console games?

We have the xbox 360 vs the ps3 and the wii in the wars.
It doesn’t look like the ps3 is gonna have a life outside of japan.
On the other side the 360 is doing great in the west. Does anyone here
believe the ps3 is gonna go down like the last two sega consoles(Saturn,dreamcast)?
just seems that the ps3 has the power but what is out in japan for it seems to go to xbox
For the west. Also I was wondering if anyone knows why horror games on consoles are limited
to resident evil and silent hill? I know they must be more that fit the bill but don’t make it to the west.

I think that Sony will not down yet. Dreamcast was still great console. I still loved it. Someone from Gamefaqs claimed that Sony announced about PS3 era will remain for ten years like PS1-2.

Wii hardware sales remained to be first. Fourth Fatal Frame will come out to Wii. Siren remake will come out to PS3.

There are a lot of other survival games.

just try Obscure, Obscure 2, Cold Fear, Alone in the Dark 4, Onimusha (1 → 3), Fear Effect 1 & 2, Forbidden Siren, Dino Crisis 1 & 2, Parasite Eve 1 & 2 (Aya Brea wins !), …

I never heard of cold fear, obscure 1/2. What console were they on? The rest u mentioned I did play withthe exception of fear factor 1/2 something about them I didn’t like. However as I said. Now it just seems like we only get silent hill or resident evil as the only horror games and it would seem to me that they aren’t worth more than a rental cause they barely last 48 hours or less for gameplay especially capcom games. Example I played Dmc 4 and finished it in 20 hours.
To me If u want me to pay 50-60 dollars for a game it should give me 50-60 hours of playtime.

Sony and Microsoft have what SEGA did not when they tanked: lots of money. When Dreamcast failed commercially in the West, SEGA could not recover the costs. To keep in business, the had to completely restructure themselves and tighten their belts. Hence the termination of their console system making.

However Sony and Microsoft are not “primary” game makers - that is to say, the XBOX and PS are major $$$ earners, but they have other areas that can recover losses. So where SEGA could not “dig in” because it would have meant extinction, Sony and Microsoft can just weather the storm and funnel cash from other sources… or just wait until the next console generation to try again.

Hence the reason why Nintendo being on top of the heap is really neat. They’re really the underdog if you look at it financially, given how much richer Sony and Microsoft are. In 2007 Sony almost pulled $90 billion, Microsoft $50 billion, and Nintendo a “mere” $8 billion. If you were crazy enough consider the “raw value” of these three companies (i.e. every single piece of asset they owned), Nintendo REALLY falls behind, as Microsoft and Sony are practically “megacorps” that have massive political pull (both of whom have defense contracts and service other multi-billion corporations). Sony is considered part of - or at least in bed with - the Mitsui zaibatsu (I don’t ever recall Nintendo having membership with one).

PS2 and PC.
In Obscure there is even a 2P mode (since you play with 2 characters at the same time).

Cold Fear is interesting because it happens on a boat during a tempest so it shakes all the time.

Restricting yourself to consoles, you’re missing out on what is considered by many to be one of the greatest games ever: System Shock 2.

Seconded. System Shock 2 is sheer awesomeness.

Obscure 2 aka Obscure: the Aftermath released for PS2, Wii, and PC.

Well, actually my favorite horror-game series on console still is “Fatal Frame” (better known here in Europe as “Project Zero”)!

Particulary the second part “Crimson Butterfly” - hey it was focussed on twins after all! :wink:
(Yep, Narg, that was your cue! :twisted: :stuck_out_tongue: )

Perhaps, that part is also to be blamed that I got interested in “This ugly, yet beautiful world” and “Red garden” in the first place. No, I don’t regret that at all! :wink:

So, while RonXe already mentioned it in a subclause, I felt I had to point the OP more directly to this one, because he/she only seems to find “Resident Evil” (not really my cup of tea, starting with the too scientific cause of the events) and “Silent Hill” (okay, I like that one too, though I feel that the later parts don’t live up to the first).