DVD and CD games

When I look see the web sites some of the game have CD games and DVD games. What is different between this two? More like graphics are different? Any info appreciated.

quote:
Originally posted by Computermania:
When I look see the web sites some of the game have CD games and DVD games. What is different between this two? More like graphics are different? Any info appreciated.

DVD Games come in two flavors. DVD-Rom is just that, a game playable on a computer.

DVD Players games are games that will run on an appropriately region coded DVD player. Game is controlled using the DVD Remote.

quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
DVD Games come in two flavors. DVD-Rom is just that, a game playable on a computer.

DVD Players games are games that will run on an appropriately region coded DVD player. Game is controlled using the DVD Remote.

Thanks I got it now. So I shuld stay way from the DVD-Games.

huh…not necessary…You can always get a region-free dvd player…or use the dvd player on your computer to play them … :slight_smile:

[This message has been edited by Noirbo (edited 01-18-2004).]

No, you can not stay away from DVD games.

DVD format has more bytes than CD format. I think that PC DVD games are growing slowly.

Playstation 2 games prefer to use DVD format than CD format. PS2’s Silent Hill 3 DVD vs. PC’s Silent Hill 3 CD (5 discs)

quote:
Originally posted by RonXE:
No, you can not stay away from DVD games.

DVD format has more bytes than CD format. I think that PC DVD games are growing slowly.

Playstation 2 games prefer to use DVD format than CD format. PS2's Silent Hill 3 DVD vs. PC's Silent Hill 3 CD (5 discs)

And the fact DVD games are usually larger than most CD games...which only means more goodie in them ... ^_^

I got some of the Bishojo games on DVDs and I finally figure it out. For the CD games you need the game disk to order to play. DVDs versions you don’t need game disk. Just install and you can able to play. Also, they don’t have region code. But why they make CDs verson and DVDs version? I know few reasons but I need more details.

quote:
Originally posted by Computermania:
But why they make CDs verson and DVDs version? I know few reasons but I need more details.
I don't know for certain, but I suspect it has to do with ease of localization. Games use engines that typically require portation to work with different versions of Windows. DVDs have a simple menu interface that use imported images and text screens. You don't have to rewrite code to make games compatible with a DVD interface. Also, if the game is so large it fills a CD, you can avoid space issues by moving to the larger capacity format.

With the growing base of consumers who own DVD players, I'm afraid we may see fewer CDROM releases and lose things like easy save/restore features and greater than VGA resolution graphics.