Cartoons are people too?

Better not draw pictures of violent things happening to them, then. Oh wait!

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24 … 77,00.html

(Not that it will surprise anyone familiar with the area that everything is illegal in NSW.)

That’s really stupid…

But to make you feel better, last week on radio I heard that someone (japanese of course) is making a petition so it would be legal to marry… a 2D woman.
If he succeed to make this beautifull dream come true, I’ll marry Aeka. :lol:

Dear oh, dear… I see what you mean… That’s a VERY dangerous ruling! :shock:

The interpretation of that upheld ruling makes the fight for anti-lolicon and guro-vore material more winnable for the conservatives who want to ban it. If a fictional character has rights of protection against crimes committed on them, it opens a whole door of trouble.

Maybe, but banning a game with people in it is clearly unlawful discrimination (because these ARE real people, naturally) - hell, it might even be considered some form of genocide.

I just can’t wrap my head around how stupid the whole thing is. If I draw a cartoon murdering another cartoon, am I eligible for murder?

Good Lord… what if I play a game where you can kill political figures? Do you lock me away for treason and government assassination?

I pray they never see what I do to SIMS when I feel particularly evil… :?

What if you throw away an old comic book or something? The possibilities are endless!

Throwing would be okay, but think about burning it! :o
Suddenly games where you kill someone (and there are A LOT of them) become illegal in Australia…

Yeah, australia’s anime market is going to be severely curtailed by this. Negima, for example, could theoretically get you in trouble. Hell, there are some racy parts of the Evangelion manga (where Asuka comes on real strong to Kaji) that would arguably be verboten. Thankfully for the civilized rest of the world, thoughtcrimes like this are not illegal in very many places.

Scary. I’m glad I don’t live in Australia. People are way too quick to shout “pedo!” nowadays. What next, banning Totoro because of the family bath scene? (Unfortunately, I’m being totally serious. :frowning: )

hmm i live in Australia…

…Should i hide my ‘Junjou Romantica’ then?
Misaki starts as 17…and gets felt up by Usami before he turns 18…
Usami being 28…

And this means i’d best hide my ‘High school girls’ Manga…
the series only spans the girls first year of high school…and thats really sexual…

…i wonder if ‘AishiteruZe baby’ counts as Pedo stuff also…

i guess i’m glad i never ordered anything related to Boku No Pico then…

Episode 1: roughly a 7-12 year old and an 18 year old
Episode 2: roughly 2 7-12 year olds
Episode 3: Roughly 2 7-12 year olds and 1 15-18 year old

This shouldn’t be suprising to anyone who knows about the Austrailian government’s treatment of video games. Even the US courts aren’t fucked up enough to consider cartoons characters as equal to real-life humans without there being anything to suggest that the cartoon itself was a doctored version of the real thing.

All it will take is for this ruling to start being applied to more mainstream items like video games, satire and such before it gets overturned.

No, I think the game industry gets enough bad press that they usually self-censor (like Fallout 3 not allowing you to kill children). Games get criticized enough for having anything controversial.

Well to some extent, they are.

However, i am sure this will be applied to someone who tries to do a legit parody of something and the companies will use “rights of cartoons individuals” to say you can’t parody them.