Feedback request on new game announcements

I’d like to get some feedback from the group here. Basically, we’ll be ready to make some new product announcements in the coming months (hopefully not too many of them). I’d like to ask if people prefer to know about games long in advance, even though (from this point) it may well be a year before a given game is ready to actually ship? Do you like being able to preorder a game from the get-go to be one of the first to get the game?

Or, do you like the former G-Collections style, which was to announce a title a little while before it was actually ready, surprising fans with much shorter notice ?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Well, personally, I’ve never pre-ordered a game. So I’m happy enough with a lead time of a few months. I think that’s enough to whet people’s appetites without inviting the “isn’t it ready yet?” bitching that can occur if people are aware of the game for longer periods of time.

And also, if you announce the game just a few months ahead of time, you’ll probably be able to provide a much more accurate estimate of when it’ll actually be finished.

This is my preferred option. Promises are easily breakable, and I still remember the Sakigake fiasco, do you know :frowning: ?

A short time advice option is more suitable.

ETR - extimated times of release - are not always reliable.
And personally i like more to get the game shortly after i pay for it. “Few, cursed, but immediately on my PC”. :wink:

I prefer the short time advice option.

How about somewhere between the two? Enough time to spread the word.

I’m with Mockingbird, I’d prefer somewhere in between too, enough progress on the localization of the game to have an estimated release date ( maybe 6 months?) and that would also prevent having another Little my maid like situation

[ 09-29-2006, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Nintakaru ]

well a short time is great, but also what we don’t want is to be told 2-3 months and wait 6 -12 months, that is all, basically when you say 2-3 months then we will understand around 5 months but would rather not know until there is a for sure time or exagerate … example; you think it will be completed around 3 months but shoot higher in case of any unexpedted delay, say an extra 3 months. because this serves 2 purpouses, you tell us 6 months when you think it takes 3 and actually get done in 3 … you will look alot better.

Those are my thoughts.

If you were releasing games at the same rate G-Collections did this would be my preferred choice, but as you are not I think a little longer in advance is better. Perhaps not as long as a year though, and only when the work is far enough along to give a reasonably accurate release date.

I probably prefer this style…even though I do like to be uodated about the new games to be released… But I think I’d rather want others to know or have played it first, so I can listen to thier opinions about that particular game…before I decide to even make a purchase…

On the one hand, I like to know things are currently being worked on. PeaPri is pretty slow, and it’s possible there will be quite a long time where “nothing” (appears to be) being worked on (because nothing’s been announced).

On the other hand, I don’t want to see any more repeats of Little My Maid (or Pandora’s Box, or Newscaster Mariko, or Slave Bazaar!).

So I guess an announcement after you’re sure you’re actually going to do a game … something like 6 months beforehand? would be nice. 6 months sounds like a good timeframe.

I agree with ms-long number (why?). I say have it 2-4 months before it is released but tell us that it will be ready in 4-6 months. You will look much better releasing the product “early.” Besides, it’s boring sitting around just waiting and waiting and waiting for the product to be finished.

Hmm… Most of us are hanging around the 6-month-mark. It seems you have your answer. :wink: But still, I say tell us it is projected at 6 months before it is finished when it is actually only 3-4 months before completion. Delays are inevitable, and this will offer leeway as a time buffer in case you really need those extra 2 or 3 months, and if you finish early, you can expect a big boost in your reputation.

[quote]
Originally posted by Scipoten:
[b] I agree with ms-long number (why?). I say have it 2-4 months before it is released but tell us that it will be ready in 4-6 months. You will look much better releasing the product “early.” Besides, it’s boring sitting around just waiting and waiting and waiting for the product to be finished.

Hmm… Most of us are hanging around the 6-month-mark. It seems you have your answer. :wink: But still, I say tell us it is projected at 6 months before it is finished when it is actually only 3-4 months before completion. Delays are inevitable, and this will offer leeway as a time buffer in case you really need those extra 2 or 3 months, and if you finish early, you can expect a big boost in your reputation. :stuck_out_tongue: I figured someone would agree sooner or later though.

Why the long number in your name?

made up… kinda garentees that this SN is available about everywhere.

Roger, thanks for the feedback. I agree 24+ months is way too long (not that we plan to ever make our customers go through that again ^_^;; :wink:

We’ll plan on starting projects and when the translations, at least, near completion we’ll announce them.

So look for some announcements soon.

Not that we have anything coming that soon.

Sakigake is one I really remember… I really was disappointed to hear that one cancelled :frowning: That was one of the really few that I was so anxiously awaiting so I rather see a few months after we know for sure. I never want to hear about such a great title being cancelled again.

I do sometimes preorder games. I like to preplan my gaming budget anyway, so I prefer approximately 6 months advanced notice. Anything less than 3 months and I end up having to wait an extra 3 months anyway to have the money to pay for it.

G-Collections style is good with me…
Just keep them rolin in and i will be a happy camper