Gary Gygax is dead

Since we have RPGamers here: Gary Gygax died today, at the age of 69.
Here’s WotC’s homage to him.

RIP, Gary. Thanks to your genius idea, I lived and still live the best moments of my life, having found the best hobby ever.

I started playing D&D back in the later seventies, and by 1980 I found myself managing the game department of my local hobby shop and running a weekly dungeon (for about ten years before I burned out). Of course I read every issue of Dragon and closely followed the turbulent history of TSR. Gigax was a pretty colorful character, often full of horseshit. I remember I particularly disagreed with something he once wrote that was critical of DMs who made up their own house rules. It it was pretty outrageous the way the suits dicked him out of the company he founded. But I guess he was never the businessman. Without him, there probably would never have been RPGs, and our lives would have been a lot smaller. It’s sad. Another icon of my youth passes over the horizon.

His surname is actually spelt Gygax. And sheesh, the guy was only 69 years old. But still, he left us quite a legacy.

Looks like he failed his saving throw. Rest in peace Gary, you wonderful man.

Did he drop any good loot?

The best ever: the very concept of RPG. He dropped it and left it for us to inherit.

My heartfelt sympathies to his family. I’m sure he’s in a much better place than the one we’re in now. :cry:

And his original creation is having mixed results.

lol, that’s not what I meant and you know it. Or do you? Yeah, yeah you do…

Of course he dropped some phat lewtz. But the way it generally works is they’re allocated to his family, something about a “will and testament”.

I think we’ll try to have some kind of dedication to him at our anime convention since it’s later this month.

The Mountain Of Celestia welcomes him…

To quote another poster on a different board…

“When I heard Gary had died, I rolled a will save for grief… I rolled a 2 ; ;”