Full Screen mode in Family Project.

For some reason, scaling doesn’t work properly in Windows 7, at least not for Nvidia cards (dunno if ATI works). So either you will get no actual resolution change with massive black borders (scaling disabled), or you will get a full screen picture which will make the picture look very stretched if you’re using a widescreen LCD monitor as erogames aren’t made in widescreen format (full screen stretch)

It’s annoying as heck, and it’s the same in all version of Windows 7 and all Nvidia drivers. Hopefully it’ll get fixed in the future, but seeing as this has been a known issue since the very first Win 7 beta version, I’m not having high hopes it’ll get fixed anytime soon.

I’ve been debating trying Windows 7, but I’m very worried about compatibility.

As far as games working, Windows 7 is arguably better than Vista compatibility wise. Some games simply won’t work in a 64-bit OS at all though, whether it’s XP 64, Vista 64 or Win 7 64. Pretty much all my ero-games work with Windows 7, although there are certain exceptions. The download version of Crescendo for instance does not work with a 64 bit OS, whether Vista or Win 7, due to VMate not working with it. The disc version works though. I’d like to see the download versions have VMate removed since it’s pretty pointless nowadays. Anyone wanting to pirate that game now has long since done it, and it serves no purpose at all other than to prevent the game from working with future OS’es. At the very least they could move them over to software defender to fix an incompatibility that shouldn’t be there in the first place.

As for other games, I think pretty much all games released in the past couple of years have worked with Windows 7 64 bit. There are some exceptions, but by and large I’d say that easily 90-95% of the games you’re likely to own and play now works with Win 7.

The scaling problem is hopefully “easily” remedied by either Microsoft or the graphics card makers once Windows 7 officially releases, since it affects other games than just erogames.

You’d think they’d be able to have a 32-bit compatibility mode for sertain programs.

Actually, the problem isn’t that 64 bit OSes lack 32-bit support; they do support the vast majority of 32-bit programs. The problem is that they don’t support 16-bit programs, which means most programs meant to work on pre-Win XP OS’es. VMate is one of those programs that are designed to work with the old OS’es which sadly causes it to not work with a 64-bit one, or so it seems to me at least. And seeing as VMate seems to have been dumped for Software Defender for new titles, I’m not hopeful that we’ll see the VMate titles work with a 64-bit OS any time soon.

Edit
While Windows 95/98 technically handled 32-bit code, a lot of the software designed for it was 16-bit. I’m not really a techie, so I can’t really give a more detailed/accurate explanation than that.