Do the new ps3s play imports?

I’ve heard that old ps3 units, those with the emotion chip, can’t play imports, but those with emulated software can. I have some import games (Dragon Quest and other titles) I’d like to play on the system.

I would say “nay.” I’m pretty sure the new ones are still region locked for ps2/ps1 software even though ps3 software is NOT region locked.

I looked this up immediately when I heard ‘PS3 not region coded’, because I had the same thought. It turns out Raigan is right; backwards compatibility is region locked, and always has been. Only PS3 games are regionless.

Sucks, doens’t it?

yea…well here’s hope that the 3rd party pre-alpha loader gets better. Till then, I’ll hold off buying a console as there’s maybe 1 game atm i might play on it (i wanted the ps3 for the ps2 enhancements).

Or you could order a japanese PS3. Same blu-ray region, so you’re not missing out there (though blu-ray region encoding is not mandatory). And when games come out for the ps3 in your region you DO want to play it’s fine since they’re not region coded at all. Plus you could get the kickass looking MGS4 steel PS3… I think that one has backward compat, but you’d have to check first.

Yea, but I have slightly more PS2 english games than Japanese…I also have a limited amount of shelf space. Now if the Japanese ones were made to not disciminate, that would be different, but they are as well.