Fallout series

Who is going to play Fallout 3?

Or who played FO 1 or 2 or Brotherhood of steel?

(And if you haven’t played the early Fallout games, you can buy them, cheap legal and easy, from goodoldgames… Well, if you have a beta pass. I’m not sure if they’ve opened the main site yet.)

And if you HAVE played Fallout, you’ll be terribly disappointed that Fallout 3 is NOT Fallout. It’s Oblivion reskinned with guns. Bethesda Soft only knows how to make one game afterall. BUT I’M NOT BITTER.

Which is why I won’t be getting it. Besides, I’m looking at other games on the horizon.
Valkyria Chronicles, Persona 4, and Sacred 2 (I know it’s a Diablo clone, but I played the demo and I like the eye candy). :smiley:

Yes, that’s pretty much what they said. “Oblivion with guns”.

Disappointing…not many PC games coming out anymore (aside from h-games and Paradox Interactive) I’m looking forward to. They are all dumbed down sequals or crap games to begin with. Gone are the days of good RPGs like BG, Arcanum, Planscape Tournament, Fallout 1+2…

Hmmm, what games are you looking forward to then for PC? Personally, Bioware’s Dragon Age is one that looks quite interesting to me.

I was lucky enough to get one of those passes. I haven’t bought anything yet though.

Hmm…i don’t know. It does seem better than Fallout 3, but I’m not sure how much it’s focused talent/stat wise to basically being a dungeon crawler with dialogue-based rp choices. Ie, are their non-combat-related talents/stats that can affect outcomes/dialogue choice options? That’s what I haven’t seen yet to answer my question.

And it seems since BG1 Bioware has been moving away from that kind of stuff and just worrying about combat stuff and everything rp-wise is purely dialogue based, even if it is unreasonable to expect it.

I managed to get a the CD compilation version of the 2 games.

True, it has the same engine and the same voice actors.

Watch the videos on gamespot. Especially Demo part 5 Tenpenny Tower. 8)
The game looks awesome. To me it it feels like a real FO game. You just need to get used to the new style.

I know it’s a sequel, but I wants me some Red Alert 3. I’ve really been enjoying Tales of Vesperia… and Dead Space is looking pretty hot, so I might pick that up. Star Ocean: First Departure lands next week too. This is going to be a stupidly expensive month for me, I think ><.

The only thing I’ve bought so far is the PC version of an ancient animated laserdisc game. I don’t expect it to be very good but I never got to play those thing when I was young and they seemed very impressive then… :slight_smile:

I guess my problem with the game lies in that the original Fallout games were so different from the stuff that was out there at the time. The stories were fantastic, in part because you could read them. The world was vast and intricately detailed. And hey, the combat system was more than just “press mouse button down and spray bullets all over”.

I saw the videos. Yeah, the game looks great. But every new game looks great. So, what’s Fallout 3 like?

Fallout 3 is like…

… Oblivion with guns.
… Half-Life 2 without headcrabs.
… Bioshock without water.
… Doom 3 without Mars.
… Assassin’s Creed without acrobatics (and light).
… Far Cry and Crysis without tropical islands.
… Dead Space without “strategic dismemberment”.
(noticing a trend?)

Maybe I’m jaded, but I’d rather see them take the Fallout 2 engine and have them make Fallout 3 than see them take the Oblivion engine and make Fallout 3 from it. Because at least with the Fallout 2 engine, it would be something different. Right now, it all looks the same to me.

I want good gameplay. If good graphics were my only requirement, I’d stay in RL. The graphics are perfect there. :wink:

I would like to see the old engine too. The gameplayvideo of the supermarket felt like Condemned to me.

I’m sure the game will be great. I always loved Bethesda games (Daggerfall rocks!). Who is going to buy it?

Did you guys see the demos that Interplay (RIP) put together for Fallout 3 before their demise? It was mighty fine looking.

I might. But I’m going to wait a while first until BethSoft shakes out their usual soul crushing bugs like the infamous “Oh crap, half the people can’t get the Morrowind installation to work” bug.

I think it would be the Arcanum engine because that’s what it’s based off of.

The only good thing about Fallout 3 is that it’s easily moddable, so there is a chance we could get a more realistic Fallout 3 sequel, albeit with a stat-based first-person action game.

Uh, I hate to burst your bubble, but BethSoft has said they’re not planning on releasing the mod tools for FO3 for a long time. Whatever that means.

Probably an expansion.

Or when they officially stop working on any fixes themselves.

I ordered the Xbox360 L.E. version. Bethesda is famous for their bugs.