Can the Peter Payne empire take all these price reductio

I read the latest Peach Princess newsletter, and aside from the expected announcement of Lightning Warrior Raidy, it also announced a price drop of several popular titles.

This is the third or maybe even fourth time that they’ve dropped prices on several games. Doesn’t that eventually make Peach Princess lose money? Most of the games that get a price reduction are years old, but some are recent enough that it makes me raise my eye brows.

Thoughts?

J-List is a deputy service for hard-to-get Japanese goods, the translation of erogames is merely a side business for them, therefore I do not see nothing unusual. Besides, Payne-sama himself said that downloadable -not physical- erogames were a great success, I suppose that any price reduction is somehow balanced…
My knowledge of Economics sucks, however :stuck_out_tongue: .

Well some of the price drops are for titles that have yet to receive a drop the last time around - a few months ago, that is.

This includes Tsuki and The Sagara Family.

I have to say it’s a bit disheartening for me to see the Angel Smile titles have two price drops though.

These are the price drops:

Doushin: Same Heart CDRom Game (Windows) Adult
Little My Maid CDRom Game (Windows) Adult
Tokimeki Check-in! CDRom Game (Windows) Adult
Milky House Memorial Game Set CDRom (Windows) Adult
JAST USA Memorial Collection Game Set CDRom (Windows) Adult
Figures of Happiness CDROM Game (Windows) Adult
Sagara Family, The CDROM Game (Windows) Adult
Jewel Knights: Crusaders CDROM Game (Windows) Adult
Heart de Roommate CDRom Game (Windows) Adult
Do You Like Horny Bunnies? CDRom Game (Windows) Adult
Tsuki: Possession CDRom Game (Windows) Adult

Also, games really really should drop in price over time anyways.

If you sell 50% more units by a 10% drop in price, you come out ahead. And when you’re in a business with a small market like this, then it’s doubly important to get more paying customers. More customers = larger market = rising tide raises all boats.

Reducing prices on the back catalogue is a good idea for the same reason stores do sales – sure, you don’t make as much on the sale price as you would have. That isn’t really the point.

It does make sense economically, lowering the price should net a fairly good amount of new sales. Plus some of those games are getting a little old and probably should be getting price reductions anyway.

Edited by Mystvan

[ 06-18-2007, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Myst-Vearn (Mystvan) ]

Interestingly enough I usually buy all games in bulk in order to take advantage on the savings.

I’ve made two orders of 4 games a piece taking advantage of the price reductions over the past year. If more of the CD titles were available as downloadable versions, I would be buying.

Additionally, I buy the download version of the games so that the following four points are true:

1. I have the title up and working within 48 hours ( far better than using overseas mail ).

2. I don’t have to worry about disks.

3. If I find out the censorship bureau is gunning for me, a quick hit with a pick-axe will kill the evidence ( I am not joking here ).

4. Downloadable games are much simpler to hide from the wife and kids ( imagine explaining that one to the wife after one of the kids asks “mummy, whats the alien doing to that lady with it’s tentacles?” ).

Interestingly enough, the last time I saw a sensible talk about sales was from stardock corporation; the simple fact was that it was the download version that was selling the most units, and making the most profit in the case of galactic civilizations 2. Boxed only product is gradually going to fade away in the future, in my opinion, but never really vanish.

My thoughts are that Peter Payne is on the right track. Now, if only the v-mate system/site were working, I could actually play some of those games right now ( minor domain problem at the moment ).

In my opinion, if one has to hide it from his wife, he has a problem. You don’t hide things in a marriage.

[ 05-20-2007, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Benoit ]

CAUTION, Benoit :wink: , do you know?

i generally dont ban someone on the basis of statement of values (although baldo is correct in that you should not push yourself on personal affairs)…but i will ban someone if they go agressive and blunt and act like a total fucktard and in my opinion cause a negative impact to the well-being and integrity of this bbs community

and wow, this is the first time i have seen a grammar mistake from benoit… oh the irony (and rarity) :stuck_out_tongue:

anyhow, moving on

Yes, there was a grammar problem. I guess I forgot to edit that part when I was changing the sentence in my edit. Originally what I said was more direct. I did try to be careful with what I wanted to say.

Are you sure about this? Did you really believe that “boxed only product is gradually going to fade away in the future”? :slight_smile:

Yes, I understand you because I know how you feel about this. My old college friends and acquaintances don’t like animes, games, B-games, etc. :frowning:

And I guess people think animes and mangas are childish, B-games are for “hentai” and weird people, etc. In other words, our friends, parents, brothers, sisters, relatives, acquaintances could misunderstand us, ne? Sigh That’s life… We can’t do anything… :confused:

[ 05-21-2007, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Mystvan ]

Edited by Mystvan

[ 06-18-2007, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Myst-Vearn (Mystvan) ]

chuckles well I was simply using the wife and kids aspect as an example, sorry for not making that clear Benoit.

In reality I’m the usual guy working away in IT, getting the games via download because he can’t afford to rent a flat, and lives at his parents place helping them pay the mortgage and providing copious amounts of Audio/Visual equipment for them to use. I hardly live at home actually, only there for about 11 hours of the day, including sleeping for 5 1/2 of them. Take out a couple of hours for eating and catching up with things, and thats about 3 to 4 hours to play games, or draw ( until mid-night ).

From Mystvan:

I am very much in that boat. I started buying large quantities of B-Games for the purposes of examination and dissection, so that I’d have a better idea of what to do when making my own. Only problem is that with a lot of them ( even the quite interestingly plotted chain ) it’s not exactly the sort of thing you’d want mother to know you have.

For those interested I also part-own the company doing this: Doujin Overload 2007. I am very much the Otaku.

Downloads have another benefit, since if you ever did wipe them (or lose them in a hard drive crash) you can re-download them again. The download counter is set to ‘5’ at default but can be reset manually by us if there’s a need.

I think that every man has some folder on his computer that his wife might not know about, or so he thinks – women know us a lot better than we know them. SD cards are pretty handy too… It’s just one of those things.

LOL. So true, for both points.

I think you’re right about reduction, but just based on the notice of an expansion for one of the games i play being only downloadable and the outcries of even those who will buy it, let alone those who won’t (because of speed of connection, they don’t have internet on that pc, prefer an actual box, etc). It’s not going away anytime soon. Even today in the US, ~50% of households still use dialup connection (mostly because the movie industry has been fighting to stop those fiberoptic wires from being connected to your house/apartment).

As for me, if i get my way, i will have a sepate computer, older one, solely dedicated for going online and another one that never connects to the internet or even has a direct connection to the other computer. I wouldn’t be using it to play games (except maybe WoW since i can for free), and watch stuff off the net. Any patches or games i’d be transfering over and i’d rather not have to do that.

Edited by Mystvan

[ 06-18-2007, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Myst-Vearn (Mystvan) ]

I’m very relieved about “the download counter is set to ‘5’ at default but can be reset manually by us if there’s a need”. Thanks for your reply.

Edited by Mystvan

[ 06-18-2007, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Myst-Vearn (Mystvan) ]