Currently Playing/Mini-Review Thread

Rance Quest Magnum (purchase link). I’ve cleared the final story-related question in Magnum, although there’s more content that’s unlocked afterward (mostly difficult fights, and the option to after clearing a few of those, to change to World 2/replay the game at a harder difficulty level. Worlds 2 and 3 are probably strictly for masochists, especially as some of the battles from what I’ve read require immense amounts of levelling up, or are plain impossible to beat. There’s a video on nico with a party including Level 254 Rance, getting absolutely annihilated by the final boss of World 3, on the ??? quest)

Positives: Significantly better story than Quest, ties up all of the loose ends in the original with Crook, the AL Church etc., and fixes balance issues, making the gameplay a highly addictive and enjoyable experience. Magnum offers very good value for an expansion pack, although I think that’s partially to make up for the original game being incomplete.

Negatives: Three significant mistakes, and some smaller errors. The first is that while Magnum is an IF story, there are many events which explain the actions of Crook/role of the AL church and are almost certainly canonical (otherwise the information would just have to be repeated in a latter game), however in other sections, particularly towards the ending, there are definite story contradictions. Particularly for the final quest for each, I think they needed to do it once, incorporating all of the ‘true’ events, as it takes place in the same location for both games, but with very few consistencies between the two.

The second, is that there are too many characters. Even though Magnum does add at least one individual event for all the characters via Quest 134, when you have a party of over 60 characters, but can only use 5 in a battle, a lot of them will only be used very occasionally, or not at all (some characters are unable to learn say high level spells, and others come with significant drawbacks, and quite a few are just very underpowered). Some XP from each battle flows onto the other party members, but it accumulates very slowly, and won’t be enough to make the characters useful without grinding.

The third is something that will never be fixed… NO VOICES.

Edit: Completely forgot about a fourth issue. The game is limited to a single save file, and afaik changing the difficulty level to easy/going to World 2 will overwrite the existing save, as different difficulty levels force you to start the game from scratch. If you want to keep your ‘World 1’ save, you’ll need to artificially back up your save data. While the logic of the single save is understandable, since any failing a quest does not have any consequences, it’s not a very user-friendly design.

These are all relatively small issues. Some of the new side-quests are very well handled, but others are redundant + uninteresting (same goes for several quests in the original too). Certain levels have annoying features such as invisible exit points, that you have to stumble over. Although the balance is generally excellent, I still think the escape skill needs to be toned down and/or removed, as the fastest and safest way of clearing some of the longer and more difficult stages, is to take multiple rangers, give one the skill upgrade that gives a 100% success rate, and switch over to your best party for the compulsory fights on each quests (generally, only 1 or 2). Unlike the original, there’s no dedicated area with boosted XP in Magnum, although thanks to the rangers, it’s possible to clear the game without too much need for grinding.

Subjective: Magnum is really what Quest should have been. If they’d incorporated most of the plot from Magnum into the original and stripped out some of the side-quests/unimportant new characters, they would have been able to produce a much stronger and more unified work, with only say two months additional development time - much less than it took to make Magnum. I’d strongly recommend playing at least VI and Sengoku before Quest, although there are references + recurring characters from all of the previous games, including 4.1 + 4.2.

Overall, I’d say that Quest + Magnum is definitely superior to 6, but behind Sengoku. Rance 9’s been confirmed to take place in Helman, so I hope they manage to both get the gameplay right, and strike a balance between introducing new characters, retaining long-running + important characters from the series and controlling the party size.

HOTEL (getchu)

Positives: (for the most part) great characters, with lots of attention being given to the sub-characters + protagonist too. Intriguing setting, that’s used as a vehicle for some strong character development. Full voice, with all of the seiyuu giving strong performances.

Negatives: Much of the story in the present stems directly from events in the past, yet 99% of the writing in set in the present, making it difficult to fully understand or empathise with characters. For me, the second half of the game started to fall apart, as certain details about the setting were only explained briefly or not at all. Final (true) ending feels very abrupt, as I think the author had it in mind from the beginning of the story, but wasn’t able to find an effective way to smoothly connect to it (I think the plot was altered late in the game’s development, as there’s one CG in the OP that didn’t end up in the final game).

CGs, tachie and colouring range from excellent to inconsistent to wildly out of proportion. HCGs are particularly bad.

Subjective: Writing is deliberately slow-paced, and most of the story developments relate primarily to characters rather than more general events. Lots of slice of life, some of which was tedious for me to read (why do so many eroges love talking in great detail about food?). All sub-routes should be cleared prior the true ending, although it’s very much a ‘single route’ eroge.

Overall: If you can pick it up cheaply, I think it’s worth playing, as despite my many reservations, it’s still an above average eroge.

??? (Eiyuu Senki)

First post in a long long time. Been playing Eiyuu Senki and really enjoying it, here’s my opinion on the game.

