Ever Wish You Hadn't Beaten A Certain VN?

I haven’t had that from beating VNs, but I have had similar feelings before. When I beat Odin Sphere and Persona 3, for example. When I finished watching Haibane Renmei, I was torn between wanting there to be more, and figuring well, they can’t explain anything, and the story’s over, so if they DID make more, it would kind of ruin it anyway.

Cowboy Bebop, and Firefly, certainly gave that feeling. “Over NOW? Aww.”. Dragon Age, more so than any other game.

VN’s… the good ones do that. Too bad there’s so few of them.

I dunno, I always feel a great feeling of satisfaction when I clear a great eroge. Generally the story is ‘fulfilling’ enough for me to be happy with the outcome, not sad that it’s over.

I do quite often, actually. Here I get to know these characters, get to care for them and look forward to dealing with them, and suddenly the story is over and they are gone. The same thing happens to me when I read a good book; I end up missing the characters and thinking about them, wishing there were more adventures we could get into with one another.

When I got it I marathoned Hourglass of Summer in a single session. At the end, even though I knew I was going to get the good ending, I was literally on the edge of my seat and there was a melancholy moment for me when it ended. It’s such a tragedy that the OVA version of it was so terrible, though. 12 hours of story chopped into 1 hour of presentation does not a good experience make. :cry:

Depends on the ending really… A prime candidate would be the Mass Effect games, in the first you finish it’s over and that’s it. But in the second game you get to talk with the characters you’ve gotten to know throughout the game, just to get a somewhat closure feeling to it all… I find that to be rather rare in virtual novels, hence it’s quite often that I feel such a gap when ending one.

I reached the last chapter in Sakura Wars 5, and stopped. Two reasons: 1) I found the battle frustrating. 2) I didn’t want the game to be over! It was pretty clear even in May 2010 that there weren’t going to be any more localizations of Sakura Wars games. And even though I liked game #5 despite its flaws and my complaints, I wanted to leave the story unfinished.

As for H games, I finished Mizuki’s route in Edelweiss. It ended just as things were starting to look less bleak. I felt it was a rather abrupt ending.

Cross Channel.

i wish i would’ve finished bible black
but i lost the disk and lost it from my harddrive

ef. I hated most endings, the writer seemed to like making poor twin sisters suffer. I liked the game itself very much, but the way the story unfolded just pissed me off.

I liked the protagonist and hated the heroine of Chapter 1 (she’s probably the worst heroine EVER), because I sympathized with Kei and wanted her to end up with him… I hated the protagonist of Chapter 2, and of course he ended up with Kei, etc. Kuze in Chapter 4 is an utter moron.

It is a very good game, but nothing in it feels right. Maybe that’s how it was meant to be.

Although I wouldn’t say it’s regretting or wishing I hadn’t beating a certain VNs. For me that empty feeling for me is part of how I judge how good a story, game or book is. The longer lasting and deeper it is, the stronger I tend to feel that the story and thus game was good. Maybe it’s kind of unfair to more lighthearted themed stuff though?

I’ve never felt withdrawal like that, since I think the characters can continue to live on in your imagination. That’s the basis of doujinshi, fanfiction, fan art, and so on.

An empty feeling can always be filled by one’s own hand.

Tsukihime and Saber route in F/SN… ~_~

Ever 17, and I’m going to Serve you 4. I loved those games

While technically not “beaten” by that time - remember that scene with Takeshi before the individual routes start in Kazoku Keikaku, when he makes his announcement after looking at his watch? I would have lived a much happier life if I hadn’t seen that one. :frowning: