Cherrysoft & Cronus no more?

I would not have a problem sending my acutal games to people if they let me borrow their games first, but how many people are going to do that? You said that you have Cronus games, but would you really let me borrow your original discs? Well, you are Peapri admin so I’m not really worried that you’d steal my games. If you want to trade with me, I can send my original discs to you. That would be cool. For Cronus games, I only have Inukko Puni Puni. But I a few other Japanese bishoujo games. I have Utawareru Mono on DVD, Ui-chan no Nizuma Diary, Lost Passage, and I have a preorder for Duel Savior which will release on Oct 1. Do you have all these games? Do you want to borrow some from me?

i have a stock pile of games i haven’t even played myself and i don’t think i will have time to play any of them in the near future. if i can’t even play my own games, i certainly wouldn’t have time to play anybody else’s games. therefore i’ll pass; and unfortunately that’s the life of a japanese doujinshi artist. i just got 2 games from a friend and i am afraid those games will have to sit there and collect dust for another year or so…

while driving back home i gave your posts some thought, and i will give you this analogy in response to but do you really expect me to not let the people I know play my games? and I surely would have never bought anything from Peach Princess again if you would have said not to let people I know in real life play my games.. I shouldn’t push this any further especially after you agreed not to talk about copying again, but I want to tell you what you are trying to get at from another perspective and why people are frowning over your idea of “sharing”.

let’s not talk about b-games now, let’s talk about anime dvds, or any hollywood dvds for that matter. they all work the same way. if you want to show the movie to your friends by inviting them to your house and watch it in your living room, that’s fine. if you invite your friends to play a bishoujo game on your computer that’s fine (even though yes, it sounds odd). however, the minute you make a copy of that hollywood movie dvd and give to your friend for the sake of “sharing”, that’s where i think you crossed the line. if you lend them the original dvd to watch that’s of course ok (that’s how movie rental stores like blockbuster works essentially). likewise, that’s why i said if you lend them the game in its entire original form it’s alright. can you see what i am trying to get at? i am not trying to restrict your life or anything, please understand that.

Don’t forget Computermania. He plays JP bishoujo games too.

I also play original Japanese imports and would be happy to discuss them at any time, although I’m new to the genre and still have limited knowledge. (Most of my money goes to Japanese Sega Saturn games if anyone is interested in those as well.)

It might seem simple enough to draw lines that way, but it depends on what kind of ethics you have. What is the most important factor to determine if something is right or wrong? There are three options. It’s the motive, the act itself, or the concequences. Lamuness is judging by the act. If I let everyone I meet borrow my games just so that they can play them without buying them, what happens? The motive would be to reduce a few sales, no copies of any game would have been made, and the outcome could go either way. Maybe people would be so impressed with the games that they’d start buying them. I don’t like to isolate acts themselves as good or bad because it’s too narrow. I really think that an act alone isn’t as important as the motive or concequence. In this case the concequence is a key factor. The good concequence would be that through sharing games with other people, everyone becomes more interested in the games and buys more games to share with the other people in the small group. The negative concequence would be that that people would forget about being real fans of the games and would play only what they can get in copied form without buying any games, or buying as few as possible to stay in the group. Even lending an original game is the same as lending a copied disc if the game does not require the disc to play, such as any Cronus game. Sending either copies or original game discs would result in both people being able to play the game at the same time. So, there’s not much of a difference in that case. Another thing, when someone lends a book to a friend to read, they usually don’t expect that friend to go out and buy that book. There are exceptions, but usually when you lend someone something to watch or read, it’s so that they can use yours without buying their own. On the other hand, the friend could become interested in that style of writing and buy similar books, but not that same one. So with something like this, it can’t possibly be so black and white. But don’t get too worked up, I’m trying to get you to think about this in terms of how you can judge any activity, as well as the grey area involved in sharing and borrowing. All of us here, myself included, are bias toward the protection of the very small English bishoujo game market so it’s difficult to look as this in an objective matter, but I think you can do it if you try. If you think about it that way, you can see that some things are okay and others are not, but it’s very difficult to actually draw lines based on “act” judgement.

To SuperDeadite - I got my Sega Saturn USB pad in the mail today, and it works perfectly with the Duel Savior demo. I know you wanted the pad, and that you are buying Duel Savior so I just wanted to let you know for sure that they work together. Even with the controler, Nanashi is still beating the crap out of me.

well, i can argue some of your points but since it won’t get anywhere i have decided not to.

i very well understand the gray area this is in; i did give it some thought. however, given the fact that this is A B-GAME COMPANY BBS we have to be a bit more strict from our standpoint. i didn’t really condemn you about what you did; i only asked you to stop talking about copying games (for whatever reason) on this bbs, that’s all.

Oh yeah, I can see why this BBS needs to be more strict than other places with reguard to this topic. So, no problem, I won’t mention it anymore. But I’m not really rooted in my beliefs reguarding this subject, so if you wanted to argure my points, or take a different angle on the situation, I wouldn’t just ignore what you say. You can PM if you want to, since we’re supposed to stop the discussion on this board. If you don’t have time, that’s fine too.