G-cols vote

Actually I wouldn’t even recommend the games just for the CG, either. The CG is old and rather outdated. Plus I seem to remember it being of some sort of old style where they evade censorship laws by only showing the girl (which personally is like “huh? wha?”)

Yeah, but by the third picture in the sequence, wasn’t she always splattered with… uh… goo, or something? Ah, the joys of pixelated censorship…

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
Actually I wouldn't even recommend the games just for the CG, either. The CG is old and rather outdated. Plus I seem to remember it being of some sort of old style where they evade censorship laws by only showing the girl (which personally is like "huh? wha?")

Old CG itself would not bother me so much as no plot and old CG that might be pixeled.

Actually, I think it is all a matter of opinion. Nandemonai (I believe he is the one) is very vocal about his distaste for Legend of the Fairies, but I personally enjoyed it as a pleasant diversion. True, I wouldn’t rank it up there as a bishoujo classic, but there are games with worse quality CG’s that people fawn over (May Club is an example), and I personally think it had a better plot than my copy of Kango Shicyouzo–but then, I didn’t really like that game. The only problem is that it is esentially a story… you click the mouse, you read the story. No decisions, no alternate endings. And I thought the catgirl fairy was kinda cute… But, as with most things, that is my opinion.

[This message has been edited by Wolfson (edited 08-18-2004).]

Yea but Mayclub actually had a really cool premise and style for going about getting the girls.

I liked the May Club game and would like to visit a real May Club if only there were a real May Club. Actually some say the idea of it is far fetched but it was a lot more original and still is then some of the games coming out today.

I didn’t say that May Club was bad… I enjoyed playing it, too. But the graphics certainly weren’t really hot as far as they went. The point is that they don’t detract from anyone’s enjoyment of the game.

Yeah the premise for may club was good but yeah the graphics were really dated. What were they 256 colors or was it 64 An updated may club would be interesting.

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
Yeah the premise for may club was good but yeah the graphics were really dated. What were they 256 colors or was it 64 [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img] An updated may club would be interesting.

They made one. Didn't get translated though (real shocker there, since the company had gone under long before).

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
Yeah the premise for may club was good but yeah the graphics were really dated. What were they 256 colors or was it 64 [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img] An updated may club would be interesting.

I remember hearing about this, it also said something about adding a new character to the game.

I also liked the “Fairy” games - yes it was a novel but i enjoyed read it. I think it was a mahjong game originally but all the mahjong battle scenes were cut (lack of time? lack of knowledge about mahjong in the west? they could have made it skippable… oh well)
May Club was nice - especially since there wasn’t much to choose from at the time.

On previous topic - elf girls would be very … welcome but i don’t think fortuna will be translated - it’s a rpg and g-collection translated only AVG’s so far. RPG’s are considered too much work i think. But in his last post Vaga42Bond mentioned Sumeragi no Mikotachi as possible - and it is a RPG… kinda so i don’t lose hope.

quote:
Originally posted by Tenchi:
I also liked the "Fairy" games - yes it was a novel but i enjoyed read it. I think it was a mahjong game originally but all the mahjong battle scenes were cut (lack of time? lack of knowledge about mahjong in the west? they could have made it skippable... oh well)

I doubt this. The game made plot points of how well the mahjonng was played, being depenent on which fairies were helping you. You (the game player) can't become a better mahjonng player because of who is in the party. (Well, maybe you can, I know nothing about mahjonng, but it doesn't seem likely.)

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
I doubt this. The game made plot points of how well the mahjonng was played, being depenent on which fairies were helping you. You (the game player) can't become a better mahjonng player because of who is in the party. (Well, maybe you can, I know nothing about mahjonng, but it doesn't seem likely.)

I am not sure myself, but the interface which came up during the mahjonng battles seemed a tad too detailed and thought out to be a decoration.

It didn’t matter. It was a fixed plot.

The point to the Shikigami, Nandemonai, were that they became the Battler’s spirit familars, a common concept in Western Magicks. They strengthened his (or her) abilities, willpower, and spirit.

The Mahjong playing was the “Heart of the Tiles/Cards” thing. The stronger willed person always wins, etc etc etc. It’s a basic idea that permeates the anime card games currently showing in the States. The Battler’s Shikigami, having strengthened and amplified thier master, improved his connection with that aspect. It would have been just the same if they rolled dice or played poker or bridge or whatever. They odds would favor the stronger, rather then being evenly split.

Effiectively, it was a rip of Poke-mon Trainer and his Poki, only they play Mahjong rather then battle it out on a soccer field, so the company making the story saved on Art. If all Poke-mon were half human and half something else (Cat Girls, Bird Girls, etc etc etc), you’d have Legends of Fairie and Fairie Nights.

[This message has been edited by Darkstar (edited 08-23-2004).]