Darth Vader and Yoda are in Soul Calibur IV

The Force characters are overpowered.

Vader is a damage powerhouse and has strong projectile attack options. His major handicap is just being tall and having slow attack executions, but given that SC4 puts a major focus on attacking over turtling, that doesn’t seem to be too much of a problem.

Yoda is short. High attacks don’t hit him. You can’t throw him. He’s also fast. Way fast. Yoda has stubby arms though, so he has to get close. Again: offense-centric SC4 gameplay makes that kinda moot. Yoda is also unusual for a SC character… fighting him takes a few moments to understand, as his attack patterns don’t “feel” like something for Soul Calibur.

Surprisingly, I haven’t fought Starkiller enough to really gauge him.

Yeah, the Star Wars characters are annoying, though once you know Yoda’s deal, he’s not that hard… vertical attacks will almost always hit him. The Apprentice is full of Force lightning cheese, but since he can be thrown and hit by normal attacks, he’s not as bad.

Raphael lost points when he killed off his maid guard. Pure love or not, a wasted maid girl is grounds for immediate removal. There was a lot of talk earlier that this was going to be the last Soul Calibur, and it does seem like alot of stories deal with getting rid of the swords, but not everyone’s is completely final. I can’t imagine that this is the last game in the series, and the last interview I saw with the director seemed to indicate that it wasn’t so…

Haven’t really dug into the Tower of Souls mode yet. That’s what I’m going to start working on now.

LOL… well it help show that Raphael is utterly insane. It was his obsessive love for Amy, that lead to the wild conclusion of his. With all the induendo from Amy’s backstory, there’s some serious lolita lov’in going on. Have you seen the Amy variant of Raphael’s ending? Twice the autracity. Amy punishes him for it though. :stuck_out_tongue:

I loved the reaction the flunkies had, when Ralphael threw his sword. It was priceless.

Yea. It seems the serious $$$ has them rethinking about retiring Soul Calibur.

They could treat it like Samurai Spirits though. Storywise the saga is long over: the new games are nothing more than “dream matches” and whatnot (characters like Ukyo and Nakoruru are canonically dead). So the SC4 story ends, but the games continue.

Or they could do what System Arc has done: just start a new series with the same game engine (BluBlaze is just Guilty Gear in new clothes).

hey Narg are you playing on X360 or PS3 ? is it possible to get both force characters on one platform via download?

Haha, that was what made me angry when he killed them off. I loved the idea of him rolling with his ladies (and wolfman?), they were so funny. You’re right, it does illustrate how crazy he is now. It was such a turn around in III, it kind of confused me about his character, I guess I should just get used to it now. I do like his style (and Amy’s ending was funny).

I guess I could get into the dream matches. I’d rather not have them restart with a new cast or what not. Especially now with DoA all but out of the picture, I kind of need the Soul Calibur characters, so I don’t want them to go away :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe some threat arises, and some of the heroes return… I mean I can see some of them not coming back (as anything more than unlockables) after their endings, but some, like especially Raphael could still have alot more story.

Thus far I am digging Ivy (having not really used her since II, and never being good at her since I, I don’t mind learning her again.), Setsuka, and Tira. I love Tira’s expressions in this one, and her costumes (Particularly P2) are awesome. Unfortunately, I am having alot of trouble controlling her Gloomy / Jolly stances, and combined with her weak hits, she is kind of hard to use.

The Amy-Raphael relationship is quite a shark jumper.

In SC2, Raphael felt indebted to Amy for saving his life - thus wanting her to live a good life. Amy didn’t care about Raphael at all: she only saved him because she wanted to spite the city guards who she hated. Outside of hate, the only other emotion she had was apathy towards everything.

In SC3, Raphael was now truly obsessed with Amy. I guess that’s because of Soul Edge tainting his blood with evil (vampire style), and the fact that Amy saved his life AGAIN. However this time, apathetic Amy is getting all hot and heavy for daddy. She wants to make him happy too. I guess she likes obsessive men…

In SC4 we have an utterly “I only think about Amy” type of Raphael. He can’t say two sentences without mentioning her in some fashion. For her part, Amy is now so horny she wants to carry Raphael’s undead children, and goes forth to let him know that. It is cute however, that the personality she has around Raphael, is a lot different than the one she shows others (evidently she has a dark sense of humor and playfulness).