Positives: good gameplay, similar to Sengoku Rance (and other Rance games, I presume, but I only played Sengoku Rance), slightly more deep; funny comedy; good characters totally messed up from an historical perspective (when you see that Vlad Tepes is a loli, and you find her in Australia, you do realize something is very wrong…in a good way :smiley: ); very high quality CG art (Littlewitch style); good seiyuu.

Negatives: not fully voiced; the difficulty level of the game is nor always balanced.

Subjectives: too many lolis.

Overall: this is basically a Rance game without the rape, and it’s well done. What they did with the historical characters is so nuts, they will get you laughing. If you like a game with funny comedy, gorgeous art and mildly challenging gameplay, you can’t go wrong with Eiyuu Senki.

Good thing there’s a fanlation project for it, then:

http://tlwiki.org/index.php?title=Eiyuu_Senki

Only Kichikuou is like Sengoku. The others are varying kinds of RPGs.

Just posted a review for Kyonyuu Fantasy, which I found to be a nice surprise for a nukige:

http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/forums/e … uu-Fantasy

Guess this means I should start looking for Nukenin now and also start pestering JAST and MG to make a deal with Waffle.

Kyonyuu Fantasy was written by an excellent writer, who also wrote the eroge my avatar is from, a pretty definitely non-nukige title (and probably one of my top 20 eroges overall)
I haven’t actually played Kyonyuu Fantasy yet, because my deep distaste for kyonyuu is pretty overpowering, but I definitely eventually will.

The only Waffle game I truly enjoyed, was [url=http://www.erogereview.com/2008/12/09/nukenin]Nukenin[/url] (I love me some Karura). That being said, I actually dislike the remake… the animated scenes seemed… well… outta of place, for lack of a better phrase. They just kinda, “wham”, get thrown in there and seem to disrupt the scene. Otherwise though, good ninja fun.

Nukenin wasn’t written by boin_master though :frowning:

Got any links to what else the guy’s written eroge wise? I must say I’m interested.

Should point out one last thing, good as KF is and even though I muself have no aversion to its respective fetish unless it goes overboard (the Blue Eyes manga still haunts me :frowning: ) its ero scenes can get LONG.

He wrote Prism Heart and Pandora no Yume for Pajamas-Soft. Pandora no Yume is, IMO, a really great title. It’s a fairly short but nonetheless strong story. Features speech bubbles, cutouts and lots of animation years before Littlewitch got famous for doing the exact same thing =P He wrote Love Split for Rouge (defunct Will brand) - I haven’t played this but it has a high score on EGS. He also worked on Maple Colors but I don’t know how much of that he wrote. After that… he worked on a heap of kyonyuu titles for various brands. All the Waffle ones he’s worked on (Kyonyuu Fantasy, Kyonyuu Majo, Kyonyuu Fantasy 2, Kyonyuu Fantasy Gaiden) have apparently been pretty solid.

He also wrote this series of lectures on scenario writing. Behind the 1996-era webpage design is some insightful stuff. It’s also hilarious to just read.

Here’s my review of Kyonyuu Fantsy Gaiden:

http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/forums/e … asy-Gaiden

Something seems to be wrong with that link.

Apparently the site’s community section is down.

I’m in the process of reposting my reviews and I’ve got most of them up for viewing on blogspot:

http://gamesforadultsandeveryone.blogspot.com/

For those who missed it, my reviews of Kyonyuu Fantasy and its fandisk are here specifically:

http://gamesforadultsandeveryone.blogsp … ntasy.html

http://gamesforadultsandeveryone.blogsp … sy_27.html

Good news, hope to see more of then soon :mrgreen: .
On a related note, I’ve NOT preordered Kansen this time, I want to see your opinion/review first :wink: .

If you’re talking about Ball Buster, it may be a while till I give a full review on that since I haven’t played 4 and 5 yet and don’t want to spoil myself with the chronicle part (not sure how I feel though about the creators flat out stating what events from the series are considered canon :expressionless: ). May post some impressions I have for the main story of it though.

I’m skipping BB because Janis spent relatively few time and resources in promoting it, I suspect it’s merely a fanservice product released solely because people want THIS :lol: .
I can reconsider my opinion if you say “The main story is OK”, however :slight_smile: .

Okay, I’ve posted a new review for Halloween. I hope you all enjoy it as it’s a review some may have been expecting:

http://gamesforadultsandeveryone.blogsp … en_28.html

http://vndb.org/v3230

Noticed your vote since September 12, now I’m 100% sure you really loved the game, heheh…
To my knowledge/memory, your review has only two minor errors, the fat yakuza is named Shigeyoshi and (if I remember correctly) Margarita is from a fictional South American nation, and not from Spain.
Thank you VERY much for a VERY good work, however! :mrgreen: