E-mail addresses in plain sight

I’ve recently noticed that when you click on the icon to e-mail someone, the e-mail address is displayed in plain sight.

I wanted to replace it my e-mail address with gibberish between it, to fool the SPAM bots, but the e-mail address has to be in the correct format, so that didn’t work.

Any other solution?

Go to your profile and change the “Keep your email address viewable to other users when you post notes?” option to No.

[This message has been edited by fxho (edited 03-18-2006).]

I knew about that, but won’t that mean that other users can’t e-mail me anymore?

then maybe put something like

benoit@pleaseremoveeverythingbeforetheunderscore_hotmail.com as an example :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds good!

See for instance what I did with my profile (almost the same thing).

Since masking my e-mail address, I get roughly half the amount of SPAM I used to receive, I noticed.

Usually, in three days, I would get between 50 and 60 SPAM messages. Now, that’s down to between 15 and 30 SPAM messages.

Awesome. :slight_smile:

Why don’t you set your profile so that your email won’t be shown at all? Then you won’t get any spam due to some program harvesting this forum.

Please read the full thread before replying, Darkstar.

I did. It’s one or the other, as most forum harvesting programs are smart enough to pull out the basic “nospam” additions people put into their email.

Of course, if someone wants to contact you, they could just ask you, and then you could just post it in straight text. ie, Something At Somewhere Dot Com.

I’d rather let them easily be able to contact me. I thought that basic nospam additions would be circumvented. That’s why I didn’t make the truncating straightforward.

quote:
Originally posted by Darkstar:
I did. It's one or the other, as most forum harvesting programs are smart enough to pull out the basic "nospam" additions people put into their email.

Of course, if someone wants to contact you, they could just ask you, and then you could just post it in straight text. ie, Something At Somewhere Dot Com.

Really? They can? I was under the impression this would be too sophisticated an operation for such bots and therefore the measure was surprisingly effective. (I believe I saw a study wherein obfuscated emails were only marginally more likely to get spam than ones that weren't publically posted at all.)

Most people do something like:
darkstar@nospam.darkgalaxy.com

So most harvesting programs will just pop off the “nospam.” (or “nospam_”) characters.

Most of the harvesting are just now getting updated to pick up:
darkstar at nospam dot darkgalaxy dot com

But if you do things a wee bit off in text, then it still defeats harvesters. At least, last I read.

Humm… I should see who has the darkgalaxy domain. I think I just put them on a spammer’s list.

I’ve been getting more SPAM the last couple of days, so I changed my e-mail address to something more clever.

The new version of the BBS, which will be coming soon, should hopefully fix this