DVD games

Hi, I was wondering if the DVD games, such as Amusement Park, are compatible with a computer DVD drive or does it only work with a TV based DVD player?

Here’s the simplest way to think of it:

If you can watch a DVD with it, you can play these games on it.

scratches head

I set the DVD on my desk and watched it for an hour… nothing happened…

quote:
Originally posted by JaeWoon:
Hi, I was wondering if the DVD games, such as Amusement Park, are compatible with a computer DVD drive or does it only work with a TV based DVD player?

Theoretically, yes they can be played. However, issues have been raised before when using a PC to play.

What type of issues? Any issues that might impede someone from enjoying the game?
Thanks for the replies.

Speaking from my experience most of the DVD games played on the computer were fine, though some were a little sluggish at times on the computer but otherwise worked fine. However Phantom of Inferno had much more major problems on the computer such as skipping scenes or freezing for a minute then going on which required DVD player playing of the game.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 07-25-2004).]

I personally have never had problems… not with Amusement Park (which I honestly did not enjoy at all) or Phantom Inferno (which ranked higher than Amusement Park, but still not anywhere near the top of my list of favorite games…) I’ve decided I’m going to try hourglass of summer and if that one feels like a disapointment too I doubt I’ll buy another DVD game, that’s just me though.

I am trying the next two out, but in general I agree with what ScorpioMysterica mentioned. The DVD games do not have as many features in terms of save and CG galleries that CD games have, but they are not all that bad, if you have not tried any try one of the new ones first.

I’ve been hesitant to try DVD games just because of the issues about saving and fast forwarding that have been raised (at least with the earlier games). I’m waiting to see if this sort of thing remains a thorn in the side, so to speak. As far as regional encoding goes (which shouldn’t be a problem in English translations), I thought that computer DVD players didn’t have the same problem with regional encoding that standard DVD players had.

my main issue with these games is that since it is a dvd, and I play on my laptop computer, a lot of battery life and dvd drive wear is spent on sitting there spinning a disk just to display a static picture on screen.
dunno how or if its possible but it would be nice if they could be smarter about the layout of such disks, maybe if everything was based in dvd menu scripting rather than video recorded screen to help minimize the disk access
or maybe if the dvd could include some basic pc readable executable that acts as a simple but intelligent player that smartly manages memory and disk access…preloading stuff like audio tracks…

quote:
Originally posted by exoarchaeologist:
my main issue with these games is that since it is a dvd, and I play on my laptop computer, a lot of battery life and dvd drive wear is spent on sitting there spinning a disk just to display a static picture on screen.

if you are within a few metres of an outlet you could always use the AC adapter that comes with your notebook.

[This message has been edited by aeiou (edited 07-25-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by woodelf:
you could allways get the new portiable DVD players too.

walking a few metres to connect your notebook to the outlet would be far less expensive than purchasing a portable dvd player ... ;-)

Topic to DVD player…I have lot of DVDs-games (japanese version) it works fine under my PC and labtop. My PC is XP. Anyway, Japanese anime dvd have to have correct region to play the under the US PCs. I have US PCs and I can watch the japanese anime dvds. I use the Power DVD program because DVD-Genie support Power DVD…and WIN DVD

yeah… batteries arent too bad of an issue
but drive wear really sucks
especially when you have a slightly out of balance disk and the whole thing vibrates audibly as its spinning

Well, im buying Tea Society of a Witch anyway, its got the cutesy loli character designs we dont get enough of, have to show support

Didn’t one of the recent e-mail letters from J-List say the new DVD games were out now? Everything else still reads around August 6th, coincidentally enough after the next convention that Hirameki is attending, Otakon in Baltimore, Maryland.

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
Speaking from my experience most of the DVD games played on the computer were fine, though some were a little sluggish at times on the computer but otherwise worked fine. However Phantom of Inferno had much more major problems on the computer such as skipping scenes or freezing for a minute then going on which required DVD player playing of the game.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 07-25-2004).]

You actually got phantom to work on your computer? It just kept crashing on mine at which point I lost all interest in trying to play the game.

Well in a sense yes, as said it did skip scenes sometimes and froze at others, I gave up trying it on the computer and went to a two or so year old DVD player on which it worked fine. It is one of those times I was just glad to have the DVD player to fall back on, though when thinking about it this might be why these games don’t seem that annoying minus a lack of save function, they aren’t played on the computer, but on the television.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 07-26-2004).]

I am beginning to doubt my desire for DVD games. Temporarily putting the compatibility issue aside, how is the content of the games? I’ve heard negatively about Amusement Park and not a lot of info about these games are available on the net. Also, how complex are the games? I’m not a big fan of Trabulance simplicity. Thanks for the replies so far.

quote:
Originally posted by JaeWoon:
Also, how complex are the games? I'm not a big fan of Trabulance simplicity. Thanks for the replies so far.

Well, if youthink that Trabulance's games (without using their help-system, of course) are too simple, you'd better forget about Day of Love or Amusement Park.

But I still would recommend Phantom of Inferno, though. The storyline is on par with Eve Burst Error and the decision-tree is quite complex.

Day of Love was hard, but it is still one that I recommend, perhaps that along with a strong recommendation for Phantom of Inferno as they are thus far their two best games, though waiting until these most recent come out might not be a bad idea since some of them might be even better and perhaps change the negative undertones you are now hearing.