Chain?

The game Chain looks interesting, but I’ve heard in the past that there’s no actual gameplay and that it’s simply a digital novel (like, to the point where you don’t make any choices whatsoever.) Is this true, or is there indeed more to it than that?

not a digital novel. you make many choices in the game.

Not true. None of the choices affect anything. You can’t even get a bad ending, I think. It is very much a digital novel.

In the case of Chain, there isn’t really anything wrong with that, because it’s a pretty good novel.

Agreed… The choices that you make don’t do anything except toss a different set of text at you for the next text block, as far as I’ve seen. But it is one of the most engrosing story lines that I’ve ever played through, and I’ve actually played through it several times, simply for the enjoyment of following the story ‘just one more time’…

One of the best games out on the market story wise I think.

True - if you’re looking for command choices that determine the outcome of the game (like in Tokimeki Check In!,) you won’t find that in Chain. What you get is a series of possible alternatives that you pick within each scene, but the scene doesn’t progress until you’ve picked them all. So it is in fact an interactive novel.

Do not let that stop you from buying it though. Of all the Bishoujo games I’ve played so far, Chain is hands-down the best - the most engaging storyline, the best characterization, the best style, the best mood, the most compelling. It could have benefited from the complexity that full-blown puzzle interactivity would have provided, but you will not, repeat, not, be disappointed in the slightest.

[This message has been edited by ZaphodB.Goode (edited 01-02-2005).]