material. Doujinshi isn’t limited to books as well–there are a few anime works as well, though they’re exceedingly rare. The most (in)famous of them all would be the Evangelion parody H-anime, which technically can qualify as a doujinshi work.

Try watching (or playing) Comic Party if you can, which gives a fair amount of background on the doujinshi industry.

Ok, lemme clarify by what I mean. I’ve heard people using Doujinshi as a noun synonymous to the English word ‘Parody,’ but I know Doujinshi to mean ‘Magazine produced by fellows’ so it’s literally a bound publication. So, can you actually say

quote:
'The character from Brave Soul is a Doujinshi of Rei Ayanami’

as if you were saying
quote:
‘The character from Brave Soul is a parody of Rei Ayanami?’

No… I don’t think that makes sense at all. Doujinshi is a bit more broad than just bound publication, becuase there’s doujin soft, etc. However, I’ve never seen it used as a stand in for the english term parody.

I may be wrong, but I’ve never come across the word used like that.

no I haven’t heard it being used that way either, bokmeow. I think you will sound like jerk too if you say that and wouldn’t make sense anyways

just use “parody”

quote:
Originally posted by Lamuness:
my best translation of a doujinshi (which is a book) would be "indie books"

amateur? hell no! even pros make doujinshis...so are they amateur?

so to answer bok's question, it's a publication not an 'effort'

That's a great translation and nearly what I used in one of my own post in reply to a reader question. I would say a slightly better translation would be "indie publication".

Made in DNA

quote:
no I haven't heard it being used that way either, bokmeow. I think you will sound like jerk too if you say that and wouldn't make sense anyways

just use "parody"

"parody" or "homage".

Made in DNA

quote:
Originally posted by Made in DNA:
"parody" or "homage".

Made in DNA

"Homage" would probably work better from a connotation standpoint. Except you'd probably have to explain what that means to some people. (Don't laugh, you'd be surprised how often I have to explain what a word means at work...)

As Made-in-DNA and Ekylo suggested, “Homage” would be a great way to describe it. Too many people think ‘parody’ is only a joking or satirical look at a genre, artform, actor, or whatnot.

But… you might have to define ‘homage’, as a goodly number of people have really never used/heard the word.

Mike

Thank you gentlemen…{slipping them a promised fiver and whispers] Don’t spend it all in one place winkwinkwink

Doujinshi is one way for otherwise unknown artist to get their talent recognized.

The average doujinshi fair attentand will not look for original characters. As such, using already known characters as your material increases the chances of getting your work noticed.

quote:
Originally posted by Quasi Dogma:
Doujinshi is one way for otherwise unknown artist to get their talent recognized.

Not always true. Many well known artist publish under pseudonyms, and have friends sell their products. Which is why you look at some doujinshi and think to yourself, [i]Dang, that looks like SO-SO's work. I wonder if he knows!?[/i] This caught me recently and in fact caught Tomo, one of the great manga masters here at J-List, too.

But most people are independents, and most will stay that way.

Made in DNA

quote:
Originally posted by Made in DNA:
Not always true. Many well known artist publish under pseudonyms, and have friends sell their products. Which is why you look at some doujinshi and think to yourself, Dang, that looks like SO-SO's work. I wonder if he knows!? This caught me recently and in fact caught Tomo, one of the great manga masters here at J-List, too.

But most people are independents, and most will stay that way.

Made in DNA

.....Tomo is WHAT?!

quote:
.....Tomo is WHAT?!

Not in charge of manga, but well-read. He and I found we have very, very similar tastes in artists and authors. And we have introduced each other to some different work as well.