Finished Knights of Xentar!

What can I say, it’s a great bishoujo RPG. I think it’s a bit better than Brave Soul. Though Brave Soul does have some qualities that are better than in Knights of Xentar’s.

The ending was nice, telling what happened to everyone. A refreshing change from the usual open-ending fare, which I hate…
But the last part of the ending disappointed me, though. Settle down, Desmond! The game is over!

Just like with Brave Soul, I’ll be writing a little review now that I have finished the game. Not now, though. Maybe tomorrow.

Knights of Xentar is a farce on RPGs, but most of the jokes I didn’t find funny because I have a strange sense of humor. But some of I did enjoy, though.

I recommend this game to anyone who can get their hands on it.
Thanks again, bokmeow, for selling it to me!

quote:
Originally posted by Benoit:

Well to those who are interested in the game apparently it's an abandoned game and is downloadable in this site:

link : (Edited out ^^; )

If this happens to be an illegal copy and not an abandoned game yet please tell me(or better yet inform someone who could do something about it ^^; ). I'm against piracy too!

I've been lurking in this forum once in a long while... never posted much [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by NU_ALERT (edited 10-02-2004).]

Abandonware IS illegal. All of it. No software has been around long enough for the copyrights to have expired. Every abandonware site is nothing but infringing downloads. Some old games were officially released as freeware but they are very rare exceptions

Abandonware sites aren’t often sued because 1) the smart ones comply with “take this down” requests, and 2) someone would have to sue them. True abandonware is, well, abandoned - essentially, this software has zero commercial potential, so it doesn’t pay to sue because that involves spending money to protect worthless property.

Even though I support the concept of abandonware, I don’t think it is welcome here. Assisting pirating of games, even out-of-print titles by long-bankrupt firms, is still against the rules.

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
Abandonware IS illegal. All of it. No software has been around long enough for the copyrights to have expired. Every abandonware site is nothing but infringing downloads. Some old games were officially released as freeware but they are very rare exceptions

Abandonware sites aren't often sued because 1) the smart ones comply with "take this down" requests, and 2) someone would have to sue them. True abandonware is, well, abandoned - essentially, this software has zero commercial potential, so it doesn't pay to sue because that involves spending money to protect worthless property.

Even though I support the concept of abandonware, I don't think it is welcome here. Assisting pirating of games, even out-of-print titles by long-bankrupt firms, is still against the rules.

ummm Thanks for the info I guess... Alwell apparently it does not work on my current computer anyways :/ well sorry if I caused any trouble.....

That site seemed so convincing about releasing legit abandonwares, they have a contact link and also told anyone who found a game that isn't suppose to be abandoned yet to contact them... I think they also mentioned in the site that they have claimed to had contacted the creators if they were allowed to release the games.... but to play it safe I edited the link out :S

I didn't mean to break any rules.....This is one of the reasons why I don't post that much.

I recall someone from one of the old post who have also posted the same site that carries abandonwares about another abandon bishoujo game why hasn’t he been told anything about doing wrong…

There are abandonware sites that publish only ‘officially’ abandoned games (not most of them, but a few), and there are abandonware sites that are very quick and polite about removing links if they are asked or if they find the game for sale anywhere. And there are good reasons for storing and trading copies of works that might otherwise be lost. It’s all a very murky area. Current copyright law is a bit broken when it comes to software, which is different from books and should be treated differently.

Yeah, I’m devolving into rant-and-ramble again. One perfectly good solution would be to require that software be renewed every five years (That’s the general timespan of a hardware cycle, isn’t it?). So you can maintain control; all you have to do is show that the company still exists and is still interested in the software. So things like Nintendo which do intend to make use of their popular NES games on modern platforms could keep them, and companies that have utterly folded and dont even have anyone to claim the rights anymore can have their works preserved by the interested public.

… of course, we also need an easy and convenient method of looking up something’s copyright status. Which isn’t that easy. I’m still trying to figure out how many years I have left before these books from the 1940’s lose coverage so I can scan them and put them online…

(Is there any way to get hold of and officially re-release the older bishoujo games, which would end the question? And FINISH PRINCESS MAKER 2? )

NOOO! My thread! :’(

But will those abandonware games run under Windows XP?

Sorry Benoit!

Okay, back on topic. Knights of Xentar is funny! Not very sexy, what I remember of it, but funny!

quote:
Originally posted by papillon:
Okay, back on topic. Knights of Xentar is funny! Not very sexy, what I remember of it, but funny!

Maybe I'm twisted, too, but I also thought Knights of Xentar was hella funny. I personally also didn't mind the "R" rated graphics, but I'm fine with just the insinuation. I would have liked to have seen a little more of Luna in the buff, though...

Couldn’t stop dreaming about catgirls after playing that game. (Sigh) Another game that I want but cant have.

quote:
... of course, we also need an easy and convenient method of *looking up* something's copyright status. Which isn't that easy. I'm still trying to figure out how many years I have left before these books from the 1940's lose coverage so I can scan them and put them online...
It depends on which country you're in. The rule for copyright's expiring is not as univeral as people think, nor is it as encompassing. Then again, rarely is stuff in law ever is what people think.
quote:
Originally posted by Benoit:
What can I say, it's a great bishoujo RPG. I think it's a bit better than Brave Soul. Though Brave Soul does have some qualities that are better than in Knights of Xentar's.

The ending was nice, telling what happened to everyone. A refreshing change from the usual open-ending fare, which I hate...
But the last part of the ending disappointed me, though. Settle down, Desmond! The game is over!

Just like with Brave Soul, I'll be writing a little review now that I have finished the game. Not now, though. Maybe tomorrow. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Knights of Xentar is a farce on RPGs, but most of the jokes I didn't find funny because I have a strange sense of humor. But some of I did enjoy, though. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again, bokmeow, for selling it to me!

If you ever wanna get rid of it hit me up Benoit [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img] . BTW I still haven't opened the True Love, It's still shrinkwrapped

Getting rid of it? Never!

Knights of Xentar was pretty good (I played the X-rated version), but I liked Brave Soul better. Brave Soul had the better battle system and graphics. Knights of Xentar might have had the better story. Brave Soul had A LOT of bugs, and it took me quite a while to figure out how to get around them. I didn’t have any problems with Knights of Xentar when I played it, but now that I’ve upgraded to XP I can’t even get it to work anymore, even with DOSBox…

Yeah, I also played the 18+ rating version.

I find Knights of Xentar’s and Brave Soul’s battle systems to be about the same, really. Just a different interface.

Heh, I only experienced a music bug which I already described multiple times on this board. The game never chrashed on me.
Good old Windows 95 OSR2. :slight_smile: