Crescendo: Eien Dato Omotte Ita Ano Koro

Actually I recently got the Untranslated version, and I think, Its not exactly in Kanji .:frowning: Someone confirm my fears. My knowledge of Japanese is pathetic, I mean I just enrolled for a class beginning 2 weeks later So :roll:
And Thanks lancer X for al that info

Eh?
Could you rephrase that? How is Crescendo ‘not in Kanji’?

Japanese is not a wall of solid Kanji. There are two phonetic alphabets (the hiragana and katakana) that are used all over the place. In fact, if you’re looking at a wall of Kanji, it’s almost certainly Chinese.

Some things are very heavy in kanji. Others are much lighter, and tend to have furigana (phonetic alphabet ‘subtitles’) by the kanji they do have. Eroge are aimed at adults, who are presumed to be able to read basic kanji. So most of them are not as watered down as (for example) Akazukin Cha Cha, or Card Captor Sakura, would be. (These would have furigana on all but the most basic kanji, and would use very little.)

However, some games are still heavier on kanji than others. Games with lots of plot, for example, because eroscenes really just need to use sound effects and “Put it in” :smiley: Or games that have a strong setting (scifi with technical vocabulary, fantasy with … fanstastical vocabulary, but even something like a racing game might have lots of racing terminology) or try to use less-than-modern Japanese.

So my guess is that he means Crescendo, being a fairly run-of-the-mill high school setting, doesn’t have large blocks of kanji for more-than-usually ornate descriptions.

Thanks for answering as much as you could Lancer-X. While I still prefer the AVG style of presentation since it provides a better view of the artwork (with Princess Waltz having the best implementation I’ve seen so far since it has a mostly transparent text box), I must admit that the columnar format you demonstrated in the screenshot is rather good. If in the future I get an untranslated game in visual novel format, I hope it has the ability to display in that manner. As for the audio playback, it doesn’t necessarily have to be in the backlog (though that is especially useful when I accidentally click more times than I intended or skip a little farther than I wanted). For instance, in Yume Miru Kusuri there is a button on the interface you can push to have the character repeat their current line. In any case, having the ability to listen to a line of dialog more than once will be extremely useful since I still have much Japanese to learn, and hearing someone pronounce a character will make looking it up a bit easier.
As for what Sid said, I am curious to hear if what Nandemonai said is the case. Depending on how quickly progress is made reading Yosuga no Sora this summer, I may get the extended version of Crescendo this summer as well. If what Nandemonai said is not the case, however, then could you please post a screenshot for us Sid?

Ehh…

I’m not sure that’s really the case. Yes, Crescendo is set in a school, and yes, it’s not written by Nasu or Setoguchi or Tanaka, but I would not say it’s exactly light on the kanji. It’s definitely above-average in that regard, at least.

Maybe SidVanHalen means that the Japanese text isn’t displaying properly on his computer? If that’s the case, make sure that you’ve installed East Asian fonts and have set the language for non-Unicode programmes to Japanese.

In addition to the system-locale (=non-UNICODE-setting, usually on the third page of the language setting property-sheet), the user-locale (usually onthe first page of the language setting property-sheet) might also be relevant.

It definitely was for some Will-games (Dokusen, Kairaku, Utsukushii Hime).
Perhaps, the game engine couldn’t find/use the definitely installed japanese fonts with the user-locale set not to “japanese”. Please don’t ask me why…

well the situation is this
I used a translator program(bgta) and I didnt get any results, so I thought that maybe it was non Kanji, or probably wasnt “clustered”.
Witl I’ll post some screenshots Later.
And thanx for reminding Of the east asian language thing. slipped my mind totally.

Try it without the translator program, then see if it has kanji.

Here::

The Japanese text isn’t displaying properly in the original game. Try following these instructions and see if they help.

Thanx a lot. That worked. The translation still sucks too. Good news is that I have started attending Japanese classes from today so YAY

Congratulations on your class. I hope it is as enjoyable as mine have been (for the most part). Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the language. I can’t guarantee I’ll be able to adequately answer, but I’ll do my best. Besides, I could use the practice over summer break. Also, if you don’t mind my asking, what textbook are you using?

Automatic translation software is still not that useful. The free web translators are so far as I know, fairly representative of the state-of-the-art. I mean, I can imagine that Google would just love to be able to sell subscriptions to an automatic-translator software that was to the point of being able to produce comprehensible output. But translate.google.com doesn’t do anything of the sort.

The main advantage is the text hooker software will pull out the kanji in a form that can easily be manually looked up, assuming the user is willing to spend large blocks of time manually translating. Automatic software translation can help there – but I see it as more of a learning aid at this point, not something that will let you fire up an untranslated game and follow along via autotranslation in comprehensible English.

I view it as a dangerous crutch that you don’t want nor need, though, even used for that purpose.

If you can easily look a kanji up, you’ll find yourself looking it up more often. There is little ‘pain’ associated with looking up a kanji, and as such, you are more likely to forget it. For this reason when I was learning Japanese I looked everything up by hand. Even if I was reading a webpage or document and could easily have copied and pasted the text, I still spent the time looking it up - this meant I was in general less likely to simply go and forget a kanji after learning it once or twice. (because then I’d have to look the damn thing up again).

First of all, sorry for the extremely late reply, I was kinda lost. :slight_smile:
Actually I am really enjoying the class, its not full time, but still fun. There are people wayyy better than me, and the teacher is good(native speaker).
Thanx for your offer, I’ll ask you if I have doubts. Thanks again.
I havent gotten any text book yet, rite now I am studying the basics Using some handouts given by my sensei and watching videos.

Yeah I’d have to agree, Artificial system cant beat a human translator with ability, but iots better for no knowledge people like me [:)]