DLSite is making me poor, and EroGameshop may be joining it

Now, I didn’t use to play a lot of Japanese only games, unfortunately/fortunately my Japanese is getting better, and with some assistance from translation software, I can now play through untranslated games. DLSite has been seeing some serious use out of my credit card ( I fear the foreign transaction fees coming to be honest) , but you can find SERIOUS deals on some QUALITY games. Basically I’m making this post to plug one game in particular, but Norn/Lilith sell games on the cheap. I mean, those are your basic sex romps, and really don’t do the “quality” label justice, unless you’re talking quality of artwork which is absolutely high quality, but story wise, lacking.

So anyway, I bought Yggdrasill of DLSite English for $20 , and it’s right up there for me with Brave Soul. It’s an old school dungeon crawling RPG (AND I MEAN OLD SCHOOL. 1st person view, click to move forward, it does auto map for you, but it’s basically a pen and paper dungeon set up) where surprise, surprise, your whole party is female. Now, there are only 3 girls (party of 4) but it includes a Final Fantasy 5 job class system, so if you want a berserker or a ranger, you can totally get one. It also has what may be the best job class ever; Slave Trader. Yes, that’s right. You capture monsters and sell them into slavery for a sizable amount of gold, and the added benefit of selling female monsters (outside of increased gold per sale) nets you the option of training them. Of course, me being incompetent, I unlocked one girls route and doggedly pursued a different one for the general bad ending, but that was totally my fault. The majority of the story takes place in the dungeon, though there are a few town scenes, just don’t expect any riveting gameplay sequences happening there. The story is surprisingly good, it had me hooked well enough to play for 15 hours straight on my last session to get the bad ending, lol. It takes a lot of liberties with Norse mythology, but I’m alright with that. I was just so impressed with such a cheap (price wise!) game, I thought I would share my discovery.

Anyway, some linkage I think.
http://eng.dlsite.com/work/=/product_id/RE041185.html

http://www.aigis-web.com/soft-01/soft-01.html

The Wish List page of my DLsite account is pretty long, but who cares?
Slave Trader class? I much liked the Athasian trader, but this is clearly better :twisted: , thank you very much for the microreview, fellow game addict :smiley: .

??? :stuck_out_tongue:
Narg, thanks for giving me the opportunity for a little mini-exercise on something that was partially gone over in class yesterday (verb + ???). While I sort of learned on my own how to use the ? conditional form at the end of spring semester, I didn’t learn until today (again, through independent study) how to make a conditional using the negative form of the verb.
While I fully expect that this post will pretty much be read by those who can understand what I said, here is the translation for those who don’t understand: It would be better if stones weren’t thrown by people who reside in houses of glass. Otherwise known as “People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones” in English.

Hm, maybe is that my Japanese is still very basic, but isn’t that more like “it’s okay if they don’t throw stones” more than “they shouldn’t throw stones”? I can’t input in Japanese here, but maybe the expression could be “nagenai hou ga ii”?

I think the closest English equivalent would be “they better not throw stones.” Which translates more naturally as “shouldn’t”. But my knowledge of Japanese is very basic. I’m just piecing together grammar without knowing most of the words there.

Japanese has a lot of nuances that cannot be neatly translated to English. Literally, the sentence translates to “As for people who live in glass houses, if stones are not thrown, it’s good.” You can of course, polish that so it sounds normal in English such as “People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.” However, the person translating needs to be careful not to change the original meaning. One thing that drives me crazy is -teageru -tekureru -temorau because many times translators will leave out their intended meaning, and I don’t blame them because it’s very hard to translate neatly into English.

There is a slight bit of context in my translation as well. As my textbook explains, verb+??? equals “It would be good if you did [blank]”, and has a note that the expression is usually used to suggest the opposite of what the other person is doing or not doing. Since I used a negative conditional form (i.e “If [blank] isn’t done” instead of “If [blank] is done”), of course the meaning changes to “It would be good if you didn’t [blank]”. In this instance, I was using a proverb instead of directly suggesting the opposite of what Narg was doing. Without the context of what Narg was doing, the ?? part would be dropped, as I understand it.
Oh, and I must say I am surprised that I managed to turn this in to a discussion on translation.

Sad thing is I’m beginning to recognize, figure out what is the likely meaning (kun, on or other) and look up kanji better than I am kana.

Have fun flipping through your dictionary. :stuck_out_tongue: I prefer to let the computer inject the furigana for me, with other possible readings and potential English meanings available with a mouse-over.

Doesn’t work for console/handheld games.