I guess the biggest change was the jump between SC2 and SC3. The whole vampire factor made everything suddenly gothic and macabre. Which I enjoy of course ¬ñ but it went a totally odd direction. There seemed to be a moment when Raphael and Amy were of a “neutral” alignment ¬ñ or that Amy wouldn’t fall into the same insanity as Raphael. But with Raphael obsessed with creating a new world for Amy, and Amy obsessed with living in a new world with Raphael… well… they are clearly evil now. Never expected for the whole Lolita love thing… at least not until SC3 hinted at it with Amy - although it seemed unrequited then. Now SC4 makes it obvious that daddy and daughter are perfect for each other.

Picked this up on Saturday… Absolutely Loved Cassandra’s ending… if anyone was paying attention that’s Taki getting fried in the “Facing Nightmare” pre fight CS. for the Soul Edge ending… Really p.o.d that i can’t create a custom character using any of the “Anime” characters, well you can sort of but it’s just a variation of that character. Amy’s ending was how shall we say “interesting.” lol I feel sorry for the male created Characters who use Cassandra’s Critical Finish! :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry bout the ramble… and I agree this SHOULD be the last game in the series.

I guess if this is the final SC entry, the question that needs to be answered: Which ending is canon?

We can rule out all the evil endings, given that there has to be a world left for someone to record these “legends that never die.” None of the extra characters either… and of course no Star Wars. :stuck_out_tongue:

My vote goes for Zaslamel or Xianghua. Hilde ending reminds me of a dark ero I played once… only it results in more tentacles. :wink:

Narg, IMO Cassandra’s could nicely wrap up the whole thing as well:

She Destroys both Soul Edge and Soul Calibur in her ending. No Swords end of Story. lol

And she does it for all the Right reasons too.

Cassandra’s ending makes it hard for there to be a Soul Calibur V. Namco has to keep their options on the table. :wink:

I am pretty sure that is Tira getting burned up / sacrificing her soul to Soul Edge.

Look again… you can see Taki’s red Unitard and her ninja shoes and in the Japanese Dialogue the Voice is clearly Taki’s, not the high pitched Psychoticism of Tira lol.(might be different in the English Dialogue, The English voice acting was so horrid I switched to Japanese Voice with Subs)

I did check… still pretty sure it’s Tira. You can see her pig-tails… and her P1 outfit is also red. It also makes a little more sense, since Tira’s the one following soul edge around like a deranged puppy dog.

For Endings, it’s hard to pick one that wasn’t final. I liked Ivy’s, but that would still leave the swords destroyed. I think they should go with Raphael’s and make him the new bad guy.

Ya I checked it again as well and you’re right, The Boots are definitely Tira’s P1 outfit.

Enterbrain reported in some magazine articles, that Namco is not disbanding the Project Soul Team as originally planned. Can you say Soul Calibur V? I know you can. :stuck_out_tongue:

On a side note, I’ve just reached the 60th floor on the SC4 Tower: most badass fighting game boss song ever (spoiler obviously). 8) What makes it so awesome, is that SC generally uses orchestral and faux choral for its BGM. To suddenly hear this as the “final battle” is quite a surprise… but no less cool.

Throw in a boss that reads your button commands as you input them, so he can counter them flawlessly with his 200% damage bonus and attacks that heal him… well… there’s no better way to lose than an AI cheap bastard. :twisted:

Oh, god. Now I’m having flashbacks to the final boss fight of the first God of War. Ares is a fucking cheap-ass bastard. You have a shared lifebar. Anytime anyone takes damage, the unit of damage changes ‘sides’ and only is actually removed from the fight if the one getting healed is already full.

This is incredibly cheap, since Ares spends most of the fight either invincible, or ready to juggle your ass.