Ever 17 - the out of infinity (plus Never7 and Remember11)

What might be the likelihood of seeing a new physical copy and Steam release for this game and other games of this nature?

While I’d love to see the original version Ever17 (Ever17 -the out of infinity- | vndb) re-translated for smoother flow, I’d even be okay with seeing the original TL be released to a wider audience through Steam. It’s easily one of my favourite VNs that I’d love to see made available again.

Considering that Never7, Ever17, and Remember11 are all translated now, and available for digital DL in Japan (http://maginodrive.jp/category/5PB/MGS013.html), I’d really like to see a trilogy box set for these three games.

Any chance we could see these titles see an official release both physically and digitally from you guys?

(Though I’d be curious, from what I’ve heard about the 360 version of Ever17, I won’t ask for a port of that - Ever17 | vndb - though having an option to switch between the remixed 360 OST and the original OST and having HQ voices would be a very nice edition for Ever17)

I would love to see this as well. Ever 17 is my favorite visual novel. My physical copy of the Hirameki version is one of my favorite things I own. I would absolutely buy a new one. And I’d buy the other games, too - I’ve never played any of the others in the series.

Oddly, it showed up on the Steam DB about a year ago. It looked like someone was testing SOMETHING related to Ever 17, but nothing came of it.
https://steamdb.info/app/200090/

Interesting... Looks like Cyberfront (the then owners of the IP) were about to release it on Steam themselves! I think it was about a year ago that they were about to go bankrupt though, so that's what probably stopped the release. From that link you have there, it looks like they were going to support using a CD-key for current owners of the game to use it on Steam, though I guess we'll never know since Cyberfront doesn't exist anymore (I'm pretty sure MAGES/Kadokawa has the license now).

Would you mind posting scans of the box art for the CDs/box/manual for Ever17 here? I've always wondered what the box+contents looked like, but last time I looked I couldn't find any pictures of a high enough quality to actually read anything XD

Thanks! I didn’t know that timing. That is a logical explanation for the mystery. Also sad that they came that close and money problems got in the way.

I’m happy to post photos of the outside of the box. I had some of my boxes resealed recently and I didn’t think to take photos of the contents before I did that. :frowning:

Why does that box have too look so awesome :frowning:

I guess one of these days I’ll just have to venture into the second hand market and see if I can find it for a reasonable price somewhere. Apparently it’s worth $200 right now O.O

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Hirameki-Lot-Ever-17-Yo-Jin-Bo-and-Piece-of-Wonder-PC-Game-Visual-Novel-/151589600173?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234b71bbad

Whoa! That is ridiculous. I could never do it, even for games I love. The pricing is why I haven’t played the other games in the series - even import prices from J List for games in Japanese is too rich for me.

I would love to play Ever17 some day as well, since I've never heard it spoken of as anything but outstanding. Unfortunately, as with a lot of other oldie-but-goodie titles, I feel sure its age at this point is the biggest obstacle to the kind of re-release you mention. The initial release of Ever17 came out on the Sega Dreamcast(!) back in 2002, and even Hirameki's release (2005) turned 10 years old this year. Even for a *great* game, when it has been around that long, getting people excited enough to buy enough copies to justify a physical re-release is a very hard sell. Now, if it were re-released as a trilogy like you mentioned, maybe... maybe... maybe! (#holdingbreath #notholdingbreath)

With that said, what I really don't understand is why nobody is selling this game as a legal download. Existing copies of this game are selling for crazy prices, which indicates that a lot of people are still interested in owning and playing it. J-List used to sell download editions for many of Hirameki's titles after they were discontinued; I bought Ai Yori Aoshi that way before it disappeared, and they still sell Yo-Jin-Bo in that format. Since Hirameki's release was made to be compatible with XP, I think/hope it wouldn't take a ton of reworking to be playable on any modern Windows. Heck, I'd even be happy for the existing software to be sold as a download with a big "SOLD AS-IS" warning and let us worry about compatibility. Of course, there could be barriers due to who currently owns the rights to Ever17 and what they're willing to allow... That seems to be a recurring sad song in the VN industry.

And Canyon, whatever you do, don't get rid of that physical copy! LOL. Sadly, the price Okabe quotes is typical of Ever17 eBay prices, which is why I despair of ever owning a physical edition of the game. The cheapest I've seen it go in recent years was about $140-150 on a copy whose box was beat all to pieces. If you bought it back when it was reasonable, you made a fortunate purchase.

Oh, yeah, I can’t imagine ever selling it. Even if I ever decided to sell any of my physical copies of games, that would be last on my list.

I agree about not understanding why this game doesn’t have a legal download version available. I get that the rights have changed hands many times, but it would seem like the planets would have aligned ONCE during that timeframe to get it released. I’ve only played it to the end on XP, but I did install it and do some basic testing on Windows 7 and didn’t have any problems with it. Windows’ own compatibility checker process made it work fine. Plus, even if there isn’t knowledge in the visual novel industry to do it, the knowledge exists to get things working on newer operating systems. I was kind of amazed what inXile was able to do with the original Wasteland that they recently re-released and I am always impressed with what the folks at gog.com can do with older releases.

I’m a big Zero Escape fan and would love to see Ever 17 re-released again.

Just registered so I could join in and say I would buy the shit out of Remember 11 if it was to be acquired. It’s been my #2 favorite visual novel for a few years and I constantly daydream about it being licensed. I’m not the biggest fan of Ever 17 but I’d also purchase that for sure if it was to support the cause.

I’ve always been really disappointed that I couldn’t get a copy of Ever17. I always hear stories of old staff selling copies they had lying around away for dirt cheap and I just get upset that I missed my chance.

I wouldn’t mind the game on Steam, of course, but a new print run would be cool if someone could rescue the license.

But I can’t say I want to play the 360 version. Heard too much negativity about the way it was changed.