Critical Point Tech Issue

Hi all, I just got a copy of the regular edition of Critical Point that I ordered from J-List with my $10 off coupon from Transfer Student. Ok, now I have a pretty big issue, I’m running the game on Windows ME and I’ve tried installing it with all three installation options. I did have the demo, but I fully uninstalled it before trying to reinstall it in that directory. Then I tried installing the game in a completely different folder to see if it was conflicting with another program. The problem is the game loads up and starts fine. However, when I get to the very first text part of the game it just halts. The screen says “Watch out!” then has the little mouse click in the right corner. I click the mouse, the background goes red, and the “Watch out!” stays up. I can click it over and over and it shows the new text pop up for a split second before the old text “Watch out!” pops back up. The game doesn’t get stuck tho. I can still go into the options and fiddle around or anything else, I just can’t move the text forward and the background stays exactly the same. This is really annoying and I am wondering if anyone else has a sollution to this problem?

-HarlequinZer0

Sounds like a game controller problem. If you have a game controller, try disconnecting it. If that still doesn’t work, try uninstalling the game controller.

It seems that the random signals sent by some game controllers cause the game to think you’re pressing the “back” button to go backwards through the text (and thus, you only see the first words from the game because you are prevented from going forward).

that sounds like a reasonable assumption, turrican…because i have Critical Point on Windows ME, with no game controller, and it has always worked fine for me

It doesn’t just affect Windows ME (AKA Windows 98 Third Edition, AKA Windows 95 Fifth Edition), it affects all versions of Windows, and also games that run on the same engine. I had exactly the same problem with Snow Drop for example.

TurricaN you are my hero. It was my joystick that was causing it. I went into the control panel, disabled the joystick, and now everything is working perfect. Thanks for the help.

-HarlequinZer0

quote:
Originally posted by HarlequinZero:
TurricaN you are my hero.
-HarlequinZer0

I so much want to make several jokes and snide comments here but I'll be a good boy for now... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

You can use some joysticks to play Peach Princess games. Just use one that allows you to map keyboard keys to the joystick buttons. All you need to map is up and down arrows (For making selections), return (for progressing the text), control (for fast forward) etc…

Or you could do what I do and use the keyboard.

quote:
Originally posted by HarlequinZero:
TurricaN you are my hero.

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
I so much want to make several jokes and snide comments here but I'll be a good boy for now... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

Don't ask if you don't want to know. Now back away from the thread slowly with your keyboard in the air.